HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #6,406 of 25,872
Can you share some differences in sound between the fenestrated sheepskin and the stock pads that you hear?
I only had a few minutes with them before I had to leave town for a while. It will take more listening to confirm anything. I can only say at this point that there was nothing to not like. The treble was crisp and clean; the bass was well defined and full; mids are not recessed; the isolation, fit, and comfort are improved. I LOVE that my ears no longer touch. More than that will take some time. I don't know that I have the sonic memory to make any meaningful comparisons back to the stock pads. I will not be swapping them back to confirm because I am so through with the fit and feel of the OEM pads. These are better in all regards.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #6,407 of 25,872
Some more impressions of the fenestrated pads. These pads have less bass quantity but the same quality. Bass notes start and end faster on the dekoni pads. The stock pads will rumble longer and gives songs a warmer tonality. There is a smoother transition from mids to treble with the fenestrated pads. The dekoni pads are brighter with no added fatigue. Despite being insanely detailed the stock pads sound veiled compared to the dekoni pads.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #6,408 of 25,872
Some more impressions of the fenestrated pads. These pads have less bass quantity but the same quality. Bass notes start and end faster on the dekoni pads. The stock pads will rumble longer and gives songs a warmer tonality. There is a smoother transition from mids to treble with the fenestrated pads. The dekoni pads are brighter with no added fatigue. Despite being insanely detailed the stock pads sound veiled compared to the dekoni pads.
how can it be incredibly detailed and veiled at the same time?

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #6,409 of 25,872
how can it be incredibly detailed and veiled at the same time?
He's saying the stock pads were already so detailed, but compared to the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin ones, they sound veiled. I agree, these pads definitely highlight details.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #6,410 of 25,872
Thanks for the impressions. Not sure I like the 'less bass' part... :) We'll see. I'm mainly hoping for them to be a little deeper. They should arrive first half of next week.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #6,412 of 25,872
I was disappointed with the wa33 as a pre to the apollon amp, especially with the 300b 2.5v tubes which gave a persistent background hum. It was silent when using the 2a3 tubes but then I lost some mid and low end meatiness.

After a friend suggested it, I tried Rockna Wavelight to Apollon today and it is nothing short of a revelation. Rca cables from the dac to power amp, then triode wire labs speaker tap adaptors to susvara. I am completely floored at the sound im getting.. I've not ever heard the susvara like this. Its like the music comes out in a breath, appearing out of nowhere and the background is so black. The soundstage just blew up so wide, and the layering and depth is just amazing. That bass omg the low end is giving me goosebumps.

I don't think I can go back to using the wa33 for the Susvara.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #6,413 of 25,872
Thanks for the impressions. Not sure I like the 'less bass' part... :) We'll see. I'm mainly hoping for them to be a little deeper. They should arrive first half of next week.
Less doesn't have to mean insufficient. It is well-controlled. The guy with a sub-woofer in his trunk that rattles the license plate has "more bass" but not better bass. In the couple of Mark Knopfler tunes I was able to listen to before I left, the bass was there and I thought that it was well balanced. I am pleased that it didn't turn them into Beats or Skullcandy.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6,414 of 25,872
Less doesn't have to mean insufficient. It is well-controlled. The guy with a sub-woofer in his trunk that rattles the license plate has "more bass" but not better bass. In the couple of Mark Knopfler tunes I was able to listen to before I left, the bass was there and I thought that it was well balanced. I am pleased that it didn't turn them into Beats or Skullcandy.
I am quite happy with the low end 'rumble' I currently hear with stock pads and gear. I just hope I don't lose (too much) of that with these Dekoni pads ... What you're describing sounds good though! :)

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,415 of 25,872
I am quite happy with the low end 'rumble' I currently hear with stock pads and gear. I just hope I don't lose (too much) of that with these Dekoni pads ... What you're describing sounds good though! :)
I love full, accurate bass and don't feel like I sacrificed anything in that department with the Dekoni Sheepskin pads. The main difference for me from the stock pads relates to soundstage presentation. It's somewhat hard to describe, but "rounder" comes to mind.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's impressions of these.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #6,416 of 25,872
This is the camp I’m in. I really don’t have an issue with the stock pads comfort or sound quality. The Susvara’s are hard enough to get to sound right. Changing pads I feel adds another variable to have to compensate for. Albeit I do like the looks of the Dekoni Pads.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #6,417 of 25,872
I think the J2 and the XA30.8 are the only balanced Pass power amps that make sense for the Susvara. After that, you are out of Class A construction and are buying power (cost, weight, heat, and complexity) that you clearly do not need.

I think I agree that "low power" speaker amps in the 20-30 watt range is about the Susvara's sweet spot.

So long as the amp's gain is sufficient for a person's listening levels, of course (like if they listen to lots of classical).

I also agree with the recent post (can't find it now) that higher gain amps mean extra attenuation, which just can't be entirely optimal, all things considered. My X150.8 has a gain of 26dB which results in me setting my digital preamp volume to like -40dB most of the time. And with the Utopia, -60dB (!). The DAVE digital pre is very good and all that, but still.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #6,418 of 25,872
This is the camp I’m in. I really don’t have an issue with the stock pads comfort or sound quality. The Susvara’s are hard enough to get to sound right. Changing pads I feel adds another variable to have to compensate for. Albeit I do like the looks of the Dekoni Pads.
This is the wrong camp to be in. Try these pads, you can return them if you don't like them. They really bring out the best from the Susvara. I have no complaints with the bass or rumble with these, if anything I think it's better defined.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #6,419 of 25,872
As much as I am intrigued by different pad options, I have had the susvara such a short time that I feel like I need to figure it out stock first. I have already added a more powerful tube amp with all the tube combinations to sort through as well as the m scaler 1 week ago.

I have 4 sets of pads for my ZMF Verite and my Empy's came new with 2 versions.
I'll continue reading the reviews as more folks try these and I'm sure I'll be getting some to keep up with the cool kids sooner than later!

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,420 of 25,872
This is the wrong camp to be in. Try these pads, you can return them if you don't like them. They really bring out the best from the Susvara. I have no complaints with the bass or rumble with these, if anything I think it's better defined.
Maybe I will. Like you said, I can always return them. Plus, I like the way the Susvara’s look with the perforated pads. I’ve had my Susvara’s for 3 years now. Most of that time was spent amp searching trying to dial in their sound. I’ve settled on the modded FA-10 as the best I’ve heard them on to me. I also have the V281 and the Formula S and I still prefer the FA-10 with them. The midrange on the FA-10 is something special. I’ve never heard midrange performance like that on a solid state amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back