HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #6,391 of 25,919
Yeah I've never tried to remove the pads and I'm a little apprehensive to do so ... Looking forward to hearing how it went... and how you like them. I'm also considering these, esp. if the pads are deeper. I am not sure which of the 4 types to get. Most of you seem to have chosen the fenestrated one, so far.

Initial impression is that these pads sound awesome. Detail retrieval has increased without giving up the smoothness of the stock pads. Everything sounds tight and cohesive. Comfort so far is equal to the stock pads. I ordered these pads yesterday at 4pm and they arrived in 1 day. Good job Dekoni! I'll be back in a few hours after I do more extensive listening.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #6,392 of 25,919
Yes, in my speaker rig, I use an XP32 preamp and a X250.8 power amp.

What other preamps have you compared XP32 to?

My dilemma is that I got a big SQ improvement when I switched my hd800S from the Audio gd he9 to the pass x350.8 (using he9 as pre). And now im wondering if ill get another big step up with a pass pre (or something else of higher performance than the he9). Not sure.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #6,393 of 25,919
What other preamps have you compared XP32 to?

My dilemma is that I got a big SQ improvement when I switched my hd800S from the Audio gd he9 to the pass x350.8 (using he9 as pre). And now im wondering if ill get another big step up with a pass pre (or something else of higher performance than the he9). Not sure.

The XP32 sits at the heart of my speaker rig. Part of that rig is also the BHSE/Stax combination, connected via the Tape Out of the XP32.
The Susvara is part of my desktop rig. The weakest link in the current desktop rig is the headphone amplifier part of the HPA4. That's what I want to replace with a small Pass speaker amp. For the Susvara setup I am happy with a good enough preamp like the HPA4 or the built-in digital volume control of the Tambaqui DAC. IMO, using an XP32 or something similar for a Headphone rig only is slightly over the top :wink:

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #6,394 of 25,919
The XP32 sits at the heart of my speaker rig. Part of that rig is also the BHSE/Stax combination, connected via the Tape Out of the XP32.
The Susvara is part of my desktop rig. The weakest link in the current desktop rig is the headphone amplifier part of the HPA4. That's what I want to replace with a small Pass speaker amp. For the Susvara setup I am happy with a good enough preamp like the HPA4 or the built-in digital volume control of the Tambaqui DAC. IMO, using an XP32 or something similar for a Headphone rig only is slightly over the top :wink:

I'll be using it for dual purpose (also to drive my speaker chain). Thinking of maybe trying out a tube pre since never had tubes before.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #6,395 of 25,919
Initial impression is that these pads sound awesome. Detail retrieval has increased without giving up the smoothness of the stock pads. Everything sounds tight and cohesive. Comfort so far is equal to the stock pads. I ordered these pads yesterday at 4pm and they arrived in 1 day. Good job Dekoni! I'll be back in a few hours after I do more extensive listening.
Just ordered these as well. Let's see how fast they can deliver to Europe.. :)

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #6,398 of 25,919
I'll be using it for dual purpose (also to drive my speaker chain). Thinking of maybe trying out a tube pre since never had tubes before.
Which tube pre do you have in sight?

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #6,399 of 25,919
Sajid I’ve been reading more of your posts of the Susvara headphone however I have to stop and leave, you are becoming a bad influence as I just recently set up my first desk top system using the He1000SE .

Before I say good bye i have a comment,.....”Nelson Pass” one of the true greats in amplifier design , back in the day my very first taste of high end I bought a used Nelson Pass Stasis 3 amplifier to power Magnapan 3a speakers , high current not watts per channel was of course needed to bring the Maggie’s to life And finally Sajid i implore you to try a Sablon Audio USB cable in your fine front end.
Okay. Let me look them up. 🙂

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #6,400 of 25,919
Which tube pre do you have in sight?

Not sure yet still looking around. Thinking of both production and custom options. Any recommendations? I Was thinking it would be cool if I could get a custom maker to make me something that competes will with much more pricey production stuff.

Not the chassis but something with internal work like this:

1611740364656.png

1611740324727.png

Attachments

• 1611740321379.png
    1611740321379.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #6,401 of 25,919
Not sure yet still looking around. Thinking of both production and custom options. Any recommendations? I Was thinking it would be cool if I could get a custom maker to make me something that competes will with much more pricey production stuff.

Not the chassis but something with internal work like this
That VAC is an interesting choice. You might as well reach for the Xs and perfectly complement the 350.8.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #6,402 of 25,919
Add me to the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pad fan club. My condolences to the family of the particular sheep who has some skin in the game, but it was a noble sacrifice. I don't notice them being particularly thicker than the OEM's, maybe a little, but they compress less easily and manage to retain some gap between my ears and the grid over the driver. They are much more comfortable; seal well, and sound great. The PITA HifiMan mounting method is less a problem with these pads because the tabs are more substantial and they don't fold up on themselves while you are trying to install them. I had little trouble with the installation. They are marked LEFT and RIGHT and they match the contour of the phones very well. A winner.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #6,403 of 25,919
Add me to the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pad fan club. My condolences to the family of the particular sheep who has some skin in the game, but it was a noble sacrifice. I don't notice them being particularly thicker than the OEM's, maybe a little, but they compress less easily and manage to retain some gap between my ears and the grid over the driver. They are much more comfortable; seal well, and sound great. The PITA HifiMan mounting method is less a problem with these pads because the tabs are more substantial and they don't fold up on themselves while you are trying to install them. I had little trouble with the installation. They are marked LEFT and RIGHT and they match the contour of the phones very well. A winner.
Can you share some differences in sound between the fenestrated sheepskin and the stock pads that you hear?

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #6,405 of 25,919
Anyone go for a Dekoni version other than the Elite Fenestrated?
I ordered a set of the Dekoni Elite Velour along with the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads. I haven't auditioned the Velour pads yet, and may just return them without doing so, as I much prefer the texture and pad firmness of the Sheepskin. The Velour pads are very similar to the stock in terms of look and feel, and a fair bit less expensive. If it were a piece of cake to change pads on the Susvara, I'd probably at least listen to the Velour, but I'm extremely happy with the overall sonics from the Sheepskin, and really like the bit of extra clamp they provide. With the stock pads, it never felt like the Susvara was securely in place on my head; now it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back