HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #4,816 of 25,603
I read in recent post that you mention with your special hi-end DAVE dac the benchmark HPA4 sound better than the a90. Do you think the improvement to you justify the upgrade from a90 to HPA4?

Also what is your favorite amp among all of these amps.

The DAVE is great with all of my headphones except for the Susvara and Phi TC (and obviously the SR1a as they require special amplification). But when coupled with the DAVE, I absolutely love the HPA4 and the Susvara...just a brilliant, clean, transparent and highly detailed presentation and totally worth the extra funds to my ears.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #4,817 of 25,603
The DAVE is great with all of my headphones except for the Susvara and Phi TC (and obviously the SR1a as they require special amplification). But when coupled with the DAVE, I absolutely love the HPA4 and the Susvara...just a brilliant, clean, transparent and highly detailed presentation and totally worth the extra funds to my ears.
Thanks :) btw I really like your profile photo. The owl look so damn cool ^^ 😎

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #4,818 of 25,603
I am sure that tighter and more articulated bass is a possible outcome with better cables, and that includes both digital and analog cables.
You may be sure, but there is absolutely zero scientific evidence to support such subjective claims. Evidence based around people who say trust me, after I spent hundreds or thousands of dollars I heard a difference is not evidence and should not be presented as such.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #4,819 of 25,603
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #4,820 of 25,603
Here are a few great starts...I prefer orthos with solid state amplifiers personally as I find them to sound more dynamic and transparent due to their ability to supply higher current than tube amplifiers (generally speaking of course). But here is a quick list:

Solid State Options:
Benchmark HPA4
HeadAmp GS-X mini
HeadAmp GS-X mk2
XIAudio Formula S

Tube Amp Options:
Woo Audio WA33

Absolutely need to add the Bakoon AMP-13R to that list.

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/amplifiers/susvara/

Also, the Wells Headtrip II. It was designed for the Abyss 1266 Phi, but I'm sure it will do wonders paired with the Susvara. I should have mine delivered in a week and will report back.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #4,821 of 25,603
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,822 of 25,603
You may be sure, but there is absolutely zero scientific evidence to support such subjective claims. Evidence based around people who say trust me, after I spent hundreds or thousands of dollars I heard a difference is not evidence and should not be presented as such.

This is a place there we share sonic impressions and I don’t need no scientific evidence to hear which bass that sounds tighter. We have a special section for discussing scientific and pseudo-scientific stuff.

We lack scientific evidence for most things related to high fidelity. Does it make them all (impressions) false*, or just then it comes to cables?

* Rhetoric question, no need to answer

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,823 of 25,603
I had tried susvara from Headtrip reference & Krell s275 power amp(via HFN adapter). I think with susvara both quality/quantity amplification matters.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4,824 of 25,603

I respect your opinions and general input on this thread, I am sure you know that, or at least I am assuming it, but I am also reaffirming it now, so that you will know I am not asking the following question with any inappropriate intentions. I am absolutely convinced that the DAVE will shine with the HPA4, as you say, but is that shining more attributable to the DAVE or to the HPA-4?. I ask because there is a question that this evaluation is begging. The Dave is a very expensive DAC that many cannot afford. Now if I were to purchase an HPA-4 on the basis of this recommendation and pair it with, say, a Schiit Bifrost or an RME ADI-2 DAC, will the HPA-4 do as well with the Susvara, or will it all but lose the delta between itself and the Topping A90, as it did for this other reviewer who was pairing the HPA-4 with "Matrix Audio Element X, Denafrips Venus and Topping D90 MQA as TOTL DACs." It almost strikes me that your evaluation here is more of an unequivocal thumbs up for the DAVE, or for the HPA-4 paired with the DAVE, rather than it is an unqualified endorsement of the HPA-4 itself, which is the real component of interest in this particular issue. That indeed makes me curious as to how the Topping A90 too might fare with the DAVE, for example, were it to be given that opportunity.

The more important question, though, is this : If I have a Schiit Bifrost or an RME ADI-2 DAC, and I know that I can never afford a DAVE in the foreseeable future or even in my lifetime, then which of the these two would be the smartest buy for my money? The HPA-4, which will never give me the HPA-4 + DAVE performance with the susvara, or the Topping A90 which might give me a performance rivaling that of the HPA4 (at least according to that review from soundnews.net) while saving me around $2500, that I could spend on other enhancements to my system? I know you see where I am going with this line of thinking... :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #4,825 of 25,603
I respect your opinions and general input on this thread, I am sure you know that, or at least I am assuming it, but I am also reaffirming it now, so that you will know I am not asking the following question with any inappropriate intentions. I am absolutely convinced that the DAVE will shine with the HPA4, as you say, but is that shining more attributable to the DAVE or to the HPA-4?. I ask because there is a question that this evaluation is begging. The Dave is a very expensive DAC that many cannot afford. Now if I were to purchase an HPA-4 on the basis of this recommendation and pair it with, say, a Schiit Bifrost or an RME ADI-2 DAC, will the HPA-4 do as well with the Susvara, or will it all but lose the delta between itself and the Topping A90, as it did for this other reviewer who was pairing the HPA-4 with "Matrix Audio Element X, Denafrips Venus and Topping D90 MQA as TOTL DACs." It almost strikes me that your evaluation here is more of an unequivocal thumbs up for the DAVE, or for the HPA-4 paired with the DAVE, rather than it is an unqualified endorsement of the HPA-4 itself, which is the real component of interest in this particular issue. That indeed makes me curious as to how the Topping A90 too might fare with the DAVE, for example, were it to be given that opportunity.

The more important question, though, is this : If I have a Schiit Bifrost or an RME ADI-2 DAC, and I know that I can never afford a DAVE in the foreseeable future or even in my lifetime, then which of the these two would be the smartest buy for my money? The HPA-4, which will never give me the HPA-4 + DAVE performance with the susvara, or the Topping A90 which might give me a performance rivaling that of the HPA4 (at least according to that review from soundnews.net) while saving me around $2500, that I could spend on other enhancements to my system? I know you see where I am going with this line of thinking... :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I wouldn't worry about the DAVE or not the DAVE, just go with the best unit that you like and can afford...and then worry about upgrades (if any) down the road. The HPA4 is a very neutral and balanced sounding amplifier, so it pairs with a lot more than say a brighter amplifier or a warm amplifier where you might want to look in the opposite direction for a DAC / Source. Will the HPA4 sound great with the Bifrost? Sure, absolutely...and then down the road you can look to upgrade the Bifrost to say a Yggy 2 (or something else). I have tried the A90 with a DAVE and it was great for the value, but came off dry, not as nimble as the Susvara (and held it back in this regard to quickness and transparency) and overall sound staging. Is it a great budget stop-gap along the journey? At that price...sure. But headphones like the Susvara are like a Ferrari and like a Ferrari won't hit its full stride without the complete piece of kit surrounding it in support (source, DAC, amplification, cables, etc...).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #4,826 of 25,603
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4,827 of 25,603
Could you please enlighten me with some options for better amplifier that I may upgrade to in the future?

It was mentioned also Laxman P750 was capable with susvara by an owner of both.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #4,828 of 25,603
It was mentioned also Laxman P750 was capable with susvara by an owner of both.
All of the good amp that work well with Susvara are so hi-end 😝

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #4,829 of 25,603
Are the Susvara bought in Chinese (come with Chinese booklet bought from retail in China) warranty transferable without the receipt)

I heard hifiman can check trace the headphone production unit no. So if the receipt is loss they will still cover the warranty. is it true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back