HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #4,801 of 25,604
I see many folks here discussing how the Susvara needs crazy good amplication. I took a different route and optimized everything before the DAC. I now have a uptone etherregen into a SOTM ultra neo feeding a SOTM txusb ultra into a Mutec mc3+ usb before going into the Mscaler. All the devices before going into the Mscaler is being clocked by a Mutec Ref10. It is one of the biggest most dramatic change in all my years of audio. It cost me alot but it was worth the effort and definitely had a much more profound effect than any amplication I threw at the Susvara.

I did all that, added power equipment, cables, cords, sans the mutec, and at the end I'm still wondering how much higher an endgame amp will bring the susvara. Lol!

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #4,802 of 25,604
What amplifiers did you own before WA33
JDS Element, Schiit Magni, Hugo 2, LTA MicroZotl MZ2, Hugo TT2, WA33 standard

(I owned some of these prior to having a Susvara)

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #4,803 of 25,604
JDS Element, Schiit Magni, Hugo 2, LTA MicroZotl MZ2, Hugo TT2, WA33 standard

(I owned some of these prior to having a Susvara)
I can see a typical headfi-ers progression through that journey

my own (without mentioning portables) o2, burson soloist, v200, wa2, taurus, v280, (still currently have these last three for now) nimbus us4 (incoming)

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #4,804 of 25,604
I did all that, added power equipment, cables, cords, sans the mutec, and at the end I'm still wondering how much higher an endgame amp will bring the susvara. Lol!

i'm pretty happy with the cavalli liquid gold driving it. With the master clock, it seriously took things to a whole new level. There is much more depth and texture in everything. If you like experimenting, i really recommend you to try out the whole master clocking thingy. In my opinion, with a highly resolving headphone like the Susvara, you can definitely hear a big difference. Having said what I said, we still need to make sure there is decent amplification to bring out the best in the Susvara.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #4,805 of 25,604
Currently using the topping a90. It’s ok with enough power but I feel that it can still go a long with better amping.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #4,806 of 25,604
Currently using the topping a90. It’s ok with enough power but I feel that it can still go a long with better amping.

Most definitely. The Topping is a great entry-level amplifier, but these headphones scale far beyond to my ears.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #4,807 of 25,604
Most definitely. The Topping is a great entry-level amplifier, but these headphones scale far beyond to my ears.
Could you please enlighten me with some options for better amplifier that I may upgrade to in the future?

Oct 3, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #4,809 of 25,604
I was playing around with Roon dsd upsampling and I think I've found my sweet spot. Try the following and let me know what you think!

Surprising results between non-upsampled and Roon dsd upsampling. I'm now getting really fantastic sounding mids and mid bass, with rumbling low end/sub bass and strong punch. The center image/vocals sound more focused. The highs sound like they've been brought down a level or two in dB resulting in a much more pleasing and better balanced overall sound.

As disabling/enabling the upsampling is pretty much on the fly (single mouse click with miniscule delay in resumption of music), the differences can be easily heard and compared.

Screenshot_20201003-180431_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpgScreenshot_20201003-180446_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #4,810 of 25,604
I was playing around with Roon dsd upsampling and I think I've found my sweet spot. Try the following and let me know what you think!

Surprising results between non-upsampled and Roon dsd upsampling. I'm now getting really fantastic sounding mids and mid bass, with rumbling low end/sub bass and strong punch. The center image/vocals sound more focused. The highs sound like they've been brought down a level or two in dB resulting in a much more pleasing and better balanced overall sound.

As disabling/enabling the upsampling is pretty much on the fly (single mouse click with miniscule delay in resumption of music), the differences can be easily heard and compared.

I am going to try the EQ profile now, thanks for sharing. The upsampling does not work with the M Scaler, results in static..

Update: so I cannot try the upsampling with the M Scaler, but I am now using the EQ profile, and I think it sounds great. I am not very good at describing what I hear, but I would say it sounds 'fuller' and less 'tinny', if that makes sense. The difference is quite dramatic..

Thanks again for sharing this! Makes me enjoy these headphones even more. I lent them for a few days, very glad to have them back.. :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #4,811 of 25,604
I am going to try the EQ profile now, thanks for sharing. The upsampling does not work with the M Scaler, results in static..

Update: so I cannot try the upsampling with the M Scaler, but I am now using the EQ profile, and I think it sounds great. I am not very good at describing what I hear, but I would say it sounds 'fuller' and less 'tinny', if that makes sense. The difference is quite dramatic..

Thanks again for sharing this! Makes me enjoy these headphones even more. I lent them for a few days, very glad to have them back.. :)

Most welcome. I am really enjoying the susvara with the EQ. It really is a dramatic difference indeed!

Try removing the mscaler for a short while and try dsd upsampling in Roon. It takes that "fuller and less tinny" sound to the next level. Definitely another noticeable change, and an improvement in my opinion.

Lemme know how that goes for you!

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #4,812 of 25,604
Could you please enlighten me with some options for better amplifier that I may upgrade to in the future?

Here are a few great starts...I prefer orthos with solid state amplifiers personally as I find them to sound more dynamic and transparent due to their ability to supply higher current than tube amplifiers (generally speaking of course). But here is a quick list:

Solid State Options:
Benchmark HPA4
HeadAmp GS-X mini
HeadAmp GS-X mk2
XIAudio Formula S

Tube Amp Options:
Woo Audio WA33

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #4,813 of 25,604
Here are a few great starts...I prefer orthos with solid state amplifiers personally as I find them to sound more dynamic and transparent due to their ability to supply higher current than tube amplifiers (generally speaking of course). But here is a quick list:

Solid State Options:
Benchmark HPA4
HeadAmp GS-X mini
HeadAmp GS-X mk2
XIAudio Formula S

Tube Amp Options:
Woo Audio WA33
Thank you very much :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #4,814 of 25,604
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #4,815 of 25,604

Solid State Options:
Benchmark HPA4
HeadAmp GS-X mini
HeadAmp GS-X mk2
XIAudio Formula S

Tube Amp Options:
Woo Audio WA33
I read in recent post that you mention with your special hi-end DAVE dac the benchmark HPA4 sound better than the a90. Do you think the improvement to you justify the upgrade from a90 to HPA4?

Also what is your favorite amp among all of these amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back