HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #4,771 of 25,674
I input them manually. Takes a short time to do so, but I like the results. Remember to set the preamp eq of -4.6dB (slide the main horizontal bar downwards). Also, for the first line of the eq, I couldn't get it down to 16hz as it defaults to 20hz. No biggie.
Which filter type do you use when you create the profile in Roon? Low shelf etc? I should probably look for a good YouTube video on this..

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #4,773 of 25,674
I find the Utopia to have a rise from 5-7 kHz, and that can make cans sound more dynamic, and to increase the sense of details. Overall they are fairly flat. Note: I did not hear them with the 5-7 k range EQ'd.

OTOH the Susvaras have the very annoying midrange suckout at 1.9 kHz that give a sense of depth, but also slightly hollow vocals. They also have a rise at 8-10 kHz which gives that HFM long cymbal decay thing. They clearly need an EQ to get near flat.

Yes.

I heard them months apart on different rigs. Utopias are a very good can, although un-EQ'd I prefer the Clears. I do think that the Susvaras are the best planars available, but like every HFM I own/know, best get a digital parametric EQ to get the most out of them.

I never felt the need to EQ either headphones (unlike the HD800 and SR1a) because they were fairly well balanced on my setup. You may be right about the frequency aberrancies but I didn't hear those to be trouble regions in my config.

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #4,774 of 25,674
Which filter type do you use when you create the profile in Roon? Low shelf etc? I should probably look for a good YouTube video on this..

Use peak type for all the filters.
Keep at it! You're almost there!

One other thing I realised on my setup is I get more bass punch and nicer mids when upsampling to DSD in roon. As it is just a single on the fly mouse click to turn on/off upsampling, the comparison was an easy one to make (ie pcm vs dsd).

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #4,775 of 25,674
Use peak type for all the filters.
Keep at it! You're almost there!

One other thing I realised on my setup is I get more bass punch and nicer mids when upsampling to DSD in roon. As it is just a single on the fly mouse click to turn on/off upsampling, the comparison was an easy one to make (ie pcm vs dsd).
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I will also check out the upsampling. I wonder if that will make much of a difference with the m scaler, maybe more with the D90.

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #4,776 of 25,674
I never felt the need to EQ either headphones (unlike the HD800 and SR1a) because they were fairly well balanced on my setup. You may be right about the frequency aberrancies but I didn't hear those to be trouble regions in my config.

Could u give the eq I posted a shot? Just curious to see what you think about it. I used to shy away from eq, and also didn't think I needed it with my other headphones, but with the susvara the eq tweak has made it a lot more enjoyable for me.

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #4,777 of 25,674
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I will also check out the upsampling. I wonder if that will make much of a difference with the m scaler, maybe more with the D90.

No prob man.
Since you're doing the eq in Roon, I am using the following as well, to even out the -4.6 preamp setting when comparing eq on/off.

With EQ on, don't use headroom function.
With EQ off, turn on headroom function and set -4.6dB

That way the volume is equal when comparing eq on/off and don't need to adjust volume dial on headphone amp.

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #4,778 of 25,674
Those of you using Roon or some other software with parametric eq, could you try the following EQ and let us know what you think?

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara

I just plugged them into Roon and I think it is actually very very good! Bass and midbass are more enjoyable, and it's brought in the highs to a more desirable level.
I’m running a tweaked oratory1990 eq through ROON on my Susvara too, but not sure I have the same initial values as linked. Will check tonight, and compare.

I’ll also share my personal EQ for you to try, very curious how another user will find it :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 29, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #4,779 of 25,674

I went like 40 years not using EQ, although I had before, but digital parametric EQ is is inaudible to me, and I use it on everything now. The Susvara does have a big mid suckout centered at 1800 Hz. Basically it starts at 950 Hz and goes to 3 kHz - but its bad from 1300 to 2750 (-3.5 db or worse). around 1700 to 2100 Hz it's down at least 10 db.

It sounds great w/o EQ, it's greater with EQ.

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #4,780 of 25,674
I’m running a tweaked oratory1990 eq through ROON on my Susvara too, but not sure I have the same initial values as linked. Will check tonight, and compare.

I’ll also share my personal EQ for you to try, very curious how another user will find it :)

Post your eq and I will give it a try!

I just tried the oratory1990 eq for the Focal Utopia. But the results were not favourable. Less bass, less mid bass, and lacklustre highs, recessed vocals. I prefer the Utopia without eq.

Otoh, Susvara + EQ sounds amazing, like Utopia on steroids, cleaned up FR curve and tightened everything!

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #4,781 of 25,674
Those of you using Roon or some other software with parametric eq, could you try the following EQ and let us know what you think?

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN Susvara

I just plugged them into Roon and I think it is actually very very good! Bass and midbass are more enjoyable, and it's brought in the highs to a more desirable level.
I quite like it with that eq profile using my adi-2 pro fs. It gives that midrange presence but maybe a little hot on the treble.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #4,782 of 25,674
I quite like it with that eq profile using my adi-2 pro fs. It gives that midrange presence but maybe a little hot on the treble.

Oh that's odd. My trebles become more listenable/tamed with the EQ. Maybe try dropping the dB a bit more for the higher frequency filters?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #4,783 of 25,674
I am planning to make my own diy cable with my friend whom has experienced and is a small diy cable maker. He have an idea to make the cable material from speaker cable Kimber Kable as he thinks the Susvara is most of the time used with high power amp or speaker amp so it should be good compatibility. What do you guys think? Would this material suit the Susvara.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #4,784 of 25,674
Even though Susvara is often run through a speaker amp, at the impedance of the Susvara, it does not run anywhere near as much current as speakers do. Current is what determines the wire size on the basis of acceptable voltage loss for the particular length of wire. At the rating of the Susvara, you will be running about 0.2 amps and any gauge wire would be adequate. Larger wire will be less comfortable with the headphones and will create some challenge in wiring the connectors at the headphones. It will also lead to more stress and strain on the headphone connectors and could potentially cause physical damage to the headphone at the connectors.

The bigger is better crowd may chime in now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back