HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #3,256 of 25,604
Zorilon,

Once you are able to see the blue foam of the earpads then that means that the black leather outer covering has pulled away from its original glued position, and the earpads should be replaced. The Susvara earpads are very poorly constructed and I am presently on my 4th pair of Susvara earpads. By contrast, I have never had to replace the earpads on my HiFiMan HE1000 headphones. HiFiMan needs to radically revise the design of the Susvara earpads in order to make them more durable!

Jeff.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3,257 of 25,604
I'm on my 3rd. Still angry about it. :/

Also, if that was the condition they came in when you bought them and the seller represented those headphones as being in "good working condition" -- and they're a cool person -- they ought to volunteer to chip in help get you replacement pads with just a little bit of prompting. #justsayin

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #3,258 of 25,604
Zorilon,

Once you are able to see the blue foam of the earpads then that means that the black leather outer covering has pulled away from its original glued position, and the earpads should be replaced. The Susvara earpads are very poorly constructed and I am presently on my 4th pair of Susvara earpads. By contrast, I have never had to replace the earpads on my HiFiMan HE1000 headphones. HiFiMan needs to radically revise the design of the Susvara earpads in order to make them more durable!

Jeff.
Maybe I didn’t explained well. The first two pictures are after I unglue myself the leather and cleaned the old glue and also aligned the foam to proper match the ear cup position. At first, only one pad had the leather a little loose inside after I cut the cloth that covers the drivers. You are right, they are poor made.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #3,259 of 25,604

Also, if that was the condition they came in when you bought them and the seller represented those headphones as being in "good working condition" -- and they're a cool person -- they ought to volunteer to chip in help get you replacement pads with just a little bit of prompting. #justsayin
Thanks for the advice! I'm sure he didn't know about it and will help me if I ask.

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #3,260 of 25,604
It is a shame that this manufacturer (Hifiman) has figure it all right from the sound perspective, and so wrong from the craftsmanship and exorbitant price for this build. Hope other manufacturer will figure out the sound and a more normal weight and ergonomics of their headphones.
Maybe they will!

This looks promising: HEDDphone

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #3,261 of 25,604
Hi to all, I am a two weeks happy owner of the Susvara (bought second-hand from a good head-fi member). What can I say, they have the perfect timber that gives me goosebumps every time I listen!

At first I was a little disappointed by the stereo imaging especially the right driver seemed not integrated. The HE1000se appeared to be better in this department and also bass and sub bass.
Also I was a little anointed by the cloth inside the pads that touched my ears. I decided to remove it and in that process I saw the leather on one of the pads running off do to old glut.
I decided to re-glue the pads using double sided tape.

In this process I finally figured out why the stereo imaging was of. The right pad had the blue memory foam unaligned with the structure of the cup. So the right pad did not sustained the driver at the correct angle and distance from the ear.
This I saw is crucial for headphones to image well (the same problem was with HE1000 V1 that was fixed with V2).
After I aligned the foam in the correct place I saw that the pads also have their place on the cup near the driver (see pictures above).

So not only the foam was not proper aligned but the pads were not in there correct place (they were moving a little).
After putting the ear cups in the correct place I am literally amazed how good the Susvara stereo image is. Also the bass is more tight and the vocals are very good represented in front.

It is a shame that a good design can be sabotage by some employee that makes the pads and doesn’t understand the impact of minor deviation for the overall performance of this expensive product.

So be aware and check the pads, maybe they’re imperfections have a bigger impact on the sound then other things implied here.
Hi there,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, if you could please email us at Customerservice@hifiman.com, then we can help you solve the problem.
Thank you!

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3,262 of 25,604

I haven't yet gone through my first and it's been several months of extensive daily usage since I got my pair. Maybe something got improved over time?

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,263 of 25,604
I haven't yet gone through my first and it's been several months of extensive daily usage since I got my pair. Maybe something got improved over time?

My previous pair ordered in Feb 2019 failed six months later in August 2019. So that was not so long ago. My current pair is just two months old. We'll see, I guess...

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #3,265 of 25,604
I own both the abyss tc and susvara...I am a lucky guy....recently I bought an adapter so I could try the abyss stock cable with the susvara and thus far I am very pleased with the results

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #3,266 of 25,604
The leather from one of my pads is sliding off and showing the blue foam inside. Does this mean I have to replace the entire pad? What the #$%^%$#... how can this happen on a $6k hp?? What gives, @TeamHiFiMAN?

I found some susvara earpads on eBay but they are all from China. Are there any from US? Which one would you recommend?

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,269 of 25,604
Hifiman contact me and it seems that I will receive a replacement set of ear pads. Hope this pair will be ok.
They really have a very good customer service!

Thanks Hifiman!
From what i read , the best customer service , at least way better than my experience with Abyss

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #3,270 of 25,604
Hi to all, I am a two weeks happy owner of the Susvara (bought second-hand from a good head-fi member). What can I say, they have the perfect timber that gives me goosebumps every time I listen!

At first I was a little disappointed by the stereo imaging especially the right driver seemed not integrated. The HE1000se appeared to be better in this department and also bass and sub bass.
Also I was a little anointed by the cloth inside the pads that touched my ears. I decided to remove it and in that process I saw the leather on one of the pads running off do to old glut.
I decided to re-glue the pads using double sided tape.

In this process I finally figured out why the stereo imaging was of. The right pad had the blue memory foam unaligned with the structure of the cup. So the right pad did not sustained the driver at the correct angle and distance from the ear.
This I saw is crucial for headphones to image well (the same problem was with HE1000 V1 that was fixed with V2).
After I aligned the foam in the correct place I saw that the pads also have their place on the cup near the driver (see pictures above).

So not only the foam was not proper aligned but the pads were not in there correct place (they were moving a little).
After putting the ear cups in the correct place I am literally amazed how good the Susvara stereo image is. Also the bass is more tight and the vocals are very good represented in front.

It is a shame that a good design can be sabotage by some employee that makes the pads and doesn’t understand the impact of minor deviation for the overall performance of this expensive product.

So be aware and check the pads, maybe they’re imperfections have a bigger impact on the sound then other things implied here.

You bought it second hand right ? Therefore , do not discounts the possibilities that the other owners did temper with it. I find it hard to believe that HifiMan can have such Quality control for flagship products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back