HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #301 of 25,604
I suggested to Nao that Sony could build the R10 again exactly the same and people would fall over themselves to buy them, but alas...

I re-jigged my set-up and got a bit better sound out of the Solaris (like the RKV II I owned, it seems to be sensitive to power supply quality) using the new Audio-gd R2R 7 as the source. It's far from the greatest example of recording fidelity, but 96 by Turin Brakes is purely enjoyable with the Susvara. The Utopias can end up being a bit too analytical, revealing too much about how these kinds of recordings were made.

That is interesting.

In my unpublished article on the R-10, I breify describe why Sony will never re-do/re-make the R-10. To my understanding is that the engineer behind of the R-10 was a professional musician. And after the R-10 he left the company to another department. And it can easily be said that the downfall of Sony headphones can be base on quantity over quality.

The other things were that it was impossible to match R-10 drivers. Just getting a left and right driver to match 99% was really tough for Sony and they lost lots of money in repeating this process to get the best drivers and wood.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #302 of 25,604
That is interesting.

In my unpublished article on the R-10, I breify describe why Sony will never re-do/re-make the R-10. To my understanding is that the engineer behind of the R-10 was a professional musician. And after the R-10 he left the company to another department. And it can easily be said that the downfall of Sony headphones can be base on quantity over quality.

The other things were that it was impossible to match R-10 drivers. Just getting a left and right driver to match 99% was really tough for Sony and they lost lots of money in repeating this process to get the best drivers and wood.

Nothing of good quality come easy :) , and not to mention that there are constantly Tsunami and earthquake disasters. It is almost a miracle how Sony and Japanese are doing so well

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #303 of 25,604
I suggested to Nao that Sony could build the R10 again exactly the same and people would fall over themselves to buy them, but alas...

I re-jigged my set-up and got a bit better sound out of the Solaris (like the RKV II I owned, it seems to be sensitive to power supply quality) using the new Audio-gd R2R 7 as the source. It's far from the greatest example of recording fidelity, but 96 by Turin Brakes is purely enjoyable with the Susvara. The Utopias can end up being a bit too analytical, revealing too much about how these kinds of recordings were made.

Do you ever return to reality... to the realm of mere mortals... and listen to normal headphones from dare I say a smartphone or would that be a lethal event for you to do so?

You are mortal! LOL. Just read your reply on another thread regarding listening to tunes in the car via iPhone... no longer worried about you. :wink: Cheers.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #304 of 25,604
Well, when it comes to high-end performances like these, we all need to know what the Headphones is paired with. We can't simply say people preferred A in comparison to B without knowing what it is connected to. I know Utopia out of GSX MKII is still only close to 009 and BHSE. Do I prefer Utopia over 009 ? Yeah, because Utopia is awesome out of my Walkman WM1Z, and Stax ? Forget it, it always need an amp and DAC. When I sit down though, 009 is the one I always grab for, and that doesn't mean I value Utopia any less. I love both as each of them is uniquely done and perform in different ways

Routine zealotry check-in.

Why even bother. Grab the Kingsound M-3 (BARF) and join bmichels.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #305 of 25,604
It could be a gear difference, but I've been getting a lot more low-level detail out of the Utopias in my system than the HiFiMan headphones. I don't think that the Utopia seems to have better imaging because of the narrower soundstage. If that were so, the imaging would be worse. I find that, say, the singer on a good stereo recording are dead center with the Utopia, but are spread out through the center with the Susvara. Likewise other instruments locations are sharp and clear with the Utopia, and more vague with other headphones in general.
Seems gear difference indeed. BTW they say SUSVARA a power-hungry monster like HE6, did you try speaker Amp with SUSVARA?
*sorry i mean "Have you tried to drive Suavara by a power amp via he adapter?"

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #309 of 25,604
Most of loud speakers amplifier Headphones out is just a lousy circuit with resistors. Why would someone want to buy a $6,000 to do just that ? That is beyond me.

He means running out of the speaker terminals into the HE-Adaptor.

With amps that are around 50wpc you can run directly from the speaker terminals into 4-pin XLR without resistors.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #310 of 25,604
You were right the first time - you run the headphones off the speaker outs. Hifiman sells an adapter that goes from the speaker terminals to a balanced 4 pin xlr to run your headphones. Pretty common for power hungry headphones. There is a thread dedicated to it.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #311 of 25,604
HiFiMan sent me a speaker adaptor to test with. I'm hoping to plan something locally with a friend whose friend has a big set-up. The Solaris can output up to 12W, even to headphones, so it should be sufficient, but if a full-sized power amp makes a significant difference, I definitely want to try it.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #312 of 25,604
HiFiMan sent me a speaker adaptor to test with. I'm hoping to plan something locally with a friend whose friend has a big set-up. The Solaris can output up to 12W, even to headphones, so it should be sufficient, but if a full-sized power amp makes a significant difference, I definitely want to try it.

If the Susvara is anything like the HE-6, it WILL respond to speaker tap connection direct (forget the HE junk adapter box). A full size (aka vintage in my case) power amp will make a significant difference in viscerality of the bass for sure.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #313 of 25,604
The power requirements are the same as HE-6 and I drive my HE-6 out of a First Watt J2 straight out of the speaker taps using a banana to XLR adapter cable. The HE adapter box reduces the SQ.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #314 of 25,604
I think the HE adapter was just to stop people blowing things up if they disconnected the headphones while the amp was on wasn't it? Hifiman said somewhere that the companion amp they pair with these headphones IS a speaker amp if I remember correctly.

HE6 was 50 ohms 83.5 db
Susvara is 60 ohms 83 db

Even harder to drive than HE6

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #315 of 25,604
I think the HE adapter was just to stop people blowing things up if they disconnected the headphones while the amp was on wasn't it? Hifiman said somewhere that the companion amp they pair with these headphones IS a speaker amp if I remember correctly.

HE6 was 50 ohms 83.5 db
Susvara is 60 ohms 83 db

Even harder to drive than HE6
Yes Seems much more power needed

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back