HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #24,901 of 25,571
i don't think it applies in this instance
Data is just Data?

----

All I am saying is. WAN is the "source" outside of your house/apartment somewhere where you have no control over. Copper or Fiber. It comes from a noisy source, generated in the units also, from the ISP.

----

Fixing this is crucial and should be the first steps in this hobby to get the potential of the D/A chain.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #24,903 of 25,571
Interesting. For some reason, I rarely hear about Wells Audio, esp in the last 4-5 years.

That’s why I mentioned it. This place does seem to create echo chambers around the accepted winners and losers and there is a lot of really good stuff that goes by totally overlooked. My whole system has been very carefully put together, but it all falls into that category. 😂

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #24,904 of 25,571
If I may — I saw the arguments on the last couple of pages and I think it's fair to say that anything that is directly related to Susvara (i.e. DAC/Amp pairings) and even cables—anything can significantly alter the sound is within topic, but maybe not items that are far up the chain like network cables/routers because they have nothing to do with Susvara?

Either way sometimes it's hard to determine whether a post (for example my question about TT2 + Susvara) goes in the TT2 thread or the Susvara thread, and I think we should all try to be civil and not forget what this is all about.

I mean, at least we're not talking about beer. Right? RIGHT?!? (JK) 😋

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #24,905 of 25,571
If I may — I saw the arguments on the last couple of pages and I think it's fair to say that anything that is directly related to Susvara (i.e. DAC/Amp pairings) and even cables—anything can significantly alter the sound is within topic, but maybe not items that are far up the chain like network cables/routers because they have nothing to do with Susvara?

Either way sometimes it's hard to determine whether a post (for example my question about TT2 + Susvara) goes in the TT2 thread or the Susvara thread, and I think we should all try to be civil and not forget what this is all about.

Try the Chord TT2 with a good SMPS/LPSU. Just the first thing you should do imo. When it comes to Susvara, do you dare to use the XLR outs, then you have a very capable All-in-one.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #24,906 of 25,571
Perhaps there’s a difference being a moderator and being a censor? The network post can be seen as advice to get Susvara to sound its best? It seems the follow-up posts show the objection is actually about a personal belief rather than anything off topic.

I haven’t read the moderation policy in quite some time, I’m afraid. Has it changed?

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #24,907 of 25,571
This guy seems to think so. He was blown away by the combination with Susvara and concluded it was the best that he has ever heard. The only thing he felt that might possibly compete was the AIC-10. I own both and can tell him that it can’t compete. I know that will be seen as controversial, but everything Susvara wise is just lessened using AIC by comparison. AIC is an extremely good match though with 1266 TC which is how I use it. Nothing is perfect - it is a case of finding the best synergistic matches between components and that includes the whole chain. It’s frustrating, but unfortunately just as with with speaker systems, there aren’t any short cuts to optimising a headphone rig.

It might be great, but not a big fan of that reviewer.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #24,908 of 25,571
Great point, dude! (since we're doing sarcasm)

BTW, I was drinking Torpedo IPA last night and my Susvara sounded better than it ever has! But I’m wondering if some other beer might make it sound even better. Can we please discuss Susvara beer pairings for the next hundred posts?

The funny thing is that alcohol and network "improvements" both work by altering your state of mind. I choose the former because it tastes better and I don't hate myself in the morning. YMMV.
seems sarcastic and unnecessary...I see no problem discussing the chain since we discuss amps and Dacs and cables etc

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #24,909 of 25,571
The Studio T is by far the dryest SE 2A3 amp that I’ve ever heard (I own one), it has twice the power output of the DNA amps (parallel output tubes), and lower output impedance for the same reason.
I haven’t spent enough time with a Stellaris to make definitive statements about resolution, and stage, but given the similarities in tubes, and topology, they are quite different, I would bet that you’d find people who prefer one over the other, and I think if you were to poll them, you’d probably get more who appreciate the presentation of the DNA. Having said that, I don’t think that’s indicative of better, the Studio T. Is faster and more dynamic and has better driver control than the DNA amps, but has little to no romance in the sound. I happen to like that, but it’s not for everyone.
It’s a pointless comparison though, there are less Studio T’s in existence than there are Stellaris at this point, and the odds of you ever seeing one for sale is small, I think I’ve seen 2 in the last 5 years and I bought one of those.
I genuinely appreciate the additional color & insight. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to find a Studio T and decide to go all-in to compare.

it will still be a TOTL HP 10 yrs from now
Agreed. When you reach the top of the mountain (i.e. Utopia, Susvara) there really is nowhere to go except around in circles. At least until technology figures out some way to literally re-create "3d" sound (Holodeck? lol)

Raal will probably take over Susvara at some point. Those ribbon drivers are no joke when utilized to their full potential
I think Raal has already done that. But much like e-stats, any tech that requires a separate/extra power source is a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche. But yeah, for those of us that go DEEP down the rabbit hole, Raal is a real contender already and likely to become more-so in the future. Personally, based on what I've heard so far, I would already go for Raal before I would go down the e-stat rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #24,910 of 25,571
Beer?!?!? Susvara owners drink fine wine and nothing less. :wink:

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #24,911 of 25,571
Try the Chord TT2 with a good SMPS/LPSU. Just the first thing you should do imo.
Do you have any good specific ones in mind? Chord’s documentation mentions you must not use any other power adapter/supply other than the one provided. 😬

When it comes to Susvara, do you dare to use the XLR outs, then you have a very capable All-in-one.
I got some female Dual XLR to female single XLR silver Lavricable interconnects — will definitely try. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Low gain vs. high gain, output settings, volume levels?

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #24,912 of 25,571
Do you have any good specific ones in mind? Chord’s documentation mentions you must not use any other power adapter/supply other than the one provided. 😬

I got some female Dual XLR to female single XLR silver Lavricable interconnects — will definitely try. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Low gain vs. high gain, output settings, volume levels?
Even the iFi Elite gave the Chord TT2 more authority, and cleaned up a lot in the stereo image. However I would suggest you look into Stack Audio
https://stackaudio.co.uk
https://www.stereonet.com/uk/news/stack-audio-volt-linear-psu-for-chord-dacs-roon-nucleus

Write him an email he probably can make you a good one for decent price.

He used to make PSU special for Chords.

I have never tried the TT2 from the XLR outs. Just be sure you are not in DAC mode :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #24,913 of 25,571
Perhaps there’s a difference being a moderator and being a censor? The network post can be seen as advice to get Susvara to sound its best? It seems the follow-up posts show the objection is actually about a personal belief rather than anything off topic.

I haven’t read the moderation policy in quite some time, I’m afraid. Has it changed?
It will maybe be my personal opinion. I listen to specific songs everyday and I know how they sound.

The amount of control and instrument placement the switches has given is unexplainable and since that I am still in the honeymoon experience, trying to get out to reality.

The rythm is to the unforgiving side, layering is even more easy to digest, the sweet analog sound is just what makes these switches my favorit. 150 dollars.

I assume the LHY SW10 is a freaking beast!

----

Getting back to my point. Cleaning the WAN side has done such a huge impact I listen to my system from scratch. It feels like I have simple bought a dac and amp and added that to the network. Thats how much influence it has to my chain!

I am digging deeper into tweak on the Dirty side/WAN.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #24,914 of 25,571
It will maybe be my personal opinion. I listen to specific songs everyday and I know how they sound.

The amount of control and instrument placement the switches has given is unexplainable and since that I am still in the honeymoon experience, trying to get out to reality.

The rythm is to the unforgiving side, layering is even more easy to digest, the sweet analog sound is just what makes these switches my favorit. 150 dollars.

----

Getting back to my point. Cleaning the WAN side has done such a huge impact I listen to my system from scratch. It feels like I have simple bought a dac and amp and added that to the network. Thats how much influence it has to my chain!

Oh, I’m with you, 100%. Lots of people are happy to criticise without ever having tried for themselves.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #24,915 of 25,571

----

I went with the cheap, easy route, using my DAP with good clocks on SPDIF as Roon Endpoint via WiFi. Much more transparent while being more organic sounding than PC on USB :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back