HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #23,506 of 26,706
What the materials a thing is made out of make a difference. Certain amps are known for being good. Some folks will pick a chain based around a particular purpose. People have made a whole chain over what has synergy with the Susvara for example.

Yep. My chain is pretty much maximizing Susvara without breaking the bank. I have my budget bang for buck chain that easily matches and beats the HE-1 on some areas without having to spend 5 figures on the whole system, including the Susvara and Inferno cable. This system turns the Susvara from being laid back into having the immediacy, explosiveness and grunt reminiscent of the Aperio with the tonality of the HE-1

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #23,507 of 26,706
Yep. My chain is pretty much maximizing Susvara without breaking the bank. I have my budget bang for buck chain that easily matches and beats the HE-1 on some areas without having to spend 5 figures on the whole system, including the Susvara and Inferno cable
What is your set up if you do not mind sharing? I know Susvara chains can get expensive. Heard Rakoon (not sure of spelling) has good pairing.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #23,508 of 26,706
I take it less chance of manufacturing error if everything comes one place?
It’s because each cable is pulling in the same direction in terms of what the manufacturer is trying to achieve. So if you’ve got one cable known for super fast transients and an extended top end, and another that’s got a really warm presentation with lots of midbass, you end up getting the best of neither.

I like a cable set that is really fast, wide bandwidth and very quiet. This has led me to Nordost Heimdall 2. It has the combination of virtues I admire. Importantly, the system seems super coherent in every way, so I’m not getting emphasis anywhere.
Prior to this I had a full loom of Cardas Clear and it was equally as coherent, but it was a touch warm for me, with a fat midbass. Heaps of fun, but not what I was, ultimately, looking for. Both looms are brilliant, but sound very different.

During the assembly of both of these looms I had to go slowly because I couldn’t afford a loom all at once. I waited and looked and found much of them secondhand. While building I could hear what the Cardas and Nordost cables were bringing, but it wasn’t until each loom was complete that I thought, “ah, I get it”. No mix’n’match loom has ever sounded as coherent as either of the two full looms.

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #23,509 of 26,706
Yep. My chain is pretty much maximizing Susvara without breaking the bank. I have my budget bang for buck chain that easily matches and beats the HE-1 on some areas without having to spend 5 figures on the whole system, including the Susvara and Inferno cable. This system turns the Susvara from being laid back into having the immediacy, explosiveness and grunt reminiscent of the Aperio with the tonality of the HE-1

Too mid-fi to reveal it haha. I would need more opinions from others after hearing my chain. So far only one head-fier has heard my budget system and had teary eyes after 20 minutes of listening. Need at least 100 people to get a less biased perspective. I can tell you I’m using just Schiit Yggrasil More is Better as my DAC which is the most resolving Yggdrasil version yet (necessary to have utmost plankton on a budget for Susvara)

Then again, stock HE-1 is pretty easy to be beaten since you only need a mid-fi chain to surpass it

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #23,510 of 26,706
Any opinion on either one with a wa33/may setup?
I have heard DHC Chimera with Susvara. It is very good. Noticeably better details and bass than a thick copper Norne. Chimera is very expensive tho. I'm chatting with Trevor about a cable that'd be at least Chimera level but way less costly.

But if I were to offer suggestions on your chain, because I just happen to have exactly the same setup, is to throw a power amp in there. It will transform your susvara experience that's magnitudes more than a cable.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #23,511 of 26,706
Thanks for help 👍
One more amp thats in the equation.
Zähl hm
How does it compare to enleum and riviera?
23r is not in the same league as AIC-10. 23r is warm and veiled, and if you dig that sound, it may be good for you. But if you are looking for fullness, energy, bass, details, AIC-10 is a LOT better. Zahl hm is between AIC-10 and 23r, closer on the AIC-10 end. There are also wa33, bliss, envy, masskobo 465, nautilus, red october, which I think all fall between 23r and AIC-10.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #23,512 of 26,706
I made some recent changes to my system, which has blown my mind what the susvara can be.

WA33 Standard -> WA33 Elite JPS
KR 274B Tube -> WE 274B Tube

Would this be close to the HE1?
I have heard HE1 and my at home chain is May + WA33 as pre or Primaluna evo 400 as pre into AHB2s for Susvara.

IMO, HE1 is not as exciting or wide or detailed as Susvara. When you are used to Susvara on a quality chain, HE1 actually falls behind in QUITE a few categories. However, HE1 does have its attractions - it's a very "complete sound" in that everything from top to bottom is so coherent and just feels correct. Note, "correct", not "awesome"/"great"/"wonderful". HE1 is room temperature water. No surprises, good or bad. For some, it's a pleasant sound. For some, it's boring. For most susvara users who actually tinkered with the chain, the chance is HE1 will probably sound boring to you. It'll still be pleasant but don't expect any of its technicalities to wow you. Imagine HD600 tuning and soundstage, with Utopia-like details and bass. This is my best effort to describe HE1.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #23,513 of 26,706
Another thought after seeing the recent pages of amp, cable, and HE discussions -

If you like Susvara's sound and want a slightly different/better variant, consider Mod House Tungsten. That thing is insane. It's harder to drive than Susvara, but out of all the TOTL headphones I tried (pretty much everything over $3k), Tungsten actually sounds quite similar to Susvara in tuning, details and soundstage. But it seems to do some of those even a little better. I only heard it at canjam but my jaw is on the floor whilst everything else is meh. I have yet got my hands on a pair.

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #23,514 of 26,706
Random but important.

If this goes for all Hifimans you need to be carefull. They are not really open as the planar panel closes the headphone.

Applying pressure to the earcup will flex the panel.

I destroyed my HE400SE/32Ohm not by applying the pressure with hands, but it could not handle the punch from the music at very high volumen(no eq). When I opened them to my surprise the planar panel sealed/closed the cup.

DON’T PRESS THE EARCUP INTO THE HEAD!
-just don’t, warning. I am so happy I learned from HE400SE and never did this on Susvara

I have luckily, always had susvara very low hanging, and not closing/sealing the pads. Airgap

EDIT: Correction I was told this problem does not exist from ananda and above. I will still warn against doing it!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #23,515 of 26,706
Eric is pretty generous and he’ll probably let you audition both Purgatorio and Inferno and return the one that fits your system less. That said, a caveat of his cables is that they’re more synergy dependent with amps than hybrids and they take forever to burn-in/settle down
Yes he is a prince of a guy. I got to know him pretty well when I ordered the Socrates. The Pentaconn termination was held up in Shanghai during the lockdown there in the pandemic. He kept me informed frequently every step of the way, ie super responsive and customer centered approach. Strongly recommended. The regular Eletech thread-posters are very friendly and welcoming. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ele...mpressions-discussions-thread.919228/page-326

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #23,516 of 26,706
Another thought after seeing the recent pages of amp, cable, and HE discussions -

If you like Susvara's sound and want a slightly different/better variant, consider Mod House Tungsten. That thing is insane. It's harder to drive than Susvara, but out of all the TOTL headphones I tried (pretty much everything over $3k), Tungsten actually sounds quite similar to Susvara in tuning, details and soundstage. But it seems to do some of those even a little better. I only heard it at canjam but my jaw is on the floor whilst everything else is meh. I have yet got my hands on a pair.
the tungsten appears to be amazing value for a high-end headphone. would lurv to hear it.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #23,517 of 26,706
I wouldn't call Tungsten a better headphone but it's definitely tuned similarly to Susvara and has more slam while its low end is fuller sounding too. It's a less ethereal sounding and warmer headphone. Some say it reminds them of the HE6 and LCD-4 but I haven't heard either.
Depending on what music you listen to and how good your amplification is it might make sense to keep both or pick one.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #23,519 of 26,706
I listened to the Susvara and the single-sided Tungsten at CAF and I slightly preferred the Susvara. The Sus had an airier and more open sound, while the Tungsten sounded like a super-charged Audeze LCD-2C (I haven't heard the LCD-4, so the 2C is my closest comparison point); great headphone, but not quite my taste for a "summit-tier" experience.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #23,520 of 26,706
I have heard HE1 and my at home chain is May + WA33 as pre or Primaluna evo 400 as pre into AHB2s for Susvara.

IMO, HE1 is not as exciting or wide or detailed as Susvara. When you are used to Susvara on a quality chain, HE1 actually falls behind in QUITE a few categories. However, HE1 does have its attractions - it's a very "complete sound" in that everything from top to bottom is so coherent and just feels correct. Note, "correct", not "awesome"/"great"/"wonderful". HE1 is room temperature water. No surprises, good or bad. For some, it's a pleasant sound. For some, it's boring. For most susvara users who actually tinkered with the chain, the chance is HE1 will probably sound boring to you. It'll still be pleasant but don't expect any of its technicalities to wow you. Imagine HD600 tuning and soundstage, with Utopia-like details and bass. This is my best effort to describe HE1.

Yes. HE-1 is just Susvara on a mid-fi chain. Aperio is more up-front but Susvara on a curated mid-fi chain would easily match it in technicalities (upfront presentation, explosive and grunt in dynamics), and of course Susvara is better on tonal aspects by default tuning. Susvara on a TOTL chain is the current king of headphone experience IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back