HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #18,766 of 25,602
How do the LinLai change the sound from the stock tubes? I’m looking at upgrading the 6SN7s but I don’t have the budget for some of the more expensive recommendations over on the HA-300bmk2 thread.
I really didnt want to go down the NOS route (except maybe Melz but they're impossible to find) and these seemed to have the best reviews from new production units. They're definitely a large step above the stock Cayin 6SN7s and bring the bass, treble and definition in line with what the Elrogs provide on the 300B side. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when WE will start manufacturing their new 6SN7s, those might be even better...

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #18,768 of 25,602
Just ordered a DHC Complement C :)
I’d auggest you go with the C15 S-mod instead. I had the Complement C before and it didn’t have good synergy with Susvara. On the other hand, the C15 S-mod sounds amazing with Susvara and my other headphones.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #18,770 of 25,602
I really didnt want to go down the NOS route (except maybe Melz but they're impossible to find) and these seemed to have the best reviews from new production units. They're definitely a large step above the stock Cayin 6SN7s and bring the bass, treble and definition in line with what the Elrogs provide on the 300B side. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when WE will start manufacturing their new 6SN7s, those might be even better...
Ah, they sound good, I think I’ll order a pair.

I bought a pair of the PSVane CV181 Tii as my first upgrade from the stock tubes, and they’re definitely a step up. At times I feel like they might be too SS sounding, though, so I’ve been looking for tubes that add just a little more tube flavour without bloom and big roll offs etc

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #18,771 of 25,602
6 months with Susvara, I'm quite certain this headphone is for life. Amazing timbre and mids because I listen to a lot of vocals and acoustics.

Now regarding the stock cable, that is an interesting question because I use the stock cable once and it has gone in the box since while I use the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC (silver/copper). Since you ask, I took out the stock cable again and it's also silver/copper blend. This is a perfect example of how cables can make Susvara sound different. Subtle but distinguisable. The stock cable is tighter, more focussed and the bass has a tighter punch. Forza is more blossom and a fuller tone. I had to smile to myself because I like the stock cable more so it might stay out of the box.
The Susvara is definitely my headphone for life. I was very close to pulling the trigger for the ZMF Caldera that's releasing tomorrow but I didn't because I just know in my heart of hearts it won't beat the Susvara. I have 0 complaints about it. I will likely get the Caldera Closed at some point whenever that's released as an awesome pairing for the Susvara, but the open version I already know won't replace it. It's completely squashed any FOMO I have for new releases, unless they make a Susvara 2 at some point of course lol but...even then....

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #18,772 of 25,602
Has anyone noticed R2R is a better pair than DeltaSigma for Susvara?

Leave the amps alone for ones😂😅

R2R vs DS for Susvara

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #18,773 of 25,602
Would Susvara owners say that most do not use the stock cable?
For myself, the stock cable ergonomics and aesthetics are very poor, but as far as sound quality, it is pretty decent. However, even if a cable sounds good, if it's uncomfortable and hard to manage then...
I'm currently using a custom cable from Norne Audio, prior to that I was using a Noir Hybrid from Forza Audio Works. Both cables offer superior SQ and ergonomics IMO.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #18,775 of 25,602

NOS definitely but their prices are getting out of hand now.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275104753220?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165712220245?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #18,776 of 25,602
will it be a dac/amp or just a dac

when can we expect the release date

There's some confusion here I believe. In my post I didn't mention one of our products, just confirmed the other product's topology :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 21, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #18,777 of 25,602
The Susvara is definitely my headphone for life. I was very close to pulling the trigger for the ZMF Caldera that's releasing tomorrow but I didn't because I just know in my heart of hearts it won't beat the Susvara. I have 0 complaints about it. I will likely get the Caldera Closed at some point whenever that's released as an awesome pairing for the Susvara, but the open version I already know won't replace it. It's completely squashed any FOMO I have for new releases, unless they make a Susvara 2 at some point of course lol but...even then....

As a Susvara owner and lover, I can't recommend the Caldera enough. It is such a wonderful headphone and, importantly, very different than the Susvara. They provide such a different listening experience. If budget allows, they would complement each other very well within the same collection.

I compared the Susvara and Caldera in my Caldera first impressions write-up: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/authors/goldwerger.546676/reviews

(detailed comparisons throughout, but you can skip to the bottom "Comparison" section for the punchline)

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #18,778 of 25,602
Huh. OK, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
My own experience with the complement c and my susvaras has me enjoying the two combo when used in a more neutral sounding setup.

when changing my setup (eg by dac or interconnects) to a “warmer” sound the cable can still be enjoyable but it’s warmish tilt is most welcomed and beneficial in that more neutral setup (ie niimbus amp and holo may dac)

in the warmer tilted setup, my heimdall 2 (silver plated copper) is my somewhat more preferred option

of course ymmv

Nov 21, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #18,779 of 25,602
So my Cardas Clear cable is going bad (I think I accidentally bent the 2.5mm connector slightly over time. I wish the Sus used different connectors...ugh). I moved to the JPS stock 1266 cable. There's actually more bass quantity now in comparison, which surprised me. I didn't like the SC pairing with the Sus (things were a bit too smooth), but the stock JPS cable appears to be a better fit. I kinda wanna try a Lazuli Nirvana, but that price...
I too have used the 1266 stock cable to good effect with my susvara...I used to be a cable skeptic but now I realize how different cables are and how some can really change the sound signature of a HP...first time I ever noticed this was a danacable reference cable with my utopias some years back...I actually like the danacable reference with the susvara but I think it may be too much of a good thing...the lavricable is pretty good for the price and the cardas clear aint bad either

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #18,780 of 25,602
Clash of the Titans – my Take on Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC vs. HIFIMAN Susvara

20210110_192708-01-01.jpeg

Background, bias and setup

I listen mainly to acoustic music, classical (all sub-genres), jazz, singer-songwriter being my prevalent. However, I am musically very curious and – especially since I have become a streaming addict – an increasingly big chunk of my listening time is taken by a very eclectic genres exploration.

As I keep attending live concerts, I tend to value all the reproduced aural cues which remind me the physical and emotional experience of the live event, including of course timbre credibility, but also – perhaps even more so - visceral impact, ambience / venue rendering.

Being a pretty analytical type of listener, I tend to focus on detail, resolution and transparency as well.

I decided to purchase the Susvara after listening to them multiple times on various setups, always getting the impression that they are the only headphones that can compete with the TC as a multi-genre all-rounder, as opposed to other headphones (like the SR1a which I also own) having obvious flaws which make them less versatile.

I owned various editions of the AB-1266 since 2017, and I have basically built and optimized my audio setup around them and the Chord DAVE.

The main components of my rig are listed in my signature, the rest being described in my profile. Among the ancillaries, a notable mention goes to the Superconductor cable, which has a rather audible influence on the TC timbre.

The Susvara, after rolling several cables, are connected to the speaker taps of my Riviera AIC-10 (close to 20W of which 10W in class A) via solid core copper custom cables, by far the most dynamic, tight and transparent solution I tested.

I tried the Susvara also on several other speaker amplifiers as reported later on, the comparative impressions penned out hereafter standing valid throughout.

In the following I am omitting the continuous usage of IMO, YMVV etc., being implied that I am simply describing my own, very subjective feelings, and of course I am very positive about people hearing all this in a whole different way.

General sound signature comparison

By switching between the Susvara and the TC the most apparent tonal shift is in the midrange region, where the smoother, darker, slightly more forward nature of the Susvara stands out immediately.

The other apparent change is the loss of transparency, soundstage size and instrument separation, where the Susvara staging is more atmospheric and cohesive compared to the crystalline and sharply defined scene depicted by the TC.

When combined, these two presentation changes prepare you for a more intimate experience of the music, closer to the musicians both in a physical and emotional fashion, with the Susvara.

Tonal balance on the Susvara is very evenly deployed and seemingly accurate, whereas the TC has some emphasis on the bass region (with its trademark subwoofer-like bass) and its upper-midrange / lower treble is slightly on the brighter / etched side.

Musical events are portrayed in a more relaxed, less visceral fashion by the Susvara, although they are capable of slam as hard as the Abyss when called for.

On longer listening sessions, Susvara brings you more towards a laid-back abandonment to music, while the TC are more like an attention-grabbing emotional rollercoaster.

On the other hand, its fuller, less peaky midrange, virtual absence of distortion and dynamics range limitations bring me to listen to the Susvara at comparatively louder listening levels for best enjoyment.

Sound Presentation Breakdown

Bass

The TC is still the king of bass presentation to my tastes, particularly when the pad fit is sorted out spot-on.

While the Susvara is able to go as low as the Abyss and provide as much as slam, the sheer physical feeling of the skull rattling air waves that the TC can convey, its heft, oomph, deliver an unmatched experience, especially when combined with impeccable resolution and articulation.

The Susvara bass is however very well blended to the rest of the spectrum (a recurring theme within the amazing tonal equilibrium of this headphone), and very satisfactory in isolation, with plenty of punch and weight.

As already anticipated, these comparative impressions have been consistent throughout my listening, regardless of the type and power rating of the amplifier used (included a Krell KSA100 at my friend’s place), see also the section about amp matching in the following.

random-acces.pngorgan.png

Midrange

Midrange presentation is indeed the ‘center of gravity’ of acoustic music listening. Here, I feel the Susvara is a step or two above the AB-1266 TC, even when accounting to the beneficial effect of the Superconductor cable and a magical Mullard NOS tube I am using with the AIC-10.

Stringed instruments, both fretted (violin, cello etc.) and plucked (acoustic guitar, harpsichord) are reproduced with more body, richness and weight by the Susvara, making the TC sound slightly thin, edgy and recessed in direct comparison.

Vocals are significantly more incarnated and forward in the scene, thus making a more visceral emotional connection with the music. Male vocals throatiness / chestiness renditions are sublime with the Susvara.

Piano is another instrument where the absence of any hint of glassiness, hardness and ringing, and the right amount of harmonics saturation and decay of the Susvara bring me closer to the actual live listening (well, assuming I were allowed to jump on stage with the pianist, but this is an aberration more related to the typical closely miked recordings we are fed with).

bach-suites.pngbach-blechacz.png

Treble

Abyss TC treble is very extended, and so is the Susvara’s. TC tends to be a touch brighter and more airy sounding, while the Susvara is slightly rolled off in comparison.

Brass instruments, like horns and trumpets, and drums snare, or triangle have a richer sound with the Susvara and more bite, together with a hint of glare, with the Abyss.

I would say the Susvara win the comparison to how these instrument sound in the real world.

Overall, the treble differentiation contributes to the more relaxed (Susvara) vs. more exciting (TC) character, which can be chosen upon based mainly on personal preference and the mood of the moment.

Speed / Transient / Macro-Dynamics / Visceral Impact

Both TC and Susvara are very fast headphones, surpassed only by the RAAL SR1a and few electrostats.

Attack of the notes is very similar, even when called for explosive sound burst (think tympany or drums solo) provided the amplifier is up to the task. Decay is slightly more damped with the Susvara, which can add some nice bloom in some cases.

Both headphones deliver plenty of slam and visceral impact, being the differentiator only the subsonic bass – as mentioned before – where the physical airwave impact and the accompanying rumble conveyed by the TC adds up to the dramatic effect.

copland.pngmravinsky.png

Transparency, Micro-Dynamics, Resolution and Detail Retrieval

TC and Susvara are both very detailed headphones, able to resolve fine nuances throughout the sound spectrum. The TC presents the details in a more etched fashion making them more obvious, while the Susvara handle the same in a more understated manner.

TC transparency is superior, with sounds coming out from a blacker background further helping the retrieval of minute information, and the feeling of air in between the instruments.

Soundstage and Imaging

Soundstage and imaging, are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of TC technical abilities together with their renowned bass.

The TC soundstage (helped by the DAVE / M-Scaler and AIC-10, which all excel at holographically capture and render spatial information) is wider and deeper than the Susvara’s although by a slight margin, while retaining a credible, cohesive organization.

What stands out the most is the imaging, where the TC, supported by their enhanced transparency, allow the various subjects on the scene to be well separated, layered, solidly identified in a 3D space, strengthens the illusory effect of the simulated live experience.

Listening to a solo violin recording makes me believe more that I am listening to a true violin with the Susvara, but the sense of having a violinist playing for me in my room is definitely stronger with the Abyss if that makes any sense.

Ambiental cues from large orchestra theaters, live stadium concerts, well-characterized venues like churches are made more credible and theatrical with the TC.

cowboy.pngmisa-criolla.png

Genre Matching

As simplistic as it may be, in my various A/B’s between the two, I saw a pattern forming about what genres I was going to like more with which. In some cases, my preference was clearer, while in other situations it was more a balancing act between the strengths and relative weaknesses described above.

I would give large scale classical, electronica, rap easily to the TC, and vocals, solo acoustic instruments including piano, and pop / rock to the Susvara (the latter even more so with less-than-perfect recordings, where the Susvara is more forgiving than the TC).

As for opera, jazz, and small acoustical ensembles a timbre-focused listener would most likely choose the Susvara, while a more analytical / spatially focused listener will probably grab the TC (I fall in the latter category), especially when in critical-listening mode.

Amplifiers synergy

When trying both the Susvara and the TC with several amplifiers, I found that they like similar gear, where perhaps the TC is better served by slightly warmer / richer amplifiers and the Susvara by more neutral ones.

Both headphones have very sophisticated tastes and scale immensely as you go up the staircase of upper echelon amplifiers.

The best amp I have tried with the Susvara is the Viva Solista, also a fantastic match with the TC. My Riviera AIC-10 came close second, followed by an Air Tight ATM-300R. In the next league fell the Pass Labs XA25 (helped by an Audio Research REF6 preamp in my case) and the 100W/8ohm NAGRA Classic Int. Simaudio Moon 600i is another notable mention, a tier further below to my ears.

atm300.jpg

In my personal experience (of course influenced by my tastes, listening focus area and volume levels etc.), mostly related to speaker amps, I have not found any beneficial effect from more rated power than, say, 2-2.5W, superior amp quality and signature synergy mattered much more instead.

With my AIC-10 I found that the Mullard CV491 I am normally using with the TC is bested by a more dynamic and transparent Fivre (both NOS) with the Susvara.

Wrapping out all this

Choosing between Susvara and the TC is a bit like comparing say an S-class Mercedes and a M5 BMW. The former being more supple, reassuring and voluptuous, and the latter more provocative, challenging and exhausting (but in a good way).

With the Susvara I tend to lose myself into the music, relax and forget about them. With the TC my heartbeat accelerates, as I prepare to a journey full of surprises and coup-de-théâtre.

I would venture to say that as the Susvara are exceptional headphones, the AB-1266, while being less honed out tonally, are able to transcend headphones listening experience in a way.

They complement themselves for sure, and I feel very fortunate to have both at my disposal :beyersmile:.

20210117_124339-01 (002).jpeg
I have read this review before, read this about 3 times actually on different occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back