HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #18,751 of 25,484
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #18,752 of 25,484
anybody with experience driving the Susvara with a Linear Tube Audio Z40+? preferably through the headphone output but also speaker output..
Been listening lately to the Sus with the speakers taps through a DHC Prion4 cable. Works great, sounds awesome.
The headphone output isn't enough. It's good but not the full potential of what the Susvara can do (tbh it always sounds good but it scales to infinity).

The speakers taps connection is good enough that I'm not currently looking at any dedicated amp for the Sus until my next end game upgrade. That'll probably be next year (Trafomatic Primavera, Riviera AIC-10 or Woo Audio WA33 Elite are on my shortlist). The Susvara was probably better with my WA33 Standard but for the rest of my headphones the LTA is amazing so I was happy I could drive all four with one amp and sold the Woo.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #18,753 of 25,484
Well after so many years of hating on the Susvara, for their build, for my bias to the TC, I finally got a pair for my close friend, who will let me borrow his often. =)

Lately I been liking this headphone for it's amazing timbre and mids.

Would Susvara owners say that most do not use the stock cable?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #18,754 of 25,484
Stock gives a little more crisp top end, than my Heimdall 2. That smoothens it out and sound gets more musical

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #18,755 of 25,484
Lately I been liking this headphone for it's amazing timbre and mids.

Would Susvara owners say that most do not use the stock cable?

6 months with Susvara, I'm quite certain this headphone is for life. Amazing timbre and mids because I listen to a lot of vocals and acoustics.

Now regarding the stock cable, that is an interesting question because I use the stock cable once and it has gone in the box since while I use the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC (silver/copper). Since you ask, I took out the stock cable again and it's also silver/copper blend. This is a perfect example of how cables can make Susvara sound different. Subtle but distinguisable. The stock cable is tighter, more focussed and the bass has a tighter punch. Forza is more blossom and a fuller tone. I had to smile to myself because I like the stock cable more so it might stay out of the box.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #18,756 of 25,484
So my Cardas Clear cable is going bad (I think I accidentally bent the 2.5mm connector slightly over time. I wish the Sus used different connectors...ugh). I moved to the JPS stock 1266 cable. There's actually more bass quantity now in comparison, which surprised me. I didn't like the SC pairing with the Sus (things were a bit too smooth), but the stock JPS cable appears to be a better fit. I kinda wanna try a Lazuli Nirvana, but that price...

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #18,757 of 25,484
Been listening lately to the Sus with the speakers taps through a DHC Prion4 cable. Works great, sounds awesome.
The headphone output isn't enough. It's good but not the full potential of what the Susvara can do (tbh it always sounds good but it scales to infinity).

The speakers taps connection is good enough that I'm not currently looking at any dedicated amp for the Sus until my next end game upgrade. That'll probably be next year (Trafomatic Primavera, Riviera AIC-10 or Woo Audio WA33 Elite are on my shortlist). The Susvara was probably better with my WA33 Standard but for the rest of my headphones the LTA is amazing so I was happy I could drive all four with one amp and sold the Woo.
I would also very seriously consider adding the Hifiman EF1000 to your short list if your looking for a TOTL 'end game' amp for the Susvara !

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #18,758 of 25,484
6 months with Susvara, I'm quite certain this headphone is for life. Amazing timbre and mids because I listen to a lot of vocals and acoustics.

Now regarding the stock cable, that is an interesting question because I use the stock cable once and it has gone in the box since while I use the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC (silver/copper). Since you ask, I took out the stock cable again and it's also silver/copper blend. This is a perfect example of how cables can make Susvara sound different. Subtle but distinguisable. The stock cable is tighter, more focussed and the bass has a tighter punch. Forza is more blossom and a fuller tone. I had to smile to myself because I like the stock cable more so it might stay out of the box.
I have used the stock cable from day one of buying my Susvara. Sounds fine to me. Used it with the loaned Pathos Inpol Ear, my Chord Choral speaker amp set-up and the Hifiman EF1000.
Have also tried some 'one off' custom TOTL build (super thick and super heavy) from a well know UK headphone cable supplier and commercial copper variants, and I preferred the stock cable. Also like how light it is.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #18,759 of 25,484
So my Cardas Clear cable is going bad (I think I accidentally bent the 2.5mm connector slightly over time. I wish the Sus used different connectors...ugh). I moved to the JPS stock 1266 cable. There's actually more bass quantity now in comparison, which surprised me. I didn't like the SC pairing with the Sus (things were a bit too smooth), but the stock JPS cable appears to be a better fit. I kinda wanna try a Lazuli Nirvana, but that price...
I'm sure you can get the Cardas connector or wire repaired.

I'm waiting on trying a different amp before I give an ultimate verdict, but I have the Lazuli Nirvana now and is probably the most resolving cable for Susvara, but not necessarily the best at everything. The Prion 4 is faster, more dynamic on vocals, and wider, and Cardas Clear Beyond has the best and most relaxed tonality. So far, I think these two cables actually have a more linear frequency response than the Nirvana, and are both less closed in. I'd enjoy the Cardas the most if it wasn't for the bass which is lacking compared to the other two.

What the Lazuli Nirvana does is it has tons of weight and density, really deep and strong bass, high resolution, low noise, and a little treble peak. The most impressive aspect is how much power drums, bass, and macrodynamics have, bringing out more dramatic contrasts in music. But it is not a neutral nor particularly fluid sounding cable.

Oddly, I changed an aftermarket fuse in my amp, and the cable characteristics changed substantially, so I think it is very interactive with your amp and everything else. (Hence holding off on final judgements) At the moment it is bringing a little too much low midrange weight.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #18,760 of 25,484
I have used the stock cable from day one of buying my Susvara. Sounds fine to me. Used it with the loaned Pathos Inpol Ear, my Chord Choral speaker amp set-up and the Hifiman EF1000.
Have also tried some 'one off' custom TOTL build (super thick and super heavy) from a well know UK headphone cable supplier and commercial copper variants, and I preferred the stock cable. Also like how light it is.

Except it curls like an octopus. I feel like ironing it. The rubber that clothed the wires reminds me of the drips you get when you're in ICU. Other than that, it's good.

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #18,761 of 25,484
I kind of like the ergonomics of the stock HiFiMan cables. Very easy physically. Aesthetics doesn't bother me. But that said, in my limited experience I tend to prefer all copper. Hmm, which way to go...Are there companies that make the smaller terminations for the original Susvara?

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #18,762 of 25,484
I kind of like the ergonomics of the stock HiFiMan cables. Very easy physically. Aesthetics doesn't bother me. But that said, in my limited experience I tend to prefer all copper. Hmm, which way to go...Are there companies that make the smaller terminations for the original Susvara?
You should have minimal issues finding a bespoke cable company that can assist you with 2.5 mm connectors

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #18,763 of 25,484
Anyone tried cayin ha300mkII with susvara? What dac Would go well with ha300 mkII? Never tried tubes and it Will be a blind buy.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #18,764 of 25,484
Anyone tried cayin ha300mkII with susvara? What dac Would go well with ha300 mkII? Never tried tubes and it Will be a blind buy.
I have this exact combo, paired with a Holo May DAC. Upgraded the tubes in the Cayin to Elrog 300B and Linlai Elite 6SN7 and the result is an awesome chain.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #18,765 of 25,484
I have this exact combo, paired with a Holo May DAC. Upgraded the tubes in the Cayin to Elrog 300B and Linlai Elite 6SN7 and the result is an awesome chain.
How do the LinLai change the sound from the stock tubes? I’m looking at upgrading the 6SN7s but I don’t have the budget for some of the more expensive recommendations over on the HA-300bmk2 thread.

As for the sound with the Sus, it’s a wider soundstage than the ifI ican Pro, which is my SS amp, ever so slightly softer round the edges, and plays brilliantly with acoustic / vocals / instrumental music. It doesn’t do bad at other genres either, but the iFI is more exacting and suits busier / bass heavy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back