HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 13, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #16,651 of 25,604
I got more out of those ifi ac thingy than an expensive conditioner. So I guess ifi worked for me. Power conditioning
is very much ymmv

Thanks, that's good to know that it works for you. As for power conditioners, many reviewers agree that these devices limit dynamics. To them power strips don't, or at least not as much, but come without any protective means.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 13, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #16,652 of 25,604
[...] regenerators [...]

On the subject of power regenerators, I thought the PS Audio P12, which I had in my system for about two years, was pretty good, but also a mixed bag. I've posted about this in the past, but let me recapitulate...

Its effects on sound quality were both good and bad. This is the worst kind of outcome, where you have to weigh the pros against cons, leading to much hand-wringing.

It resulted in a more detailed, cleaner sound, a blacker background, stuff like that, which I really liked, and valued a lot. But also leeched out the bass just a bit, as well as the dynamics in general just a bit. Enough to be noticeable.

These qualities (both the good and bad) were more apparent using some devices more than others. I felt like it was more negative than positive when used with the Benchmark HPA4 as well as the Bakoon AMP-13R, making both brighter and less dynamic. With the Bakoon in particular, the lessening of dynamics and bass was a problem with the Susvara, so I always left that amp connected to the mains. I did think the P12 was quite positive with the DAVE DAC I had at the time, with no perceivable negatives. That was the main reason why I kept it so long, but at a certain point, it was the only device I was using it for, which seemed a bit much. Though I also thought it was an easy net positive with my Pass Labs speaker amp as well.

Last thing worth mentioning on sound is that even with all components connected through the P12, the sound quality remained dramatically better late at night compared to the middle of the evening, so that observation alone tells me it was not doing close to enough to what would be ideal. Totally understandable, but still...

Lessee, what else... It consumes about 20% more power than what would otherwise be required (if I remember the number correctly, but it's somewhere along those lines), so that's something to keep in mind. Also, it has a fan, but I never noticed it get hardly even warm and never heard the fan spinning. And I was pushing maybe 250-350 watts or more through it regularly for a while (speaker amp, tube amp, and DAC).

Also, the graphics visualization displayed through the touchscreen which shows the "before" and "after" sine waves is pretty cool, and kind of comforting, lol.

I've since moved on to the more modest (in both size and price) AudioQuest Niagara 1200, which I like a lot better. To start with, it somehow manages to first do no harm (imagine that!), at least with my system and with my power situation. I would totally recommend it as being worth a try, if only because it's a lot cheaper, and can be easily returned if gotten through Amazon (in the U.S. at least).

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #16,653 of 25,604
On the subject of power regenerators, I thought the PS Audio P12, which I had in my system for about two years, was pretty good, but also a mixed bag. I've posted about this in the past, but let me recapitulate...

Its effects on sound quality were both good and bad. This is the worst kind of outcome, where you have to weigh the pros against cons, leading to much hand-wringing.

It resulted in a more detailed, cleaner sound, a blacker background, stuff like that, which I really liked, and valued a lot. But also leeched out the bass just a bit, as well as the dynamics in general just a bit. Enough to be noticeable.

These qualities (both the good and bad) were more apparent using some devices more than others. I felt like it was more negative than positive when used with the Benchmark HPA4 as well as the Bakoon AMP-13R, making both brighter and less dynamic. With the Bakoon in particular, the lessening of dynamics and bass was a problem with the Susvara, so I always left that amp connected to the mains. I did think the P12 was quite positive with the DAVE DAC I had at the time, with no perceivable negatives. That was the main reason why I kept it so long, but at a certain point, it was the only device I was using it for, which seemed a bit much. Though I also thought it was an easy net positive with my Pass Labs speaker amp as well.

Last thing worth mentioning on sound is that even with all components connected through the P12, the sound quality remained dramatically better late at night compared to the middle of the evening, so that observation alone tells me it was not doing close to enough to what would be ideal. Totally understandable, but still...

Lessee, what else... It consumes about 20% more power than what would otherwise be required (if I remember the number correctly, but it's somewhere along those lines), so that's something to keep in mind. Also, it has a fan, but I never noticed it get hardly even warm and never heard the fan spinning. And I was pushing maybe 250-350 watts or more through it regularly for a while (speaker amp, tube amp, and DAC).

Also, the graphics visualization displayed through the touchscreen which shows the "before" and "after" sine waves is pretty cool, and kind of comforting, lol.

I've since moved on to the more modest (in both size and price) AudioQuest Niagara 1200, which I like a lot better. To start with, it somehow manages to first do no harm (imagine that!), at least with my system and with my power situation. I would totally recommend it as being worth a try, if only because it's a lot cheaper, and can be easily returned if gotten through Amazon (in the U.S. at least).
Hmmm the first easy way to see if a conditioner works is if the sound is blacker, deeper and bigger soundstage. One can disregard judging other matters. With that said, one must be mindful that component upgrading has growing pains where areas that sound worse is not due to the new device in the chain but rather it exposes the new weaker links in the chain.

Like for example you did hear a cleaner background. But if it also killed dynamics, it's possible it's showing the quality of the power cable. This was my experience.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #16,654 of 25,604
Hmmm the first easy way to see if a conditioner works is if the sound is blacker, deeper and bigger soundstage. One can disregard judging other matters

Exactly. That particular darkness and expanded soundstage are the effects of noise removal and to that list I'd also add lesser grit and better color.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 14, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #16,655 of 25,604
My friend @goldwerger is really making think about getting a pair of Susvar’s. I have liked them but having listened to them on different setups now is making like them a bit more. Probably will also go for a pair of ZMF Atrium’s as well as had them on loan for a couple of months and did enjoy them as well.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #16,656 of 25,604
My friend @goldwerger is really making think about getting a pair of Susvar’s. I have liked them but having listened to them on different setups now is making like them a bit more. Probably will also go for a pair of ZMF Atrium’s as well as had them on loan for a couple of months and did enjoy them as well.

I absolutely love my Susvaras. You can’t go wrong with them! In fact I’m trimming down my headphone collection to one open and closed back so I’m selling my Atrium if Koa interests you :ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #16,657 of 25,604
one of each is the way to go... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #16,658 of 25,604
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #16,659 of 25,604
I believe it but my wallet could disagree.
Yea, I hear you my friend 🙏

Hard choice, love them both. If you have a good amp, I’d probably go with Susvara first as it’s the best all-rounder imaginable. But otherwise, Atrium is super easy to drive (impedance notwithstanding). I suspect though you already have some serious horsepower for your 1266…

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #16,660 of 25,604
from my own personal experience, if you really like the susvaras and can afford them and a suitable amp that drives them well, and have actually (more or less) made a decision that you want to buy them, then put off all other headphone purchases til you get them in and you live with them for a short while.

you will then better know what else you may want to add to your stable to complement your susvaras and what no longer is relevant or even measures up. (Or you may find you decide to move away from them, god forbid)

(and that is not taking away what other headphones can offer - but it all becomes relative)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #16,662 of 25,604
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #16,664 of 25,604
Can you elaborate a little. Have you personally listened to Susvara with Topping LA90?
Yes.
Has enough power to easily get the volume level.
But not remotely as dynamic, black/separation, extended bass, and soundstage as higher quality amps; say, for a small form factor SS, like the Ferrum Stack

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #16,665 of 25,604
But note remotely as dynamic, black/separation, extended bass, and soundstage as higher quality amps; say, for a small form factor SS, like the Ferrum Stack

It's always interesting to find we all hear differently (well, accurately speaking, I sometimes hear drastically different from most others). I do agree and can confirm that Ferrum OOR is very solid and got a good impression -- but not necessarily with Hypsos.. I personally preferred that amp wo hypsos.

But when ABed I found myself favoring AHB2 better in all the very exact criteria. Later I found LA90 met my requirements albeit sounded differently and I'm fully content with how the amp drives my Susvara. I'd also comment my taste and flavor can be unusual -- for example, I really liked how Akitika gt-102 sounded with Susvara. I couldn't find anyone else who agreed with me to date haha.

I think my weirdo-ish preference and expected financial gain (cost saving) biased me a lot. I don't seem to necessarily agree with general opinions toward typical recommendations when I actually heard (didn't hear a few super uber ones such as ef-1000 but that's out of my budget + I want to avoid high-heat amps anyway), either. @ZzZzZzZ should take a grain of salt in seeing my claims. There are less disputable options you'd like to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back