HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #16,501 of 25,603
This is what I've been saying. You are correct. Don't mind these guys ....
Then, I have good reasons to continue my quest for better sound with head-fi and stereo. :beerchug:

TBH, in this hobby, the excitement of having new gear is addictive right? otherwise you won't have several headphones or amps or DAP in your arsenal.:gs1000smile:

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #16,502 of 25,603
Nope, I'm sure it was not out of phase.

Staging was deep and wide, 3D was nicely layered also.
Instruments that supposedly on the left is on the left.

It was just, at least for me, the image of the singer or lead instrument was not as natural as produced by headamps.

The image was like MBL omni directional speakers, if you familiar with MBL. Staging width, depth, 3D is good except the vocal image is not like conventional direct driver speaker which we are accustomed to.

Cheers guys
Yep imaging is wrecked... Have you tried mono tracks? Not that it matters at this rate...

TBH, in this hobby, the excitement of having new gear is addictive right? otherwise you won't have several headphones or amps or DAP in your arsenal.:gs1000smile:
Yep...ppl get too excited with new gear sound regardless if it's right or wrong.

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #16,503 of 25,603
Yep imaging is wrecked... Have you tried mono tracks? Not that it matters at this rate...
Yes, exactly like you said.

I tried Cayin HA300-Mk2 with big speakers also. The staging is too narrow, the singer image is big in the center. Well It just confirmed my opinions above.

So for me, I will not mix match stereo amps with head amps. Let both do their jobs in their own field.

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #16,504 of 25,603
Yes, exactly like you said.

I tried Cayin HA300-Mk2 with big speakers also. The staging is too narrow, the singer image is big in the center. Well It just confirmed my opinions above.

So for me, I will not mix match stereo amps with head amps. Let both do their jobs in their own field.
Just for coverage.... Or giggles...
Screenshot_20220703-221243.jpg

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #16,505 of 25,603
Honestly, if vocals weren't being imaged realistically, you likely made a wiring error with whatever adapter you used with the speaker amp. A phase error or channel swap could account for what you perceived. Otherwise, moving from a headphone to a speaker amp should not have the effect you described. I say this as someone who has lots of actual experience driving Susvara with both.

Yea, I've not at all experienced issues with imaging and vocals with the Susvara or any other headphones via speaker amps. And I continue to use both.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #16,507 of 25,603
Susvaras moved up the delivery date from Tuesday to today folks!!! Giddiness levels at maximum

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #16,508 of 25,603
Susvaras moved up the delivery date from Tuesday to today folks!!! Giddiness levels at maximum
The pure joy of receiving super deluxe headphones in the mail is underrated.

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #16,510 of 25,603
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #16,511 of 25,603
Awesome. Will be very interested in reading your impressions of Susvara vs Atrium with the Orr + Spring stack.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #16,512 of 25,603
violectric v281 is not far from ideal in fact one of the best 'pairing' for the Susvara. Plenty of power to with the +12db switch at the bank. V281 is a warm sounding amp which complements the Susvara adding more ooomph which tc owners wants out of their abyss'. Try it out first before venturing into other Amp adventures.
Curious as to what other amps that are commonly recommended for the Susvara you’ve compared the V281 to.

Genuinely asking and not being argumentative because I’ve been using the Susvara with my v280 for about 3 months while I decide what to upgrade to. While it does sound good and certainly has enough volume with the +12 pregain (actually still has plenty of headroom at +6) if this is near the top of what the Susvara is capable of I will probably sell it. For that matter my Monolith 887 has plenty of power/headroom as well. Way louder than I would listen. The key here is synergy and I totally get what you’re saying regarding the Violectric warmth. That part I do like. Just hope there’s a bit more to squeeze from the Susvara.

I’ll see come CamJam when I hear some other amps. I don’t mind diminishing returns but I can find a better use of Susvara kind of cash on gear or other cans if that’s the case.

Don’t get me wrong I love the Susvara and this is all hypothetical because I haven’t heard these other amps yet. Just saying if the V280 is that close to plateau and as you say “one of the best”….I’ll be pretty disappointed.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #16,513 of 25,603
Curious as to what other amps that are commonly recommended for the Susvara you’ve compared the V281 to.

Genuinely asking and not being argumentative because I’ve been using the Susvara with my v280 for about 3 months while I decide what to upgrade to. While it does sound good and certainly has enough volume with the +12 pregain (actually still has plenty of headroom at +6) if this is near the top of what the Susvara is capable of I will probably sell it. For that matter my Monolith 887 has plenty of power/headroom as well. Way louder than I would listen. The key here is synergy and I totally get what you’re saying regarding the Violectric warmth. That part I do like. Just hope there’s a bit more to squeeze from the Susvara.

I’ll see come CamJam when I hear some other amps. I don’t mind diminishing returns but I can find a better use of Susvara kind of cash on gear or other cans if that’s the case.

Don’t get me wrong I love the Susvara and this is all hypothetical because I haven’t heard these other amps yet. Just saying if the V280 is that close to plateau and as you say “one of the best”….I’ll be pretty disappointed.
Well, in terms of sound quality alone if you can buy HE6se for $500, HEK should be $1000 and Susvara should be $1500 max - Susvara is definitely not 300% better than HE6se. However it’s hard to find a pair of top quality speakers for $1500, so still $1500 is justifiable. However at $6k msrp it’s budding heads with some really good speakers and Susvara simply cannot compete on any area except for it being a headphone.

When I first heard Susvara on HFM’s $10k amp I was like that’s it?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #16,514 of 25,603

The v280 falls short - i used to own the v280 and tried it.
A great amp but not with the susvaras (or empyreans either as too dark in that combo)

Ps i did enjoy the v280 with lcd4 though, and utopias

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #16,515 of 25,603
I want to share a bit of my experience, what I felt when directly connect Susvara, 1266TC, ZMF VC, HD650 to stereo amps , Gryphon Diablo (SS) 300w and Manley Ichiban (tube) 200w.

First I pick a large orchestra piece, my gosh it was amazing, spectral, really fantastic. Soundstage is big and wide, like you are watching movie in IMAX theater. Very dynamic, bass was deep and tight, treble is clean, open, transparant, well extended. Instrument separation was tidy, pitch black background. My friends and me were stunt. We never expect the presentation will be that magnificent like big speakers setup.

Then, we tried jazz from Allison Krauss, Sara K, Linda Ronstadt, Al Jarreau to Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Charlie Haden etc. This is where we spotted that there was something not right in the presentation. The vocal was not pinpoint, dead center like we used to hear from well setup speakers and especially from headphones amps. There was a hollow, empty space in the middle of the stage.

Then we tried roon crossfeed dsp, playing with several cut off frequency and gain. It is helping a little bit but still not the correct presentation like we use to hear from well setup headamps (At that time we had Riviera AIC10, Xi Audio Formula S, Burson Soloist 3GT at my place).

Conclusion:
Well, if you want to have the best out of your headfi system, use dedicated amps for headphones. Big amps has its own advantages and superiority but the presentation is different from what a good headamps give you. It just like they are sailing a different kind of sea.

Guys, my opinions may not be to your liking or conform with your impressions, it's just mine. You may have different opinions and impressions. If you are satisfied with what you have now, just keep on enjoying & play with it. Music is for your own delight and pleasure, don't mind what people say about it.

Cheers and enjoy music.

Do you felt the the vocals with Susvara and Diablo 300 is more lay back? Further away as if it is more distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back