Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jun 4, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #3,466 of 4,255
Over the past few months I’ve had X2HR’s, 58X’s, Meze 99 Classics and in the last week I got the Sundara’s. For me, only the 99’s had less clamp than the Sundara’s. The X2HR’s and 58X’s clamp FAR more for me.

I was thinking of picking up this cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M5Y4...olid=25GKMUJNFJCQA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It also mentions TRSS but I think I read elsewhere that it should be fine on the Sundara as the extra point wouldn’t be used anyway?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #3,467 of 4,255
Over the past few months I’ve had X2HR’s, 58X’s, Meze 99 Classics and in the last week I got the Sundara’s. For me, only the 99’s had less clamp than the Sundara’s. The X2HR’s and 58X’s clamp FAR more for me.

I was thinking of picking up this cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M5Y4...olid=25GKMUJNFJCQA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It also mentions TRSS but I think I read elsewhere that it should be fine on the Sundara as the extra point wouldn’t be used anyway?

I would strongly assume that these work. Otherwise you could go with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L33999M
It mentions the Sundara in description. For some reason it's a bit more expensive.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #3,468 of 4,255
I would strongly assume that these work. Otherwise you could go with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08L33999M
It mentions the Sundara in description. For some reason it's a bit more expensive.

Yep, that’s the one I initially had in my basket. But then I did a bit more digging, found the other cables and am curious why they’re quite a bit cheaper.

I figure I’ll get the cheaper cable and if it doesn’t work then I’ll just return it.

Edit: I messaged the seller on Amazon asking if the cheaper cable would work with the Sundara and they replied saying the more expensive one is needed.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #3,470 of 4,255
Hello

I have been using the Sundara paired with the Fiio Q3 on the 2.5mm balanced output. While it sounds really good and the Q3 is able to power the Sundara, I can’t help but think that a better amp would help in getting more out of the Sundara especially after reading a lot of reviews and comments.

So my question is does using a more powerful amp for the Sundara is really beneficial with much better performance or would the difference be only minimal? If it indeed is really beneficial, then I would like some recommendations for an amp at around 10,000 Indian rupees which I can use along with the Fiio Q3 serving as the DAC. I am thinking the Schitt Magni3 or Hersey but any other options also okay. If not then I can probably go for something like the Fiio K5 Pro to act as both DAC and amp but the money I spent on the Q3 might be wasted but of course I can still have it as portable option and use it for other scenarios.

If the difference is only going to be minimal then I can just stick with the Fiio Q3 and instead save the money.

Let me know. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,471 of 4,255
One of the best amps soundwise I've heard with the Sundara is the Little Dot 1+

+1 to this. The Little Dot 1+ with the right tubes is an incredible synergy with the Sundara.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #3,472 of 4,255
Hello

I have been using the Sundara paired with the Fiio Q3 on the 2.5mm balanced output. While it sounds really good and the Q3 is able to power the Sundara, I can’t help but think that a better amp would help in getting more out of the Sundara especially after reading a lot of reviews and comments.

So my question is does using a more powerful amp for the Sundara is really beneficial with much better performance or would the difference be only minimal? If it indeed is really beneficial, then I would like some recommendations for an amp at around 10,000 Indian rupees which I can use along with the Fiio Q3 serving as the DAC. I am thinking the Schitt Magni3 or Hersey but any other options also okay. If not then I can probably go for something like the Fiio K5 Pro to act as both DAC and amp but the money I spent on the Q3 might be wasted but of course I can still have it as portable option and use it for other scenarios.

If the difference is only going to be minimal then I can just stick with the Fiio Q3 and instead save the money.

Let me know. Thanks.
I find the Sundara to sound good with tubes in the chain. I've had good results with both Little Dot 1+ and Schiit Lyr.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #3,473 of 4,255
+1 to this. The Little Dot 1+ with the right tubes is an incredible synergy with the Sundara.
Thanks! The Little Dot sounds great with every headphone I own. It even drives the Argons well. With the right tubes and opamp it is a giant killer and I don't get why it isn't recommended or discussed more than it is.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #3,474 of 4,255
Hello

Let me know. Thanks.
can you please the indian rupees to horses value, so I can advise you, thanks.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,475 of 4,255
Thanks! The Little Dot sounds great with every headphone I own. It even drives the Argons well. With the right tubes and opamp it is a giant killer and I don't get why it isn't recommended or discussed more than it is.

I think it's largely because it's quite old now. I'm running Voskhod tubes with MUSES02 opamp. I have nothing to use it with currently though! I'm creeping around this thread as I'm playing with the idea of rebuying the Sundara :)

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #3,477 of 4,255
iFi iDSD signature should be great with the Sundara if your budget can push to it. If not, maybe the ifi Hip DAC?

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,479 of 4,255
I think it's largely because it's quite old now. I'm running Voskhod tubes with MUSES02 opamp. I have nothing to use it with currently though! I'm creeping around this thread as I'm playing with the idea of rebuying the Sundara :)
Very nice! I ran that very same combo (opamp and tubes) and it's killer! I have the Sparkos Lab SS3602 in it now which is a definite upgrade over the Muses. The Sparkos has a little extra treble energy (it's smooth and detailed though, not harsh) over the Muses so I run Mullards with the Sparkos to take the highs down just a tad. With the Muses I definitely prefered the Voskhod. I do prefer the Sparkos and Mullard combo overall as it provides a much more 3D soundstage and overall detail improvement while still retaining great tonality.

That makes total since about the Little Dot not being the latest greatest thing out there. As you well know it still stacks up! The good thing about the Little Dot is it seems to sound great with everything so no matter what headphone you decide to go with (including Sundara), it will be a good match.

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,480 of 4,255
I do prefer the Sparkos and Mullard combo overall as it provides a much more 3D soundstage and overall detail improvement while still retaining great tonality.

Interesting combination! I have the Mullards to hand but found them too dark. I might have to try them with the Sparkos! Thanks for the inspiration friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back