Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 24, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #3,436 of 4,250
Meze 99 classics is fun but too much coloring at bass and mid bass.
Fun and not fatiguing at all.
Then it comes to how sensitive you are at certain regions.
For example I don't find the 58x fatiguing at all , so I don't know how you will react to 660S or Sundara which are great headphones and the best €400 contenders.
I'm thinking on Meze 99 Classic but as I understand I need to buy smaller pads because the stock (larger one) ruined the sound? Also I need silver cable? That would cost over 400€ so I don't know.

May 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3,437 of 4,250
I'm thinking on Meze 99 Classic but as I understand I need to buy smaller pads because the stock (larger one) ruined the sound? Also I need silver cable? That would cost over 400€ so I don't know.
I have listened to them with the stock pads and I didn't find any problems.
Liked them stock and I don't think that you need to change the cable.
Listen to them , let the sound grow on you and then take the next step.

May 24, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #3,439 of 4,250
I'm searching for the best headphones I can buy for 400€. I'm in Europe so I don't have many options. I have HD660s, Sundara, Meze 99 Classic and that's it. I have Schiit Asgard 3 and HRT Music Streamer II. I want fatigue free headphones. I find the HD58x to be fatiguing. HD 6xx is not fatiguing but I didn't like them so I've sold them. I also found AKG K371 to be fatiguing also (artificial, metallic).

Any advice?

Thanks!
I would recommend the HD660S. IF you didn't like the 6XX you won't like the Meze 99 as well.

May 24, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #3,440 of 4,250
I've tried HD58X (fun but fatiguing), HD6XX (smooth but boring), AKG K371 (great but little artificial/metallic, also little fatiguing), NAD VISO HP50 (great but uncomfortable, and sound stage is really small).
I'm looking at HD660S, Sundara and Meze 99 Classic. Also I would like to try E-MU Teak and Dan Clark Aeon X but almost impossible to buy second hand in Europe, and it would be to expensive to import.
Audio Technica ATH-R70X.

Not as smooth as the 6XX in the mids, but not boring or overpowering in the highs either... imaging not as flat as the 600 or 650 either.

Concedes a little detail compared to the Sundara, but a much more relaxed listen.

Well within your budget at around €280-€320

May 24, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,441 of 4,250
Meze 99 classics is fun but too much coloring at bass and mid bass.
Fun and not fatiguing at all.
Then it comes to how sensitive you are at certain regions.
For example I don't find the 58x fatiguing at all , so I don't know how you will react to 660S or Sundara which are great headphones and the best €400 contenders.
Yes, and the Schiit Loki tames the 99s nicely. I love the 58x as well. Much better than the 6xx, but that’s my take.

May 25, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #3,443 of 4,250
Audio Technica ATH-R70X.

Not as smooth as the 6XX in the mids, but not boring or overpowering in the highs either... imaging not as flat as the 600 or 650 either.

Concedes a little detail compared to the Sundara, but a much more relaxed listen.

Well within your budget at around €280-€320
Hmmm now I'm interested in ATH-R70X. Could you compare it a little more vs Sundara?

Thanks!

May 25, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,444 of 4,250
I've tried HD58X (fun but fatiguing), HD6XX (smooth but boring), AKG K371 (great but little artificial/metallic, also little fatiguing), NAD VISO HP50 (great but uncomfortable, and sound stage is really small).
I'm looking at HD660S, Sundara and Meze 99 Classic. Also I would like to try E-MU Teak and Dan Clark Aeon X but almost impossible to buy second hand in Europe, and it would be to expensive to import.
Another one to consider is the Amiron Home. They are smooth like the 6XX/650 while having slightly better detail and a good bit better soundstage and imaging.

May 25, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,445 of 4,250
Hmmm now I'm interested in ATH-R70X. Could you compare it a little more vs Sundara?

Thanks!
Soundstage width: tie, though neither are super wide, but well above average
Imaging: R70X>Sundara
Detail: Sundara>R70X
Resolution: Sundara>R70X
Timbre: R70X>>Sundara
Bass: Sundara>R70X
Mids: R70X>Sundara
Treble: tie, Sundara has more air, but both are sweet
Overall tonality: R70X>>Sundara
Low fatigue: R70X>>Sundara

The R70X just sound wonderfully natural, and it's a combination of tonality, imaging, timbre and capable technical performances. There are so many live and studio recordings where you are perfectly dropped into the space. I've not spent enough time with the TOTL stuff, but aside from a few issues with vocals (there's a little bit of bite at 2.5 kHz and 3.5-4kHz that can show up with a lot of vocal processing), this is an amazing break point.

I feel like you can get a pair of these, and use them for just about everything, and when the vocals are frustrating you, you can switch to the 6XX. That combo would just be bliss for most people in almost every song they'll ever listen to, at least from a headphone perspective.

I feel like any grasping for additional soundstage or timbral quality would be better invested in a speaker set, where you'll actually get the benefits of well-crafted multi-driver setups.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #3,446 of 4,250
Hi. Would a hugo 2 power a sundara well?

May 27, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #3,449 of 4,250
Which of these do you think pairs best with the Sundara?

- Hiby R5 Saber
- Hiby R5
- iBasso DX160 2020

I believe all of them have enough output power on balanced, so mainly thinking in terms of overall sound signature match.
I have the DX160 2020 and its fine. Never tried the Hiby R5 but I have the N3 Pro and its garbage in comparison to the DX160 when both are using balanced.

May 28, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,450 of 4,250
Looking to buy a pair of these in the next few days. I’ve seen some people say the Fiio BTR5 will drive them fine, at the limit of what the BTR5 can do, and then others say the BTR5 just won’t cut it at all.

I wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile whatsoever and I’m not overly picky or attentive on minute details so I’m hoping I’ll fall into the camp of the BTR5 being fine for me 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back