Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,056 of 4,255
Try using Google Street View and check out the address ...

I freaked out and thought I was scammed on my 1st return/exchange (Paypal'ed the diff between Sundara and Ananda to upgrade), but it was all legit. Seems their US operations are a bit smaller than I thought. :D

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #2,057 of 4,255
Try using Google Street View and check out the address ...

I freaked out and thought I was scammed on my 1st return/exchange (Paypal'ed the diff between Sundara and Ananda to upgrade), but it was all legit. Seems their US operations are a bit smaller than I thought. :D
I saw that too! Residence in a NY ‘burb. I returned Sundara for a volume imbalance issue, got new ones in a week-ish. And with Lyr 3, they absolutely sing.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #2,058 of 4,255
Goddamn, I was having a moment of panic for the last thirty minutes.

I identified a certain frequency range (lower male octave) which caused a buzzing in my left driver. But only on my most powerful amp (Cayin iHA-6).

So naturally, I think, perhaps its the amp. But I tried many different headphones, and none of them had the buzzing. So then I switched cables. The problem remained with Sundara.

Driver failure, I'm thinking. But then I remove the earpad and see a ring of screws holding the cups, and drivers, I assume, together. So I begin tightening them. Some of the screws had a good ways to go before they felt tight. Afterword, I put the pads back on, and gave her another listen.

The buzzing is gone! :beerchug:

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,059 of 4,255
Goddamn, I was having a moment of panic for the last thirty minutes.

I identified a certain frequency range (lower male octave) which caused a buzzing in my left driver. But only on my most powerful amp (Cayin iHA-6).

So naturally, I think, perhaps its the amp. But I tried many different headphones, and none of them had the buzzing. So then I switched cables. The problem remained with Sundara.

Driver failure, I'm thinking. But then I remove the earpad and see a ring of screws holding the cups, and drivers, I assume, together. So I begin tightening them. Some of the screws had a good ways to go before they felt tight. Afterword, I put the pads back on, and gave her another listen.

The buzzing is gone! :beerchug:
Thank goodness it was a simple fix!

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,060 of 4,255
Focal Elex shares many attributes with the DT 1990. Both are bright, but the Elex is closer to neutral than the 1990. Both take almost a violent attitude towards the notes and syllables in the music - everything is emphasized and attack is tremendous, just a little less so I think in the Elex. Like the AFC down the list there is good bass, but like the AFC there isn’t a huge amount of it. But, again what is there is great, all the notes and instruments are coherent and distinct and there is no bleed into the mids. Nice mids and vocals, but just a little recessed. Treble can be, like the DT 1990, a little hot and these cans like to play on the edge of sibilance like the DT 1990, just not as close to the edge. Very clear sounding and nothing veiled. Not quite as painful as the 1990, these I could listen to for hours without it feeling like a direct sonic barrage from a New Age weapon, though it is located in a nearby neighborhood...

Thanks for the great descriptions.

Is there any point in owning an Elex if you already have a DT 1990 Pro? I have the latter, and am considering the former. What drew me to Elex was hearing that it was like a 'supercharged HD650' in sound signature... To what extent would you agree with that? If the statement is somewhat true, then the Elex must sound quite different from the DT 1990 Pro, as the DT 1990 Pro sounds nothing like a supercharged HD650...

Does the Elex have less bass slam/impact than the DT 1990 Pro?

Finally, I also hear that the Elex has unrivaled macrodynamics (which I take to mean the difference between loud and soft notes - and particularly how sudden loud bursts of music can seem to attack you), but do you think the DT 1990 Pro is actually better in this regard than the Elex when you say "everything is emphasized and attack is tremendous, just a little less so I think in the Elex"?

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,061 of 4,255
Hey guys, planning to get these but wanted to have information/advice about place to buy. In my country these are really expensive comparing to other places so it's cheaper for me to buy them from Amazon.de/uk or Thomann. I don't care about shipping prices, just wanted to know - which is best place in terms of warranty/support etc ? I found out today that amazon.de is offering 2-year standard manufacturer warranty while there is written on Thomann, that they got "extended" 3 year warranty, any experience with them ?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,062 of 4,255
Since I'm in no hurry, I think I will wait until around the holidays and see if there are any sales/coupon codes/etc. So it might be awhile until I get these, but I will post my comparisons/impressions when I do. Thanks for the info/advice all!

Well, that was my last post itt awhile ago, but I found a pretty good deal on the Sundara's so I went ahead and bought a pair. They should be here next week. Just hope they sound significantly better than my 400i's or else I'm going to have to return them.

I'll let everyone know what I think after I compare the two for awhile.

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #2,063 of 4,255
Got a pair of Periapt XLR-terminated cables to go along with the Sundara, because the old cable kept gathering grime. Pretty decent, no big sound difference, but feels much sturdier now. I still can't believe the LCD2C was priced so much higher than this...

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,064 of 4,255
Well, I just sat on my Sundaras. One of the yokes bent pretty significantly, but I was able to bend it back into place without really any trouble. Thanks Hifiman for switching to the metal yokes this time around, otherwise I guess I would've just destroyed my headphones!

Still noticing some grain or a kind of sheen especially seemingly at around 11kHz? There's definitely a little bit of tizz in the treble, which can be annoying with recordings with really bright cymbals or sibilant vocals. S's have a little bit of a "pinched" sound, if that makes any sense. Anyone else noticing that? I've always heard that these are pretty even compared with other headphones in the treble, and it's sort of like a wide M-shaped boost to the 9kHz-11kHz range (i.e. peaks at 9kHz and 11kHz with a little bit less in between). I mostly notice it after listening to the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, which has a more even treble response. The treble definitely has an edge.

I'm also kind of curious about if anyone who's listened to the Sundara has listened to Stax at all. There seems to be a sort of similarity between the way people describe the Stax sound and the Sundara, with "softness," "airiness," "ethereality," and speed being mentioned often with both. But do they actually sound similar? I haven't heard Stax yet, but I've been thinking of eventually seeing if I can get an L300 or something.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2,066 of 4,255
Well I got my Sundaras today. :)

No defects I can see and working perfectly. The metal construction is nice, solid. More substantial than the 400i, although I actually like the plastic aesthetics of the 400i slightly more (the more "basic" metal look of the Sundaras is also nice looking).

I will say that the band size adjuster is very hard to slide, to the point that I was worried about breaking the plastic sleeve. But that's not much of an issue as once it is at the right position for one's head, it need not be adjusted again. (Unless you will share this with someone; then it could be a real issue).

I also find the pads somewhat uncomfortable, but most pads have to "mold" to my ears before they really feel comfortable. This can take weeks.

As for the sound quality, simply put, I'm impressed. Very. The Sundaras are not a slight or negligible improvement over the 400i's imo, but a significant one, perhaps a dramatic one.

A/Bing the two the difference is not subtle; nor is listening to well known tracks through the Sundaras. I won't get into exhaustive comparisons (plenty of others have done that), especially since I've only been listening for a few hours. I'll just say that they do everything the 400i's do, but better. This is apparent on both the large and smaller (more subtle) scale. (And the subtle improvements, which often take time to notice or appreciate, are often what really count in a vast many things in life imo). Particularly impressed with the smoothness and cohesion of the sound, the clearing up of the mids (much less congestion and more instrument separation), and more bass impact and slam (something that not being a basshead I didn't even think I missed). And they have that good PRaT which the 400i's could lack; no problem handling fast paced rock/speed metal.

Probably the best thing I can say for the Sundaras is that I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from listening to them, and I keep queuing up favorite tracks (and well produced "test" tracks) to hear through them. I haven't gotten deep into all the genres I want to listen to yet (no classical, soul, folk, ambient, etc.) but the pop, rock, metal and jazz I've thrown at them they have all performed well and I've been very impressed (yes, even to the point of shivers) with their "take" on quite a few tracks/albums.

Really glad I finally upgraded, especially at this price.

Important note: I don't think the impressions above are just the "honeymoon/new toy" phase as with me usually my first impressions with audio gear don't change, I either like it right away (like, literally within seconds) or I don't and that doesn't change much if at all (and I'm actually tired today so it should be harder to get enthused over new gear and music, especially "energetic" music). And the Sundaras are still not perfect of course (there's a few things I think I'm picking up in the sound that aren't quite what I'd like), but they are 1) a big improvement over the 400i's and 2) quite impressive at this price point. And that's all I asked.

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #2,067 of 4,255
Received my Sundara a couple weeks ago. Have around 30 hours on them. Just wanted an alternative to the he560 I've been listening too for the last year and a half. Back then I sold my 400i because to my ears the 560 was much better.
Anyway, the Sundara has a very addictive sound. I've been a/bing with the 560. And I have to say, I like the Sundara better with all genres except hard rock and metal. They are much cleaner, with more resolution. The bass is super tight but that's where the 560 has them beat. I have a hard time listening to heavy music on the Sundara because it is very fatiguing to my ears.
However, with jazz, pop, acoustic, Latin the Sundara is so airy and clear, I just love it. Not a perfect headphone but neither is the 560.
I won't go into greater detail, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I truly believe that Hifiman puts out an excellent sounding product for the money. Even with their QC problems, I keep buying them because I like what I hear.

Update: after another 5 hour session with the Sundara, I'm realizing that burn in is very much real. While I was listening all the sudden I heard the sound change. Not drastically but where the edge smoothed out a bit. I guess I can expect there to be more subtle changes as time goes on. I'm definitely appreciating them more and more.

An absolute steal at the current price of $350 USD

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2,069 of 4,255
I wonder if the price goes down on these on black friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back