Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,026 of 4,259
Okay, just before contacting HifiMan I decided to run sweep tones. What I found:
- Strange noise. Sometimes loud, sometimes quiet. On both channels.
- More disturbing is that probably has overall channel imbalance over frequency range. Especially, it shows at around 4-6khz. I don't know if it's okay, but you could easily notice one channel becomes louder, then another.

Hi there, if you could please contact us at customerservice@hifiman.com we can see what we can see to get things sorted for you.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 3, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,027 of 4,259
I appreciate more and more my Sundara, maybe more than my beloved Fidelio X2. What Hifiman headphones, with the same house sound than Sundara, would be an upgrade of Sundara ?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #2,029 of 4,259
I have a question for the planar veterans. I'm using my Hifiman cans with a FiiO E17 Apen II. This is great but I noticed that the sound tends to get fatigued after a few hours unless that's because there still needs to be some break in time. Is there a better headphone amp option? I was thinking about a Schiit Magni 3. I've been reading mixed reviews in regards to tube amps with planars so I'm not sure that's a better option.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #2,030 of 4,259
When these came out, they might have been 3rd in the HFM line, but, they were medium priced or perhaps a bit above. Since they came out, a whole plethora of cans has come out, and these are now by my count #11 in the HFM price universe (over ear). Not only 11th, but, the cheapest can they make. Judging them as high or mid level cans isn't fair. They are uneven, you can hear them chuff, they are not accurate, they are entertaining (fun). I have a pair of 4xx's which are close and use them outdoors when working, or traveling with a DAP.

You want accuracy for this type of money? The Senn HD-600 blows them off the map. You want some mid bass pretending to be bass with a grunt the 600's don't have? Buy both.

The fellow that insists the 400i is state of the art, is out of touch and out of date.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,031 of 4,259
HIFIMAN Arya is one for sure :)

Or if you have the power, HE6SE :)

HE6SE is in more or less the same bracket as the Sundara - but less bass and more spiky treble.

The Arya is about 3 classes in sound and 4 classes in cost above both of those. If you can afford it, forget the others.

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #2,032 of 4,259
HE6SE is in more or less the same bracket as the Sundara - but less bass and more spiky treble.

The Arya is about 3 classes in sound and 4 classes in cost above both of those. If you can afford it, forget the others.

Are you talking about the HE560 or the HE6SE here ?

The HE6SE's are even more expensive than the Arya's !!

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,033 of 4,259
Are you talking about the HE560 or the HE6SE here ?

The HE6SE's are even more expensive than the Arya's !!

Oops, somehow even though I wrote HE6SE I was thinking HE5SE - which I've wrote about a bunch. No the HE6SE along with the Arya are super cans... pardon again

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #2,034 of 4,259
Just got the Sundara today. It sounds different from what everyone says it does. Great soundstage... more than the imaging (detail) it has, and average bass quantity. The highs sound amazing, their not sibilant not one bit. A very clear sounding headphone. I have great hearing and can be treble sensitive, but it could be that i just got them and they only been burned-in for 2 hours. Quality and characteristics change with burn-in.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2,035 of 4,259
Looking closely at these with the price drop.

I have the 400i's and like/love their sound signature, very impressed with them (even for the $250 I paid for them a couple years ago). It's a nice contrast to my first gen Beyer T1's, my main cans. There's something different about the planar sound (the 400i's are my first experience with it).

I'm wondering if the Sundara's are objectively better (more neutral) than the 400i's or a different sound signature (but not radically different) and if the improvements/difference are worth the price. Reading reviews it's hard to tell. I wouldn't want to spend $350 for modest improvements or differences. I like neutrality, resolution, a lean tight and taut sound, am no bass-head, treble doesn't bother me (I even lean towards a "bright" sound) and so far am fond of the HiFiman house sound (I have had various products from them going back to around when they first launched: IEM's, headphone amps...and no quality problems btw, with all products still working, if not used often).

I would like neutrality combined with a little excitement/energy or "snap" (which I find with the 400i's), not a laid back headphone, and fast paced is very appealing (sometimes I feel like the 400i's drag a bit). So while I like neutrality (when others complain of clinicalness or a "dry, "cold", or "hard" sound I don't get it), I'm afraid the Sundara's might be too laid back...for reference I don't like older Senn's which I have found exactly that (as well as too warm).

The 400i's do have their drawbacks, they aren't superior to my T1's in terms of resolution or neutrality or musicality and their mids can sound congested/recessed imo, but they sure are a fun option with a different presentation (I particularly like them with 80's pop/synth pop/rock for some reason). I find them very textured, like they are pulling or combing the sound to extract minute details, especially in the low-mid bass which is very articulate. It's an approach I've never heard before in any can or speaker.

Anyway, so save my money or take the plunge? What do you guys think? TIA in advance.

PS: Will be pairing them with my Schiit Asgard 2 so no problems in driving them.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2,036 of 4,259

I have the 400i's and like/love their sound signature, very impressed with them (even for the $250 I paid for them a couple years ago). It's a nice contrast to my first gen Beyer T1's, my main cans. There's something different about the planar sound (the 400i's are my first experience with it).

I'm wondering if the Sundara's are objectively better (more neutral) than the 400i's or a different sound signature (but not radically different) and if the improvements/difference are worth the price. Reading reviews it's hard to tell. I wouldn't want to spend $350 for modest improvements or differences. I like neutrality, resolution, a lean tight and taut sound, am no bass-head, treble doesn't bother me (I even lean towards a "bright" sound) and so far am fond of the HiFiman house sound (I have had various products from them going back to around when they first launched: IEM's, headphone amps...and no quality problems btw, with all products still working, if not used often).

I would like neutrality combined with a little excitement/energy or "snap" (which I find with the 400i's), not a laid back headphone, and fast paced is very appealing (sometimes I feel like the 400i's drag a bit). So while I like neutrality (when others complain of clinicalness or a "dry, "cold", or "hard" sound I don't get it), I'm afraid the Sundara's might be too laid back...for reference I don't like older Senn's which I have found exactly that (as well as too warm).

The 400i's do have their drawbacks, they aren't superior to my T1's in terms of resolution or neutrality or musicality and their mids can sound congested/recessed imo, but they sure are a fun option with a different presentation (I particularly like them with 80's pop/synth pop/rock for some reason). I find them very textured, like they are pulling or combing the sound to extract minute details, especially in the low-mid bass which is very articulate. It's an approach I've never heard before in any can or speaker.

Anyway, so save my money or take the plunge? What do you guys think? TIA in advance.

PS: Will be pairing them with my Schiit Asgard 2 so no problems in driving them.
Watch Resolve Reviews video on Youtube Hifiman Sundara coming up for air I agree with him literally 100%. It has some amazing treble, it's clean, effortless, non fatiguing. And it definitely ain't boring, it's in the neutral aspect for as how it sounds.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,037 of 4,259
Watch Resolve Reviews video on Youtube Hifiman Sundara coming up for air I agree with him literally 100%. It has some amazing treble, it's clean, effortless, non fatiguing. And it definitely ain't boring, it's in the neutral aspect for as how it sounds.

I have the 400i as well, and had it since Aug 2017. I agree sometimes it can sound sluggish, slow and boring...you gotta focus and grind at times like that to out-hear it, and get into it.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #2,038 of 4,259

Recently I listened to my 400i to the Sundara back to back, after not using the 400i for a long period of time. The 400i were my first planar and first real headphone after the HD 598.
I cannot see myself using the 400i again, the difference was too noticeable with a direct A/B.
The best way I could put it is that the Sundara improved on everything and hat the 400i does, while retaining neutral sound compared to my other headphones. The treble is more even, detailed and the staging seems improved. The overall tone seemed more clear.

On another note, HE6SE vs Arya? Just seeing a bit of this discussion above, would love to hear more about pros and cons of each as I've been dead set on an Arya for the better part of this year. :)

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,039 of 4,259

Thank you, will watch when I get the chance.

And good to hear you don't find it boring as one reviewer in here did ("underwhelming").

I have the 400i as well, and had it since Aug 2017. I agree sometimes it can sound sluggish, slow and boring...you gotta focus and grind at times like that to out-hear it, and get into it.

Good to know you have the 400i to directly compare (memory is so fallible). It's very odd that sometimes I find them kind of slow, because at other times they are paced just fine, if not even energetic. I know that of course different songs have different tempos and such, and listener's have different moods (so when you are tired you might not notice the sluggishness, but when you are energized you can feel more like "come on, come on, let's go!" in terms of "song speed") but it's weird. I would like it if the Sundara's were faster paced at any rate, as they seem to be.

I guess the main problem I have with the 400i's is that seem too congested to me now in the mids (especially low mids). I'd like more air, more instrument separation. I don't need a huge sound stage, that's not the problem, just more clarity.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,040 of 4,259
Recently I listened to my 400i to the Sundara back to back, after not using the 400i for a long period of time. The 400i were my first planar and first real headphone after the HD 598.
I cannot see myself using the 400i again, the difference was too noticeable with a direct A/B.
The best way I could put it is that the Sundara improved on everything and hat the 400i does, while retaining neutral sound compared to my other headphones. The treble is more even, detailed and the staging seems improved. The overall tone seemed more clear.

Thanks for the direct comparison and yes, I find that sometimes when we listen to headphones that we were impressed with after not listening to them for awhile, especially when comparing them to a newer/more advanced model, we can be surprised or even shocked that we liked them so much because they just won't sound that great in comparison (that happened with all my old cans compared to the T1). The Senn HD 595's were my first real headphone btw (I never really liked them that much though); I go back that far ha!

Great, looks like I might have to throw some more money at some cans! I've been into the audio world since the mid 00's (was even on this forum under a different name) but after I finally made myself pay $900 for the T1's I was "out" and stayed away from the forums mostly. Then I saw the hype about the 400i's some time after they were released, and thought I had to try them and that different technology for the price. I was happily surprised and then I left again: ok 2 nice cans, I'm good. But recently I had to change the pads for the 400i's and that led me to looking at the new models HiFiMan had, whereupon I saw the Sundara's and that tempting price. So now here I am yet again lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back