Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,456 of 4,255
Slightly interested in the Sundara. Seems like a good all-rounder, but very different to the HD58X I currently have an my full-sized. It seems far less warm than the HD6-- family.
The vocals had an interesting timbre to it, it sounded almost ghostly to me. Didn't find it sibilant, it wasn't edgy or sharp to me, instead it was a really nice blend. Bass isn't muddy. Could do with a bit more sub-bass quantity. I really enjoyed the mids and treble actually.
Considering it as a possible upgrade to the HD58X.

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,457 of 4,255
I do come from an HD 800 which is bass-shy but the bass I heard from the Sundara ist just other-wordly. In Kraftwerk's Aero Dynamik (Live) it is like someone blowing softly into your ear (from the right to the left), and you feeling it.I also know the 400i and the 400 and Sundara has nothing to do with them.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,458 of 4,255
Im pretty settled with sundara and hd600 as my daily drivers, 600s for more laid back vocal stuff and sundaras kill it with all electronic music.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,460 of 4,255
Slightly interested in the Sundara. Seems like a good all-rounder, but very different to the HD58X I currently have an my full-sized. It seems far less warm than the HD6-- family.
The vocals had an interesting timbre to it, it sounded almost ghostly to me. Didn't find it sibilant, it wasn't edgy or sharp to me, instead it was a really nice blend. Bass isn't muddy. Could do with a bit more sub-bass quantity. I really enjoyed the mids and treble actually.
Considering it as a possible upgrade to the HD58X.
Could you describe the HD 58X vs the Sundara in more detail? I'm interested in getting a pair.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,461 of 4,255
Just new owner, I've got the sundara today 4:30 PM Italy and wowowowow, coming from AKG701 and GRADO's SR125, I have to say that beneath the need 150/200 hours of burn in I'm having the perfect mix of both previous cans I own. But more real, more present, more groovy. And I'm driving'em with a Sonar STX but in a few days there will be a Lyr3 on the desk, so by far it can only be better.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,462 of 4,255
Also a new owner, I can report that these sounded really good... for about 5 minutes before the right driver decided it didn't want to work. Thankfully the person I purchased them from is willing to use the warranty and get them repaired for me (I saw a decent deal on eBay and decided to cop). For now I will just have to wait before I am to able offer any further thoughts.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,463 of 4,255
Reading as much as I can here, but what is the general consensus of Ananda vs Sundara?
Love my HE400i, but wanting to get into some high-end Hifiman territory.

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,464 of 4,255
Reading as much as I can here, but what is the general consensus of Ananda vs Sundara?
Love my HE400i, but wanting to get into some high-end Hifiman territory.
From what I understand they are fairly similar, Ananda might have slightly more sub bass, I think Arya is the real upgrade over Sundara from what Iw read so far.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,465 of 4,255
I wanted to give an update to my journey looking for after market pads now that I've arrived at my destination.

So I tried the perforated ZMF Ori, the suede ZMF Eikon, the Dekoni X00 Elite Hybrids, and now the perforated ZMF Universe. My goal was to find a pair of pads with ear cavities that would allow me to naturally, haphazardly, and comfortably put the headphones on while preserving the tonality and technicalities of the stock Sundara.

I found that both the Ori and the Eikon shrunk the stage but sharpened the imaging, like how one can see things more clearly when they are closer. Unfortunately, this also had the effect making the treble a bit too hot for my tastes. Additionally, I noticed that the bass became a bit more bloomy and wooly with both pads, so I sold both of them shortly after trying them.

The X00 Elite Hybrids were actually a mis-delivery from Dekoni when I actually ordered the TH-900 Elite Hybrids. Tal from Dekoni, though eager to help, never actually shipped out replacement pads even though he claimed he did (it's been over a week, tracking to this day has not updated, I live in an adjacent state, and Tal has gone completely silent in our email exchange). I tried the X00 anyway and it was just poor pairing all around. I didn't listen to them long, but what was immediately clear was that the bass through lower midrange were greatly muffled and distorted.

Noticing that Sundara's stock pads have a round 55mm diameter ear cavity, I had a theory: the muffledness I heard in the aforementioned pads was due to their ear cavities being smaller than 55mm along at least one dimension. This meant that part of the pads blocked the diaphragm when the stock pads did not. The X00 pads were especially egregious of this offense.

I decided to try the ZMF Universe due to its large ear cavity, whose width is the same as the diameter of the stock pads' ear cavity and whose length is 50% larger. These pads do not block the driver diaphragm. I tried them on, and indeed bass resolution and performance was the same as the stock pads, just slightly more elevated, likely due to the better seal of the lambskin vs. the velour.

However, I noticed that, similar to the Ori and the Eikon before it, staging was much more intimate, imaging was sharper, and sounds were much more in-my-face. The beautiful expansiveness of the stock sound was gone, and once again the intimacy sometimes made the treble a tad too glaring for me. How could this be?

Looking over the Sundara's stock pads, I noticed the inner ear cavity wall is very densely perforated and also thin. This meant hardly any inner pad reflections were happening with the stock pads. Following this theory, I placed two strips of 1.5cm x 8cm felt tape along both sides of each Universe pad's inner wall. These walls are quite a bit thicker and rather sparsely perforated compared to the stock pads.

After this mod... Voila! This dampening, similar to how I modded my old M1060's stock pads, more or less eliminated inner pad reflections. The result is that higher frequencies were no longer amplified by reflections to immediately in front of my face and the delicate expansiveness of presence and treble returned! There is absolutely no glare or hotness now either!

For those who love the Sundara's stock sound, but want something with a larger, more forgiving ear cavity, I highly recommend the ZMF Universe pads with my felt tape mod. The end result is the stock sound, slightly weightier lower end, and happy ears. It's been a rather long journey for me, but I'm glad I found a satisfying conclusion.

Could you make picture from the felt Mod? I had the Sundara and the ZMF Ori Pads hope this works

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,466 of 4,255
Hi all, I planning to buy these headphones, but firstly would like to know your opinion about if these any good for instrumental rock music? I listen a lot of post-rock to be specific.
And just to be sure, O2 amp power will be enough to drive Sundata, yes?

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,467 of 4,255
Hi all, I planning to buy these headphones, but firstly would like to know your opinion about if these any good for instrumental rock music? I listen a lot of post-rock to be specific.
And just to be sure, O2 amp power will be enough to drive Sundata, yes?

I listen to a lot of instrumental rock, would say there are a few options in this price range, what are you coming from and what kind of sound are you expecting? :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,468 of 4,255
I would get the LCD 2 Fazor Bamboo Wood Version for the same Price as the Hifiman Sundara. But i read the Hifiman HE 560 would be a better Headphone than the LCD X and the Sundara should be a little bit better sounding than the Hifiman HE560. So should i get the LCD 2 Fazor or the Sundara to get in range of the X without to paying that much?

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,469 of 4,255
Hello fellow Hifiman owners. I am not sure if this question has come up and I searched the thread and couldnt find anything about it. I have an HE400i that, I am sure a lot of you have experienced, has a broken headband. I know that I can go to hifimans website and pay $70 for a new one or $120 for a different one thats stronger and fits the 400i, but that just seems ridiculous to invest that much money into a headphone that you can buy for close to that amount at this point. This headphone was the headphone that began my hifi journey and therefore has nostalgic value. Do any of you know where to get a hifiman headband at a reasonable price? I would really appreciate the help. I have searched the for sale here as well and all of it is incredibly old.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,470 of 4,255
Could you describe the HD 58X vs the Sundara in more detail? I'm interested in getting a pair.

I had both the HD58X and the Sundara recently. I sent the Sundara back to Music Direct because while it's smoother and more refined than the HD58X, I couldn't justify the cost. The HD400i and HD4XX are better all arounders for the money and the HD58X wasn't too bad. The HD58X probably could have been tweaked a bit but I sold them for the HD4XX instead. I agree with one comment further up this thread in that Sundara sounds "ghostly" in a pleasant way but it gets old FAST in a way that is similar to sparkly highs getting old. Sundaras do need the 150hr break-in time but even still, I'd save my money, add another $100 to it, and get in on the next Massdrop HiFiMan Edition XX for $599. I'm in on that drop and will wait till May 31 for delivery. I suspect they'll have another drop prior to this delivery date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back