Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,486 of 4,255
God, now i'm angry. I had purchased them a week ago at full price, and they are didn't even arrived yet.

Send them back immediately and reorder a bit later.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,487 of 4,255
Jan 26, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #1,488 of 4,255
Issue: Left driver stopped working for about 5 minutes. Checked with the 3.5 mm jack in my iPhone and still no sound. Unplugged and plugged back into my amp. Sound came back.

I just bought them locally and can exchange no problem. Any reason NOT to exchange?

Just want to confirm that this isn't good (heard about drivers going in and out and eventually failing altogether--much prefer exchange locally to sending in after the 15 days). Thanks.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,489 of 4,255
Exchange them. My left driver failed like yours and and came back only to fail again. Got it replaced via Hifiman under warranty and subsequently upgraded to Ananda, but if you have a local source that can do an exchange, I would suggest that you do so.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,490 of 4,255
Thanks for the reply. I would go with the Anandas if I could but don’t have a spare grand to put into hobbies atm

For $350 the deal is too good no matter how many I have to exchange to get a good one.

Plus I honestly love the Sundara sound. The coolness compliments the warmth of my 400-i’s beautifully and the detail in the mids is incredible.

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,491 of 4,255
the warmth of my 400-i’s beautifully
What? You think the 400i sounds like a warm headphone? :dizzy_face:

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,492 of 4,255
What? You think the 400i sounds like a warm headphone? :dizzy_face:

Compared to the Sundara it is.

I know overall Hifiman are treble-forward cans (which I like). But the 400-i has an elevation in the lower-mids that adds a lot of warmth to acoustic guitars and male vocals (what I record).

The Sundara sounds cooler with less lower-mid elevation and more upper-mid elevation that sounds great for jazz but can make acoustic guitars sound a tad artificial compared to the 400s. I also think more detail doesn't do much for mid-fi acoustic recordings, so for my Jack Johnson listening, I like the 400s over the Suns. For Coltrane MQA over Tidal, Sundara kills it.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,493 of 4,255
I received my Sundaras a couple days ago. Thank God, everything fine with them. Btw, I wrote to HiFiMan during shipping if I could return them to get one with new price, but they said that there's no need in that, and refund me $150 as I get them and confirm everything is okay. Thumbs up to HiFiMan for understanding and great customer service from me. I think they worth $500, my budget were about as more as $800 and I actually choose them over more priced contenders (LCD2-C, AEON, Elex, DT1990, HD660) during searching forums, reading reviews, etc since unfortunately I cannot listen to them personally. But for $350 is actually become kinda no-brainer for me, since I think it would be hard justify buying others, since most of them now costs nearly 2x price or even more for similar quality-wise performance.

I came from Fidelio X2, these completely broken for now, looking wise they're turned to crap for a while already, headband is also broken, and now sound wise too. so I can't A/B'ing them. But from memory X2's were definitely darker for sure, more forward, more aggressive and Sundara's brighter, offering more detail, technically better I think.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,494 of 4,255
Anyone have since switch any pads for the better?

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,495 of 4,255
IMG_20190129_134642.jpg
IMG_20190129_134606.jpg
IMG_20190129_134636.jpg
IMG_20190129_134538.jpg

Immediately I say - I'm not an audiophile!I do not care where the mosquitoes fart on the record and how many of them are.
Took here
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/coVAU1HO
Or here
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/3ZAkSxq
And just do not understand why such ear cushions do not come with Sundara instead of the original?After all, it sounds much better!The original ones are completely useless - too narrow and rigid!Very strange marketing ploy from HiFiMAN Electronics.
To my ears, after replacing the cushions, the sound became different: the depth appeared, the sub-bass, the music is now better localized - the sense of space and room in which the recording was made has increased.The sound to my ears began to appear more often as holographic.But the flaws of the record have become more noticeable, but it does not bother me too much.
Now, I call the Sundara sound sweet.You can listen to them all day and not feel particularly tired.I must say that I listen to music at a low volume, around nine o'clock - audinst hud dx1 allows you to do this as it has enough power, especially after removing the jumpers.Previously, at a low volume level, the bass almost disappeared, but with the new ear cushions, it is present to a sufficient degree.
And yet I would recommend thicker ear cushions for an even greater sense of localization and opening of the bass.I plan to soon construct a small mod.
I want to say that when buying, Sundara compared them with some top models (Sennheiser HD800S, LCD 2C, he-560, he-1000 v2 (in general, it seemed strange to an amateur), Audio Zenith PMX2 v2 and others. Everythingsounded either squeezed or veiled, or did not have a huge difference especially, given the difference in price (sennheiser HD 800S). For me, Sundara is the most profitable option in all respects.
I apologize in advance for my English, since it is very difficult using Google translate to correctly convey the exact meaning of the original text.Hope for understanding.Peace for everyone.
Dr. Fang Bian!Hear us fans of your products!Change the ear cushions for the better!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,496 of 4,255
Peace for everyone.
Dr. Fang Bian!Hear us fans of your products!Change the ear cushions for the better!
Hi interesting, but I cannot agree completely, I'm also used to listen at low volumes, as you around 9 o' clock but from a Lyr3 where I can grant to the headphone almost 8watt of headroom, and I can clearly her bass response loud and clear. Could your problem be power related? Have you tried a more powerful Amp/Dac?

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,497 of 4,255
Hi interesting, but I cannot agree completely, I'm also used to listen at low volumes, as you around 9 o' clock but from a Lyr3 where I can grant to the headphone almost 8watt of headroom, and I can clearly her bass response loud and clear. Could your problem be power related? Have you tried a more powerful Amp/Dac?
Hi, considering to buy Aune s7.

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #1,498 of 4,255

Immediately I say - I'm not an audiophile!I do not care where the mosquitoes fart on the record and how many of them are.
Took here
Or here
And just do not understand why such ear cushions do not come with Sundara instead of the original?After all, it sounds much better!The original ones are completely useless - too narrow and rigid!Very strange marketing ploy from HiFiMAN Electronics.
To my ears, after replacing the cushions, the sound became different: the depth appeared, the sub-bass, the music is now better localized - the sense of space and room in which the recording was made has increased.The sound to my ears began to appear more often as holographic.But the flaws of the record have become more noticeable, but it does not bother me too much.
Now, I call the Sundara sound sweet.You can listen to them all day and not feel particularly tired.I must say that I listen to music at a low volume, around nine o'clock - audinst hud dx1 allows you to do this as it has enough power, especially after removing the jumpers.Previously, at a low volume level, the bass almost disappeared, but with the new ear cushions, it is present to a sufficient degree.
And yet I would recommend thicker ear cushions for an even greater sense of localization and opening of the bass.I plan to soon construct a small mod.
I want to say that when buying, Sundara compared them with some top models (Sennheiser HD800S, LCD 2C, he-560, he-1000 v2 (in general, it seemed strange to an amateur), Audio Zenith PMX2 v2 and others. Everythingsounded either squeezed or veiled, or did not have a huge difference especially, given the difference in price (sennheiser HD 800S). For me, Sundara is the most profitable option in all respects.
I apologize in advance for my English, since it is very difficult using Google translate to correctly convey the exact meaning of the original text.Hope for understanding.Peace for everyone.

No worries about English. Great recommendation. Getting them for my Suns and my 400-i’s!

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #1,499 of 4,255

Took here
Or here
Thank you for your pad recommendation! Btw we're the pads difficult to take out and replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back