Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,338 of 4,250
My impression:
1.sound is on the bright side of neutral. Treble is sparkling but no sibilance, and much cleaner than 400i. Best matched with a warmish source. If u like warmer sound, the 400s is better, but technically two leagues behind in technicalities.
2.Female vocal shines, while men vocal sounds more trebly if compared to audeze cans or HD650.
3.soundstage is just right, not too big and not small neither, bigger than 400i and more towards HE560.
4.bass is neutral, never the attention grabber. But when called upon, it deliver quality bass.
5.easy to drive, but with an iPhone 6 Plus, the volume need to be maxed.
6.as always, hifiman cans are very transparent.
7.value for money is superb.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,339 of 4,250
Do you guys think it's worth to try out these headphones if I don't want to bother with failing drivers and replacements? I got really excited when I first read about them, half the price of the MrSpeakers Aeon where I live, but the fact that the brand is Hifiman really calmed me down. Did somebody compare them to the Fostex TH-x00, E-MU Teaks or maybe other Fostex variants?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,340 of 4,250
Do you guys think it's worth to try out these headphones if I don't want to bother with failing drivers and replacements? I got really excited when I first read about them, half the price of the MrSpeakers Aeon where I live, but the fact that the brand is Hifiman really calmed me down. Did somebody compare them to the Fostex TH-x00, E-MU Teaks or maybe other Fostex variants?
I think these are worth every penny. These surpass in every category over all the headphones I have tried so far (except for comfort of Sony MA 900's and treble of ad2000x).
I'm getting the idea that they either break early, or they have no problem at all. I would give it a try and return it if they break.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,341 of 4,250

Fostex and EMU are tonally much different, boosted bass, great for EDM, hip hop, rap, etc. Much different than Sundara.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,342 of 4,250
Been listening to these for a week now vs my HD600s, as good as they are, I dont think these will replace my 600s anytime soon. Sundaras are objectively much better headphone, I can hear a lot more detail on these vs sennheisers but what happens is I end up turning volume down all the time till I have to switch to sennheisers and its so relaxing and I end up upping the volume all the time. Its really weird because when switching to HD600s they seem to have more treble than Sundaras but its just not bothering at all.

Big difference is also the speed of the bass impact on Sundaras, its extremely sharp and responsive and it somehow hits your ears really fast cant really explain but it makes them not very relaxed to listen to while on 600s bass kinda gently rolls into your ears.

Sundaras are pretty comfortable to wear after I bent the headband a bit to reduce clamping but, being light weight, sennheisers are much more comfortable.

Really capable headphones but not perfect for my taste.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,343 of 4,250

Have both the Teak and Sundara. The teak has all that slam and rumble that just impresses every time it hits, while the Sundara has enough bass to know that it's there with some impact, but nothing that will make you go "DAMN THAT WAS NUTS" (That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how much of a basshead you are). Sundara also tilts to a brighter sound, without being sibilant. I feel like they compliment each other well and I feel no urge to get rid of either; I got the Sundara after testing the LCD-2, HD 800, and DT 1990.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,344 of 4,250
Have both the Teak and Sundara. The teak has all that slam and rumble that just impresses every time it hits, while the Sundara has enough bass to know that it's there with some impact, but nothing that will make you go "DAMN THAT WAS NUTS" (That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how much of a basshead you are). Sundara also tilts to a brighter sound, without being sibilant. I feel like they compliment each other well and I feel no urge to get rid of either; I got the Sundara after testing the LCD-2, HD 800, and DT 1990.
I have the Teak too and really like them. What do think about the technical differences like soundstage or transparency?

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,345 of 4,250
Just picked a pair of these at the local hifi store, they had a bunch of phones to test, listened my favourite songs through sennheiser 800s, focal utopia, HE1000 and edition x v2, really liked the snappy and fast bass on sundaras compared to others even though these didnt have as low bass as some of the other hifimans.
Which hifiman have lower bass

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,346 of 4,250
I have the Teak too and really like them. What do think about the technical differences like soundstage or transparency?

I feel like the Sundara definitely has the better soundstage and is way faster (instrument separation is better on the Sundara). The teak can sound a bit congested at times when a lot is going on, but it's a lot of fun.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,347 of 4,250
I feel like the Sundara definitely has the better soundstage and is way faster (instrument separation is better on the Sundara). The teak can sound a bit congested at times when a lot is going on, but it's a lot of fun.
Thanks for the comparison. Are you using the stock pads? I had a a Sennheiser HD600 before, my only problem with it was that it didn't have good enough bass extension for my liking, the Sundara seems to have a similarly balanced response but with better bass. It sounds like the Sundara really could be great complimentary headphone to the Teaks but "unfortunately" I decided not to have more than one several hundred dollars headphone at the same time, so for me it's either the Teak or the Sundara.

Also, how storng is the clamping force on the Sundara? Can you sit back or almost lie down with it? I can't do that with my Teaks for sure, and it's a bit annoying.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,348 of 4,250
Thanks for the comparison. Are you using the stock pads? I had a a Sennheiser HD600 before, my only problem with it was that it didn't have good enough bass extension for my liking, the Sundara seems to have a similarly balanced response but with better bass. It sounds like the Sundara really could be great complimentary headphone to the Teaks but "unfortunately" I decided not to have more than one several hundred dollars headphone at the same time, so for me it's either the Teak or the Sundara.

Also, how storng is the clamping force on the Sundara? Can you sit back or almost lie down with it? I can't do that with my Teaks for sure, and it's a bit annoying.

Sundara will is definitely on the bright side compared to the sennheisers. What bass is there responds very well if that's what you were wondering, but as I soon as I switched earlier, I definitely felt the difference right off the bat. And yes, I am using stock pads on both.

Clamping force on the sundara is good enough that it doesn't go anywhere (as opposed to the Teak's looser feel), but I haven't tried lying down my bed, because I only use full sized headphones while I'm at my desktop, otherwise I move on to IEMs. With that said, the Sundara headband is metal, so you can bend it in either direction to get what you want out of it, but I feel like how it has naturally loosened up from daily usage feels perfectly adequate. I will make a note here to say that if you have a weird shaped head that requires the cups to tilt in either direction, you might find discomfort. However, It works perfectly fine for me and, as a point of comparison, my Teak cups only swivel to accommodate the recessed frontal shape of the pads, otherwise they would also be fairly straight.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,349 of 4,250
Been listening to these for a week now vs my HD600s, as good as they are, I dont think these will replace my 600s anytime soon. Sundaras are objectively much better headphone, I can hear a lot more detail on these vs sennheisers but what happens is I end up turning volume down all the time till I have to switch to sennheisers and its so relaxing and I end up upping the volume all the time. Its really weird because when switching to HD600s they seem to have more treble than Sundaras but its just not bothering at all.

Big difference is also the speed of the bass impact on Sundaras, its extremely sharp and responsive and it somehow hits your ears really fast cant really explain but it makes them not very relaxed to listen to while on 600s bass kinda gently rolls into your ears.

Sundaras are pretty comfortable to wear after I bent the headband a bit to reduce clamping but, being light weight, sennheisers are much more comfortable. Also one thing I noticed on Sundaras my right side speaker is around 5% louder than left so I have to adjust channel balance 5% to the left to make it right.

Really capable headphones but not perfect for my taste.
That 5% difference in volume is just weird. I would not expect that on a headphone of this quality. Weird.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,350 of 4,250
Sundara will is definitely on the bright side compared to the sennheisers. What bass is there responds very well if that's what you were wondering, but as I soon as I switched earlier, I definitely felt the difference right off the bat. And yes, I am using stock pads on both.

Clamping force on the sundara is good enough that it doesn't go anywhere (as opposed to the Teak's looser feel), but I haven't tried lying down my bed, because I only use full sized headphones while I'm at my desktop, otherwise I move on to IEMs. With that said, the Sundara headband is metal, so you can bend it in either direction to get what you want out of it, but I feel like how it has naturally loosened up from daily usage feels perfectly adequate. I will make a note here to say that if you have a weird shaped head that requires the cups to tilt in either direction, you might find discomfort. However, It works perfectly fine for me and, as a point of comparison, my Teak cups only swivel to accommodate the recessed frontal shape of the pads, otherwise they would also be fairly straight.
A last question: which is brighter or has more treble, the Teak or the Sundara? When I compared the Teak and the HD600 I tought the Teak had more treble, but I didn't find it piercing at all, I think it actually has a pretty relaxing sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back