Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,351 of 4,255
That 5% difference in volume is just weird. I would not expect that on a headphone of this quality. Weird.

I had a similar driver imbalance with my first pair, was driving me nuts, but the store replaced them and now the 2nd pair is perfect.

Enjoying my Sundara a lot, but want to go even higher in terms of resolution. Not sure whether to wait for Ananda or keep on saving for Utopia+Hugo 2.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,352 of 4,255
A last question: which is brighter or has more treble, the Teak or the Sundara? When I compared the Teak and the HD600 I tought the Teak had more treble, but I didn't find it piercing at all, I think it actually has a pretty relaxing sound signature.

Sundara is definitely the brighter of the two, by a fair amount I'd say. The sundara is a bright set, but never sibilant IMHO. Just enough to get that sparkle out of music.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,354 of 4,255
I had a similar driver imbalance with my first pair, was driving me nuts, but the store replaced them and now the 2nd pair is perfect.

Enjoying my Sundara a lot, but want to go even higher in terms of resolution. Not sure whether to wait for Ananda or keep on saving for Utopia+Hugo 2.
Actually rotated my headphones the other way around and right side is still louder on bass, Its either my ears are busted or Im going mental haha. I cant notice this with other headphones though, think Im losing it...

Or maybe my head is not perfectly symmetrical and the seal is different right vs left with these phones.

e. definitely a fitment issue on my head, nothing with the headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,355 of 4,255
Just noticed a rattle sound in the right earcup. It happens with deep punchy songs when there is plenty of punchy bass and no other instruments present to mask it. It rattles with each punch. Not a happy camper at all
Try blowing some air through the drivers. You don't have to disassemble anything. That did it for me. I think it may have something to do with lose hair resonating with the driver.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,356 of 4,255
First time posting to this thread. I'm giving the HiFiMan Sundara a go for a few days with the Lyr 3 / Mimby. (Normal headphone is the ZMF Eikon.) Someone loaned them to me, so they'll be going back at the end of the week.

Initial impressions:
It lacks sub-bass. It's not terrible, but EDM fans are going to be disappointed. Even rolling in some different tubes (like the KenRad VT231 black plate / clear glass) doesn't really help this much. I don't use EQ much, if ever, so I can't comment on how it responds to that.

There is a detail veil to this, and a slight treble etch. Similar to the HD650 veil on a bad audio chain, but this one isn't getting better going to better gear. (Lyr 3/Mimby to BW2/Gumby.) In short - it lacks on micro-detail quite a bit. For example, no matter what tube I used in the Lyr, I couldn't get these headphones to bring across the hum of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Marshall stack on his track "Tin Pan Alley". It gives such character to the song, and it's just missing on these headphones. It is readily presented on the ZMF Eikon. Another track where detail is glossed over is Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem". If I recall correctly, the entire band and Rebecca recorded that track together in the same room in the studio. You can hear the bass player lift the upright bass and reposition it in the recording, as it makes a distinct 'clack' early on in the track. Right before the drummer starts playing, you can hear him pick up his sticks. None of this was audible on the Sundara. D- to the Sundara on detail retrieval. It would be a complete F were it not for cymbals being fairly close to natural sounding with a adequate amount of decay.

Imaging is rather hazy and indistinct. Staging is 2 dimensional. It presents a very in-your-head, blob like stage.

The ear pads are uncomfortable. I'm bald, and find them hot and itchy after several hours. They are also too small. I have to shoehorn the top and back of my earlobes into the ear holes. This is a personal pet peeve of mine - I don't like it when pads touch the ears.

The stock cable is utter crap. It feels like two of the smallest headphone wires ever used to connect a transducer were sleeved in some flimsy fish tank tubing. It is rubbery, and springy, and while it doesn't resist bending much, it loves to spring back into a straight line. It also gets to the point where it stops bending, and it just kinks. It's just awkward. Add to that the 90 degree 3.5mm TRS plug on the amp end and you have one of the worst cables I've ever come across from an OEM. Re-read that . I said 3.5mm... as in, the little plug, not the standard 1/4" TRS plug. These are open back planars. Who would be dumb enough (other than Raif at InnerFidelity) to take these on the go?! I've met some bad cables before, but this HFM cable makes them look like top end Nordost cables. It is that bad. To my knowledge, HFM didn't even have the decency to include a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter, as I had to use my own.

On the other side of the coin... They are light. The headband is fairly comfortable. They seem better built than other HFM headphones I've tried. (HEX, HEKv2, HE6, etc.) By that I mean: It doesn't feel like I'm holding a 3000 year old historical artifact that is sure to crumble to dust at any moment, and if it does I know I can't afford to replace it.

Other than the lack of sub-bass, tonally, this is a good sounding headphone. Something in the lower to middle-mids do sound a wee bit recessed, but the rest of the FR seems nicely done. Treble is clear. I've not had a sibilance issue, even using brighter tubes. Cymbals sound decent, as stated above. Vocals seem well placed in the FR - neither over emphasized nor recessed. I can see quite a few people really enjoying how these sound.

In short - Treble heads and bass heads need not apply. They're kind of a different flavor on the HD650 in some ways. The Sundara will have a slight edge in treble extension, but they don't scale very well with better sources like the HD650. I feel the HD650 has more mid-bass impact. The HD650 does mids better. HD650 does detail retrieval better too.

VS the Eikons, the Sundara are very much not good.

Enjoy.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,358 of 4,255
Cheers for that mate, all sorted now, must have been something caught inside. Happy Camper again:slight_smile:
Wow, I seriously doubted it would work just like that.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,361 of 4,255
Been listening to these for a week now vs my HD600s, as good as they are, I dont think these will replace my 600s anytime soon. Sundaras are objectively much better headphone, I can hear a lot more detail on these vs sennheisers but what happens is I end up turning volume down all the time till I have to switch to sennheisers and its so relaxing and I end up upping the volume all the time. Its really weird because when switching to HD600s they seem to have more treble than Sundaras but its just not bothering at all.

Big difference is also the speed of the bass impact on Sundaras, its extremely sharp and responsive and it somehow hits your ears really fast cant really explain but it makes them not very relaxed to listen to while on 600s bass kinda gently rolls into your ears.

Sundaras are pretty comfortable to wear after I bent the headband a bit to reduce clamping but, being light weight, sennheisers are much more comfortable. Also one thing I noticed on Sundaras my right side speaker is around 5% louder than left so I have to adjust channel balance 5% to the left to make it right.

Really capable headphones but not perfect for my taste.
I find the Sundara best matched with a warm source

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,362 of 4,255
I find the Sundara best matched with a warm source
I like them with R2R dacs. Not warmer but more analog but at the same time, doesn't sacrifice any of the Sundara's detail.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,363 of 4,255
This isn't directly related to the Sundara, but I will soon be posting more comparison vids like this for different audio stuff as well as for headphones. It's not a perfect way to compare products, but it's at least some point of reference to give you an idea of how things compare relative to each other. I've got the Ananda in for review as well as the Sundara and 400S to make some comparison recordings.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,365 of 4,255
Amazon has them right now for $469. Search for "hifiman", then the third Sundara you hit has the sale price. FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back