Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #782 of 4,255
They look good but the low budget cables I've bought off Ebay have all sounded pretty terrible.....you could get lucky I suppose.
Why do you think these would sound better than the stock cables?

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #783 of 4,255
I mostly want a balanced cable, I might pick a more expensive one if I can find one in the right budget, but these things either seem 'cheap' or stupid dollar, I've not found much middle ground.

My main beef with the stock cable is that it's not really flexible and likes to roll back up.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #784 of 4,255
Fair enough.
It's difficult to justify spending big $'s on cables for 'budget' headphones - I faced the same issue with my HD600's.
If I was to buy a Sundara to play with I'd probably make up some 3.5mm TRS to female Lemo adapters so I could use my Utopia Heimdall cable. Obviously this is only practical because I already own the Heimdall - even then, the Lemo connectors cost more than the cable you're looking at.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #785 of 4,255
Not directly related to the Sundara, but here's my review vid on the new HD 660 S. In it I do mention that I feel that the Sundara is a better value and subjectively better sounding product compared to the 660 S and 650

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #786 of 4,255
I can't wait for your comparison to the Sony Z7 once your burn them in. But right out of the box, can you tell us in which areas you find them superior to the Sony and whether you consider them to be a complementary headphone and why?

What matters the most to know:

1) Bass quantity and sub-bass extension.
2) Are they more transparent and airy?

Thank you sir.

I'd rather not jump to conclusions, however the Sundaras do seem more transparent than my dynamic cans. Bigger soundstage and better imaging, however they don't so much leak sound as broadcast it.

A verdict on bass quantity etc may have to wait, but the planars aren't bass light. I had feared they'd be a bit aneamic, but I'm not missing the mid mass hump so far.

Had feared they may be too bright for my taste too, but so far so good.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #788 of 4,255
Guys, I reckon that there is something very special about the Sundara and that they really do live up to the hype and I reckon that the big players will have to up their game bigtime to catch up on them especially for their price range.

I reckon that they blow the Beyer's T1.2, DT1990 and AKG K812 into the weeds for pure musical enjoyment and a natural sound that is effortless, smooth and non fatiguing (silky smooth).

It is so versatile and relatively easy to drive.

My only disappointment is the comfort issue but it is improving slightly day by day.

But do I really need them?!

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #789 of 4,255
Guys, I reckon that there is something very special about the Sundara and that they really do live up to the hype and I reckon that the big players will have to up their game bigtime to catch up on them especially for their price range.

I reckon that they blow the Beyer's T1.2, DT1990 and AKG K812 into the weeds for pure musical enjoyment and a natural sound that is effortless, smooth and non fatiguing (silky smooth).

It is so versatile and relatively easy to drive.

My only disappointment is the comfort issue but it is improving slightly day by day.

But do I really need them?!

What do you mean do you need them? What headphones do you have that they were supposed to replace? Just curious.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #790 of 4,255
Anyone know how the Sundara compares to the DT1990?

+1 on this comparison. Can anyone comment?

On the mids recessed or not, if a consensus can't be reached, it may depend on chain, material or personnel perception, essentially I'm interpreting the mids must be pretty close to neutral, maybe a slight recessed tilt but close. I've read the entire thread and I think I recall maybe a couple people sayin the mids were forward if that but not drastic in a sense.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #791 of 4,255
What do you mean do you need them? What headphones do you have that they were supposed to replace? Just curious.

I have a pair of Fidelio X2 that I got for £129 on Amazon UK, I reckon that I have the HR version (long story) that is a little better than the HD version and I find them very good and it is difficult to justify not using them anymore.

I already have several headphones that I no longer use and am not really wishing to add any more redundant gear to it! :darthsmile:

So at £450 the Sundara is heading for nearly 3.5 times the price of the X2.

A word of caution guys, don't buy the Sundara out of curiosity unless you know that you are very-very likely going to keep it.

Guys, what is the next step up from the Sundara that justifies the price?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #793 of 4,255
+1 on this comparison. Can anyone comment?

On the mids recessed or not, if a consensus can't be reached, it may depend on chain, material or personnel perception, essentially I'm interpreting the mids must be pretty close to neutral, maybe a slight recessed tilt but close. I've read the entire thread and I think I recall maybe a couple people sayin the mids were forward if that but not drastic in a sense.

I will take a stab at answering your question (as well as the previous guys question) hopefully others will join in as well.

I find the Beyer T1.2 to be a little cold, clinical and sterile, the same with the AKG K812 but I overall preferred the DT1990 but it too had some of the same traits.

I found the DT1990 a little forced and the mids not as musical or as mid forward as I would have liked, it could also have a bit of a rough edge to the sound.

The Sundara to me is so much more musical and has good expressive mids that are not in your face, I would describe them as neutral but slightly warm (in a good musical way) and has an airy (almost floating) soundstage that is addictive when you have heard it, I never felt that way about the DT1990 even though I did like it (but never loved it).

I reckon that the vast majority of people will be more than happy with the mids (especially for the price) or am I wrong?

Oops wrong gif! :smile_phones:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #794 of 4,255
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #795 of 4,255
That cable will be no better than the stock cable. I'd only get it if you need a 9ft instead of the stock 5ft.
Hey, thanks for your response.

Why would it be no better? Is Crystallized Copper (Sundara) better than Oxygen Free Copper (9ft cable from amazon)?

If so how much better? is it a significant amount of difference in quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back