Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,396 of 4,250
I just listened to this song with my SHP9500's with Shure 1540 alcantara pads, Dragonfly V1.2 - 0 sharpness or brittleness, not a poorly recorded song at all, sounds amazing to me, and thank you... because I just added it to my spotify female vocals playlist
I asked another head-fier to take a listen with his ER4XRs and he says it sounds overly processed. Then another with a random iem also said it sounded bad.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,397 of 4,250
I asked another head-fier to take a listen with his ER4XRs and he says it sounds overly processed. Then another with a random iem also said it sounded bad.

on spotify premium with high quality streaming checked and normalize volume turned off? i think it sounded fantastic on my setup. it could also be i just have lower standards than the rest of you lol, but i am pretty sure i know what bright sounds like because songs like Rhianna - Sledgehammer sound overly bright to me about 1 minute in.

2ec8e973ec.png

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,399 of 4,250
Im really starting to warm up to the sound of these now a few weeks in, really enjoying the sessions and they are super comfortable for long periods. But to my taste they are maybe too revealing sometimes, you can hear crappy records often and also sometimes they have slightly too much treble for me but it depends on recording. Also they lack sub bass, kinda thinking I either get schiit loki and try to change them or just get lcd2 classics which are supposed to be more relaxed with better bass, dunno which way to go.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,400 of 4,250
My 2 cents -- Go with the Loki. It is far cheaper than LCD2 and will likely get you where you need. I have Loki and Sundara and a tweak increasing gain on the 20Hz dial to punch up the bottom-end a bit and the occasional a tweak to reduce the 8KHz dial to tame the top-end (depends on the recording) and it does nicely. Plus the 15-day return policy will allow you to see if Loki does what you need before spending $$$ on LCD2s.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,401 of 4,250
My 2 cents -- Go with the Loki. It is far cheaper than LCD2 and will likely get you where you need. I have Loki and Sundara and a tweak increasing gain on the 20Hz dial to punch up the bottom-end a bit and the occasional a tweak to reduce the 8KHz dial to tame the top-end (depends on the recording) and it does nicely. Plus the 15-day return policy will allow you to see if Loki does what you need before spending $$$ on LCD2s.

This, so much this.
My setup is:
Modi 2
|
Loki
|
Magni 3
|
Sundara

Don't think I'll need anything else for years to come. The bumb in the 20Hz with the Loki is exactly what Sundara needs.

Question: What is your Loki's 20Hz position?

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,402 of 4,250
I'm really quite happy with the neutral sound of Sundara, so my adjustment is rather minor. The 2 o'clock position on the 20Hz dial is just right for me. I keep all other settings at 12 o'clock and tweak the 8KHz down a tiny bit just for poorly mastered recordings where HFs are too harsh.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,406 of 4,250

This, so much this.
My setup is:
Modi 2
|
Loki
|
Magni 3
|
Sundara

Don't think I'll need anything else for years to come. The bumb in the 20Hz with the Loki is exactly what Sundara needs.

Question: What is your Loki's 20Hz position?

Hi guys, i'm very noob at headphones frequences tunes, but i'm thinking... can i use this "trick" (Loki) to improve the bass of the HE-400S for example ?

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,407 of 4,250
Also have the HE400S and I can unequivocally state -- YES!! You absolutely can improve their bass with Loki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back