Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 6, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #586 of 4,255
Please continue! A different perspective here is refreshing!
From my perspective the mids on Sundara are slightly forward especially as compared to the HD-650 which I own . I do agree with Tyll that they are slightly on the bright side of neutral . To my ear they are better than the HD-650 at everything. The folks on this thread recently seem to have lost the fact that the reproduction of recorded music is more of an art than a science . No matter What you buy it has to be pleasing and Musical to your ears . There is no such thing as the perfect headphone because perfection is in the ear of the listener . When this ceases being fun one should find another pastime.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #587 of 4,255
From my perspective the mids on Sundara are slightly forward especially as compared to the HD-650 which I own . I do agree with Tyll that they are slightly on the bright side of neutral . To my ear they are better than the HD-650 at everything. The folks on this thread recently seem to have lost the fact that the reproduction of recorded music is more of an art than a science . No matter What you buy it has to be pleasing and Musical to your ears . There is no such thing as the perfect headphone because perfection is in the ear of the listener . When this ceases being fun one should find another pastime.

Have you heard the 800S? If so, how would you rank the Sundara’s brightness against it? I haven’t heard the 650 in years :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #591 of 4,255
Y'all have to realize he's very biased and clearly prefers a diffuse-field curve type sound signature. Relative to today's headphone market and general public's taste, his impressions will not line up very well at all. But they're also just as valid as anyone else's opinions, because that's exactly what it is; an opinion.

To my ears, the Sundara seemed like a slightly cooler than neutral, slightly v-shaped response. Very open and airy sounding with a nicely large soundstage. Vocals seemed a bit recessed/distant. Sounded crisp and detail was good for the price. Pretty much polar opposites to HD650.

Now that I think about it, it kind of reminded me of HD800. Imagine if the HD800 took a few steps back from the bright/analytical sound signature, creating a slightly meatier tone (but still thin-ish and bright in absolute terms), and lost a bunch in technicalities, but gained in a slightly funner experience overall. That's how I'd describe the Sundara.

I much prefer the Edition X v2 / HE1000 v2. They have a more organic, richer and more upfront tone in the mids, while retaining the stunning Hifiman soundstage and larger-than-life sound image.

For the record, my impressions line up much closer to Tyll's than the impressions going on this thread lately.

I pretty much agree with your impressions, especially about your comparisons to hd800s.

To add a few things, Sundara was hard to be categorized either as warm or bright to my ears. I felt Sundara was slightly warm because of slightly elevated mid-bass responses. Also, I felt it was slightly dark because of recessed or laid-back presence regions. On the other hand, I felt Sundara was slightly bright because there were bright regions somewhere around 5-7k.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #592 of 4,255
My Sundara just came in...first impression: perfect - exactly the sound I was looking for. I've only listened for a couple of hours on the Sundara and it has had no burn-in, but the following are my quick reflections:

My comparison to HE-560:
  • Treble is noticeably less than the HE-560: I think the treble on Ed Sheeren's Thinking Out Loud is perfect on the Sundara but is too bright on the HE 560
  • Mids seem slightly more recessed on the Sundara - could that have something to do with it being less bright?
  • Bass extension is on par with the HE-560 but bass volume seems slightly less: on Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana you can feel the low frequency reverberation from 0:05 to 0:12 on both Sundara and HE-560, but slightly stronger on the HE-560
  • Overall, I think the Sundara has a flatter, more balanced sound signature and I prefer that; however, if you liked the HE-560's brightness, you may find the Sundara too warm

My comparison to the HD 6XX:
  • The Sundara is airier and has bigger sound stage: listening to Ed Sheeren's I See Fire on the Sundara you can hear the soundstage expand at 3:58 but the same transition is underwhelming on the HD 6XX
  • The Sundara is more detailed than the HD 6XX: listening to Eric Clatpton's Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton - Unplugged), you can hear the difference in each and every pluck of the guitar strings with the Sundara...not so much with the HD 6XX
  • And of course, the Sundara has much more extended bass
  • Overall, I think the Sundara beats the HD 6XX in every category

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #593 of 4,255
My Sundara just came in...first impression: perfect - exactly the sound I was looking for. I've only listened for a couple of hours on the Sundara and it has had no burn-in, but the following are my quick reflections:

My comparison to HE-560:
  • Treble is noticeably less than the HE-560: I think the treble on Ed Sheeren's Thinking Out Loud is perfect on the Sundara but is too bright on the HE 560
  • Mids seem slightly more recessed on the Sundara - could that have something to do with it being less bright?
  • Bass extension is on par with the HE-560 but bass volume seems slightly less: on Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana you can feel the low frequency reverberation from 0:05 to 0:12 on both Sundara and HE-560, but slightly stronger on the HE-560
  • Overall, I think the Sundara has a flatter, more balanced sound signature and I prefer that; however, if you liked the HE-560's brightness, you may find the Sundara too warm

My comparison to the HD 6XX:
  • The Sundara is airier and has bigger sound stage: listening to Ed Sheeren's I See Fire on the Sundara you can hear the soundstage expand at 3:58 but the same transition is underwhelming on the HD 6XX
  • The Sundara is more detailed than the HD 6XX: listening to Eric Clatpton's Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton - Unplugged), you can hear the difference in each and every pluck of the guitar strings with the Sundara...not so much with the HD 6XX
  • And of course, the Sundara has much more extended bass
  • Overall, I think the Sundara beats the HD 6XX in every category
I like the sound of treble being less than the HE-560(as long as it's not too much less), and I'm thinking you mean around 7k. I don't like the sound of Mids being slightly more recessed than the HE-560. HE-560 sounds like upper-mids are a tad shallow, and combination with around 7k sparkle, throws off the upper frequencies balance a bit, although overall a good performing headphone for articulation. By mids sounding recessed, meaning the whole mids that provides body? Which part? Upper mids? I like the sound of it being comparatively warmer than HE-560 as I Know how HE-560 sounds like. If this is the case, I may not perceive it being cooler side of neutral, but the opposite.

If HD6xx is like HD650, I think the treble rolls slightly downward as its going to toward 10k.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #595 of 4,255
As they say on interwebs... pics or it didn't happen.

Your opinions are so wildly divergent on the Sundara compared to others, that I simply do not believe that you have heard, let alone own, all these other HiFiMan cans. So, post a pic and make me look like a jerk. Until then, I cannot take anything you say seriously and feel that you are just diluting the SNR of this thread.

I'm in the middle of moving :frowning2:
But i'll ask the ladies if they'd like to model for you :wink:
stand by.....

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #596 of 4,255
.... I simply do not believe that you have heard, let alone own, all these other HiFiMan cans. So, post a pic and make me look like a jerk.....

I am in the middle of moving and haven't unpacked everything.
But here are a few pics:

20180309_142345.jpg

20180309_142404.jpg

20180309_142444.jpg

20180309_142525.jpg

amp.jpg

Audeze LCD XC:

Audeze LCD XD.jpg

Audeze LCD XD clse up.jpg

Audeze LCD XD driver back.jpg

Audeze LCD XD+my thumb.jpg

Audeze LCD-3:

Audeze LCD-3.jpg

Audeze LCD-3 clse-up.jpg

Audeze LCD-3 driver clse-up.jpg

Audeze LCD-3 +my finger.jpg

Sennheiser HD800 S:

Sennheiser HD800 S.jpg

Sennheiser HD800 S clse up.jpg

Sennheiser HD800 S driver.jpg

Sennheiser HD800 S + my thumb.jpg

Sundara:
Sundara.jpg

Sundara clse up.jpg

Sundara + my thumb.jpg

HE-1000V2:
He1000v2.jpg

He1000v2_clse-up.jpg

He1000v2+my finger.jpg

Sundara with reference Amp:

Sundara w ref amp.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #597 of 4,255
So from what I understand in this thread it is safe to say that Sundara is not an airy-transparent headphone unlike the HD600 for instance but rather dark and withdrawn in its presentation similar to the HD650?

It is ariy. but on a darker scale.
HD800 and 800 S sound much more detailed, cooler and in all, a little boring compared to Sundara

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #598 of 4,255
Now that I think about it, it kind of reminded me of HD800. Imagine if the HD800 took a few steps back from the bright/analytical sound signature, creating a slightly meatier tone (but still thin-ish and bright in absolute terms), and lost a bunch in technicalities, but gained in a slightly funner experience overall. That's how I'd describe the Sundara.

This is a pretty accurate description.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #600 of 4,255
Wait a minute....So now they are brighter than neutral?? Ok...Don't tell me these sound colder than the HD600 too!

Anything colder than that = Not my cup of tea.

This thread is a mess. I'm going to wait for some time before I make my decision.

They are much warmer sounding than HD800 S which is more balanced, warmer and less bright than HD800.
These are just opinions. You have to make your own decisions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back