Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 13, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,876 of 4,255
Very good review ! I can take what you have written and pretty much use it to determine whether or not I would want to own this headphone.
I really like how you described the soundstage, I wish more people would use something like this, thanks !
The soundstage is average for an open headphone but spoiled by HD800 it is not fair to say they have a narrow soundstage, I’d say as much as they are neutral in sound signature, they are in the soundstage, not very wide but also not narrow. To put it in perspective; if an average closed-back studio monitoring headphones are 1 in soundstage and HD800 is a 10 then these are a 7.

May 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,877 of 4,255
I just don't want to be tied down to one spot so I'm considering the Xduoo XD-05. Does anyone know how well the XD-05 works with the Sundara (especially with the Burson V5i amp upgrade)?
I've heard a few more op-amps since my V5i review and personally I'd recommend the OPA 2107ap over the V5i for the Sundaras. It's faster and more accurate sound accentuates the dynamics of the Sundara rather than smoothing things out like the V5i which sorta masks the speed and impact of the Sundaras somewhat.

May 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,878 of 4,255
Guys how is build quality on these nowadays? i heard dreadful things about HIFIMAN QC
Thinking of importing a pair of them, but if i have to send them back it will be quite troublesome..

Are the drivers still failing?
how about the leather on the ear pad, do it still come off with time?
any problems with the screws coming off like i heard on a couple HE4XX reviews?

they are quite inviting for 350 U$, especially after everything i heard about their sound.. though i am very hesitant because i can get a used DT1990 for 400ish U$ and they look to have way better build quality..

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,879 of 4,255
I've heard a few more op-amps since my V5i review and personally I'd recommend the OPA 2107ap over the V5i for the Sundaras. It's faster and more accurate sound accentuates the dynamics of the Sundara rather than smoothing things out like the V5i which sorta masks the speed and impact of the Sundaras somewhat.

Do you have a link?

May 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,880 of 4,255
Guys how is build quality on these nowadays? i heard dreadful things about HIFIMAN QC
Thinking of importing a pair of them, but if i have to send them back it will be quite troublesome..

they are quite inviting for 350 U$, especially after everything i heard about their sound.. though i am very hesitant because i can get a used DT1990 for 400ish U$ and they look to have way better build quality..
Absolute no-brainer for $350 IMO. I have heard the DT1990 and I liked it a lot but haven't had a chance to listen to them side by side.

May 14, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,883 of 4,255
How do they compare with the $299, Acoustic Research AR-H1 ?
I've compared the two before when I was considering a planar headphone though it's obvious what I went for in the end :wink:

The AR-H1 had unnatural mids with the default pads. It was like they were too forward. A pad change is a necessity on the H1.

After changing to thicker protein leather pads, they were a lot nicer to listen to, kinda like an middle ground between the LCD-2C and the Sundara.

Compared to the Sundara it has a fatter sounding bass, though not bloated like on the LCD-2Cs. It's more midbass heavy rather than being more Sub-bass focused and rumbly like on the Sundara.

It's less "fast" sounding than the Sundara instead giving a more relaxed rather than dynamic presentation. Soundstage wise the Sundara wins hands down being a lot more airier and more spacious.

May 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #1,884 of 4,255
May 14, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,886 of 4,255
May 14, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #1,887 of 4,255

Hi there,

Thank you for your interests in HIFIMAN. The issues you mentioned had been fixed. If you purchase the headphones from our official store or authorized dealer, we will be at your service when you need any help.

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 14, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #1,888 of 4,255
Your impressions are quite different from mine lol. Could it be that the one I demoed was a dud?
I've no idea. I own the H1 so am able to compare them side by side. Could it be that you're memory is fallible? I still have the stock pads on mine btw.

May 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,889 of 4,255
I've no idea. I own the H1 so am able to compare them side by side. Could it be that you're memory is fallible? I still have the stock pads on mine btw.
Yeah, that could be the case but I distinctly chose the Sundaras over the H1 because the Sundaras sounded more revealing, spacious and more realistic overall.

May 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,890 of 4,255
Yeah, that could be the case but I distinctly chose the Sundaras over the H1 because the Sundaras sounded more revealing, spacious and more realistic overall.
I agree that the Sundara sounds more natural and realistic. The H1's boosted upper mids and treble increase detail but at the same time compromise the tonal accuracy. Side by side the Sundara sounds so much better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back