Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 14, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,891 of 4,255
I agree that the Sundara sounds more natural and realistic. The H1's boosted upper mids and treble increase detail but at the same time compromise the tonal accuracy. Side by side the Sundara sounds so much better IMO.
That may be "fake detail" due to the boosted mids and treble though. Similar to the HD800. That's why i only use soundtracks for testing detail to avoid getting tricked.

A lot of people get tricked by the fake detail thing though, even experienced reviewers. The worst example in recent memory was the JVC HA FW 10000. On normal songs it seems to sound very detailed and effortless but on soundtracks the treble unnaturalness is glaring.

May 15, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #1,892 of 4,255
Hi there,

Thank you for your interests in HIFIMAN. The issues you mentioned had been fixed. If you purchase the headphones from our official store or authorized dealer, we will be at your service when you need any help.

April

That is quite attracting! has there also been any changes to the connectors, the one that connect the drivers to the cable? saw a couple of posts about one of them failing somehow..

not sure if i am allowed to post e-bay links, are the ones sold on https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-SU...ophile-Headphone-Home-and-Studio/254143269726 the latest batch?

May 15, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #1,893 of 4,255
That is quite attracting! has there also been any changes to the connectors, the one that connect the drivers to the cable? saw a couple of posts about one of them failing somehow..

not sure if i am allowed to post e-bay links, are the ones sold on https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-SU...ophile-Headphone-Home-and-Studio/254143269726 the latest batch?
Hi there,

I never heard about the connector issue before, but you will have one year warranty for the headphones so just feel free to contact us if there are any problems.

Yes the Sundara we are selling on eBay are the latest batch.

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 15, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #1,894 of 4,255
Guys, I just found some more reviews on Sundara in the Internet and it really gets me curious. Some of them keeps mention Sundara is not quite suitable for heavy rock/metal, which my main genres. I totally happy with them, but I haven't much of headphones to compare Sundara with in the first place. Can you suggest headphones, which you consider better choice for such genres for similar upper-mid price bracket (up to $700-800 I guess) or if there are metalheads happy with Sundara, your opinions are also welcome.

May 15, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #1,895 of 4,255
Guys, I just found some more reviews on Sundara in the Internet and it really gets me curious. Some of them keeps mention Sundara is not quite suitable for heavy rock/metal, which my main genres. I totally happy with them, but I haven't much of headphones to compare Sundara with in the first place. Can you suggest headphones, which you consider better choice for such genres for similar upper-mid price bracket (up to $700-800 I guess) or if there are metalheads happy with Sundara, your opinions are also welcome.
Does Linkin Park count? I did notice some tracks with a lot of cymbal crashes to sound piercing at times at loud volumes. But that is me listening at volumes close to the threshold of pain. Lower down the volume and it should be fine.

Generally I wouldn't recommend brighter gear for metal

May 15, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #1,896 of 4,255
Does Linkin Park count? I did notice some tracks with a lot of cymbal crashes to sound piercing at times at loud volumes. But that is me listening at volumes close to the threshold of pain. Lower down the volume and it should be fine.

Generally I wouldn't recommend brighter gear for metal
I mean something this

May 15, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,897 of 4,255
I mean something this
Just tested it, sounds awesome. The rumble on the 2nd track and the soundstage on the way 3rd track were :ok_hand:. Its a bit drier sounding though, mostly on the 3rd track.

May 15, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,898 of 4,255

Sundara sounds amazing with heavy rock and metal. These headphones make distortion from electric guitars come alive. And the way drums hit is fantastic.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,899 of 4,255
What is your opinion after trying the Hifiman Sundara compared to the Fidelio x2?

I have received my Sundara and I can give you some impressions. I don’t believe too much in burn-in and so I have listened to Sundara right out of the box with my Mojo. Keep in mind that I LOVE the comfort, large sound, warmth, smoothness and musicality of my Fidelio X2 + Mojo combo. My listening genre is mainly rock, pop, soul.

What to say? Well I’m quite surprise... in a good sense! I was expecting something with a lean and rather bright sound with moderate bass, to say a boring sound : how wrong I was! What I heard was a clean and clear sound (don’t understand lean and bright) proposed with AUTHORITY and control : the planar sound?

Voices are really beautiful (more realist than Fidelio X2) not too forward (like my previous Kennerton Vali) not too distant (like my previous Amiron Home). Guitars, accoustic and electric, are impressive of realism. Mids bass can slame with authority, their quality is quite high (better than Fidelio X2) : drums are engaging and have a very high quality. Sub bass have moderate impact (Fidelio X2 is much more impressive). I’m not worried about treble, they are not aggressive (I’m treble sensitive).

Soundstage height is impressive (much better than Fidelio X2), its quite obvious when listening to well recorded live songs for example. Soundstage width is rather large but maybe less than Fidelio X2. Soundstage depth is moderate (better again than Fidelio X2). Instruments separation is very good. Sound is not in your face (like the Kennerton Vali). All of these contribute to the large soundstage effect : you have the impressions to be in a tall hall when listening to music.

Sundara has great technical qualities, much better than Fidelio X2, however it stays musical, a strong point of the Fidelio X2, and it contributes I think to a rich and melodic sound that is addictive (planar sound again?). My previous Amiron had also nice technical qualities but because of recessed mids was boring during long listening sessions. More than neutral, Sundara sound is natural : the words that come to my mind are realism, authority and spaciousness.

Build quality seems nice, Sundara is very cute, much smaller than Fidelio X2, materials used are nice : Sundara however seems more ´frail’ than Fidelio X2 which is sturdy like a tank. No cracking sound when adjusting the yoke, however adjusting the right cup is much harder than the left cup : for me it is a build assembly issue. The cable : for sure I have seen more ergonomic, I would have preferred a lighter cable like the one of the Fidelio X2 (even if this one is too long, nothing is perfect). Maybe I’ll replace the cable by the Beyer T5p textured cable : more friendly and not bling bling.

Comfort is very good (I have BIG ears, however they don’t feel compressed inside of the pads). Sundara feels lighter than Fidelio X2. Clamping force maybe is bigger than Fidelio X2. Sundara comfort is nearly on par with Fidelio X2.

When connecting the cable to the cups you need to push a bit and you have to hear a firm click, otherwise no sound : that is what I had the first time and, because of the QC issues I read on the forums, I thought to a driver failure!

Pairing with Mojo is great, nice musicality, plenty of power, dynamism and control : I feel its in line with what I have read from Headfonia and Georges Dobrescu.

Certainly I have to make a bit of burn-in if I believed what has been written by fellow reviewers (Georges, Headfonics, SilverEars) : quite happy to think that sound can be better!

At 350 EUR I’m more than happy with Sundara : its technicality and musicality give an addictive sound, my first planar experience is successful. Sundara is a very good alternative to my beloved Fidelio X2. I have looked at Hifiman since years but now I’ll be more than receptive, their house sound is a success.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,900 of 4,255
My Sundara arrived today and from the Sundara loaner program that they've arranged. It's now mine for 2 weeks. Really excited to try them out. These are my initial impressions.

Out of the box i actually really like the clean look. The materials seems sturdy and it doesn't look like something that's going to break anytime soon.
To adjust the headband, you need to use a bit of force and i was a bit afraid to break something. After getting it adjusted right, it's really nice on your head, and even though i've only had them on for an hour, i would say that they are comfortable enough for any amount of time.

In this small hour i've listed to rock, classical, jazz and alternative rock. I'm used to closed back dynamic headphones since i have the audioquest nightowls.
The sundaras have a lot of detail and listening to a piano concerto i realised that until now, i didn't know what a piano was supposed to sound like in a headphone. It was a real pleasure.
The sound is not as fun and thick as my Nightowls, but that is to be expected, since they are open back and the nightowls are closed back.

In general I'm very positive and excited to use them A LOT in the next couples of week. I'm already thinking that since they have ruined piano music on my other headphones i have to buy them afterwards.

Thanks to Hifiman for providing this loaner unit. In a couple of weeks i will give a more detailed review of them.

May 17, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,901 of 4,255
Has someone tried the Beyer Amiron case for Sundara ? Does it fit Sundara ?

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,902 of 4,255
For those who want to try Sundara with well recorded live songs, here is a french singer Raphael, its album « Raphael Live » : « Modern love » song from Bowie, « Caravane » and « Shengen ».

Also « Love of my life », Queen, Live at Wembley stadium, impressive.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,903 of 4,255
That may be "fake detail" due to the boosted mids and treble though. Similar to the HD800. That's why i only use soundtracks for testing detail to avoid getting tricked.

A lot of people get tricked by the fake detail thing though, even experienced reviewers. The worst example in recent memory was the JVC HA FW 10000. On normal songs it seems to sound very detailed and effortless but on soundtracks the treble unnaturalness is glaring.
I'll have to disagree with you. I own the sundaras, which are good, and the hd800 which is stellar. There is no trickery.

May 17, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,904 of 4,255
I'll have to disagree with you. I own the sundaras, which are good, and the hd800 which is stellar. There is no trickery.
And that's perfectly ok :) . If you enjoy it then by all means have a good time :D

Audio is very subjective after all. Different headphones are better for particular genres. Maybe it just happens that the HD800 is less suited for my choice of songs. I've heard the tracks that are better in the HD800 because of its treble boost and additional air but unfortunately the boost doesn't do well on movie soundtracks which, in my opinion, sound more realistic with more neutral headphones.

May 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,905 of 4,255
And that's perfectly ok :) . If you enjoy it then by all means have a good time :D

Audio is very subjective after all. Different headphones are better for particular genres. Maybe it just happens that the HD800 is less suited for my choice of songs. I've heard the tracks that are better in the HD800 because of its treble boost and additional air but unfortunately the boost doesn't do well on movie soundtracks which, in my opinion, sound more realistic with more neutral headphones.
It's all good. I totally agree. Very subjective hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back