HiFiMan Shangri-La Jr (New $8000 Electrostat)
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #92 of 568
Yes you're right!
Why did it go from $30k to $50k?
Probably because it sound so good

Because he doesn't own any vehicle that is cheaper than $50K.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #94 of 568
I am not sure if your are being sarcastic or not? Sorry to say Susvara sounds like a $3000 headphone or lower. And the senior Shangri-la is a mess. Now we have a $8000.00 headphone that will sound like a $4000.00 headphone or lower.

Why can't Hifiman make high-end ground breaking $1000 to $3000.00 headphones. I mean constantly just having $1200 , $1400, $1600, $1800,$ 2200, $2600 pairs of headphones!! Now that will be ground breaking!!! .

Stop with these Fat-cat overpriced mediocre headphones.

Cheers.

P.s the real revolution headphone should be a affordable middle class price ! Not these nonsense overpriced mediocre sound quality price.

Mm..to be fair to HFM, they made the HEKv1 and v2 and the Edition X v1 and v2. Not to mention the HE6, 560, 400i. Those cans cater to the mid-fi to summit-fi segment of the market. Put another way, HFM is providing products to cover the whole spectrum of budgets and taste.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #95 of 568
They use the old principle of "pick a price, and see how many bites we get"

The sound doesn't matter as ;long as the price rings a bell in the consumer.

"Hey, look at my new US$8k headphones, man - they're the best.."
"I tried them and my beats sound better than them.....!"
"yeah, but.... but.... your beats don't cost US$8k....!!!!!"
"True dat. must be my hearing acuity"

Two weeks later.
"Hey, look at my new US$8k headphones, they're the bestest....!!!"
They look just like mine. What made you upgrade from your beats..?"
"I needed to upgrade my hearing acuity..!"
"How much did that cost...?
"Only US$8k, what a bargain....!"
"What did you do with your beats?"
"My dog wears them"
"Does he like 'em...?"
"He's deaf...!"
"Yep, perfect pairing" "btw, Has he tried your US$8k headphones..?"
"Yep, .... and he likes 'em better than the beats...!"
"How come....?"
"They keep his ears warmer. I expect that to change in the summer."
"May I have a loan of your beats this summer..?"

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #98 of 568
Mm..HE 1000 v1 was a WOFamer in Innerfidelity. The V2 version has garnered some rave reviews. The HE 560 also made it in the Innerfidelity Stuff We Like back in the days. HE6 seems to have lots of fan in the community. Is there any HFM headphone model that was a certified flop because it sounded so bad and so not worth the asking price?

I very briefly auditioned the Susvara and the Shangrila during CanJam Singapore 2017. They are both good headphones and I preferred the Shangrila over the Susvara (but did not impressed me to preorder). Whether they are worth buying is another matter. I think it boils down to the individual to decide.

Point is let's not remain obsessed over the Shangrila, Susvara or the Shangrila Jr. Look at their entire product portfolio. There's always something for everyone.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #99 of 568
Mm..HE 1000 v1 was a WOFamer in Innerfidelity. The V2 version has garnered some rave reviews. The HE 560 also made it in the Innerfidelity Stuff We Like back in the days. HE6 seems to have lots of fan in the community. Is there any HFM headphone model that was a certified flop because it sounded so bad and so not worth the asking price?

I very briefly auditioned the Susvara and the Shangrila during CanJam Singapore 2017. They are both good headphones and I preferred the Shangrila over the Susvara (but did not impressed me to preorder). Whether they are worth buying is another matter. I think it boils down to the individual to decide.

Point is let's not remain obsessed over the Shangrila, Susvara or the Shangrila Jr. Look at their entire product portfolio. There's always something for everyone.

I personally like the HEK V2 and thought of it as a stellar headphones. Still, Hifiman can easily bypassed V1 and just released a version V2. Instead, they tricked buyers into purchasing a very expensive short-live flagship product. Then they did the same for the V2 (I was done at this point), and later released the Susvara, and now the Shangrila Jr. Same can be said with the $2000 HEX v1 and $1200 v2. I decided to sell the HEK V2, upgraded the amp for the HD800 and now very happy knowing that my HD800 can sound every bit as good as the HEK V2 with better soundstaging on my current setup.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #100 of 568
I personally like the HEK V2 and thought of it as a stellar headphones. Still, Hifiman can easily bypassed V1 and just released a version V2. Instead, they tricked buyers into purchasing a very expensive short-live flagship product. Then they did the same for the V2 (I was done at this point), and later released the Susvara, and now the Shangrila Jr. Same can be said with the $2000 HEX v1 and $1200 v2.

Gee, you mean you didn't like paying for the privilege of being a beta tester for HFM?

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #101 of 568
Gee, you mean you didn't like paying for the privilege of being a beta tester for HFM?
Yes, and then a big NO when they released the V2 later. Plus my V1 has sound cutting in and out at the socket. :ksc75smile:

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #102 of 568
Ooh my, this thread is such a top selling toolbar HFM (not).

Back to earlier comments, I can see the midrange models cater for more budget or real world buyers, but I was seriously amazed how poor the Shangri-La sounded. 300B (speaker) amps have never sounded that harsh and bright to me, so no idea what is going on there. That 'iconic' system should really be the ultimate and pull the rest of the range up a level as regards status of the brand. Sadly in my opinion quite the opposite is happening. Maybe they should slow down and aim to get the respective models absolutely sorted instead of spitting out a new model every 3 months. Failure to deliver can ruin a brand much faster than the speed of new models coming out. Reminds me of the British car industry back in the 70s, lots of new models but they were hideously designed and the quality was dire.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #104 of 568
I personally like the HEK V2 and thought of it as a stellar headphones. Still, Hifiman can easily bypassed V1 and just released a version V2. Instead, they tricked buyers into purchasing a very expensive short-live flagship product. Then they did the same for the V2 (I was done at this point), and later released the Susvara, and now the Shangrila Jr. Same can be said with the $2000 HEX v1 and $1200 v2. I decided to sell the HEK V2, upgraded the amp for the HD800 and now very happy knowing that my HD800 can sound every bit as good as the HEK V2 with better soundstaging on my current setup.

Mm....HFM does not operate in a vacuum. It has to compete for market share in an ever growing and ever competitive landscape. It is a business after all. As a business, it has to pump out a product or series of products to keep itself a step ahead of its competitors. If you slow down, your competitors will eat you alive.

The auto industry does the same. New models, new improvements, new refinements and new features are introduced every single year to keep consumer appetite as high as possible. Why should the headphone industry behave any differently?

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #105 of 568
Mm....HFM does not operate in a vacuum. It has to compete for market share in an ever growing and ever competitive landscape. It is a business after all. As a business, it has to pump out a product or series of products to keep itself a step ahead of its competitors. If you slow down, your competitors will eat you alive.

The auto industry does the same. New models, new improvements, new refinements and new features are introduced every single year to keep consumer appetite as high as possible. Why should the headphone industry behave any differently?

Sennheiser didn't have to do it that way and no other company is eating them alive.

With the right amp, the hd800s are just as good as the $3000 HEK V2 for much less money and they have been around for more than 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back