HiFiMan Shangri-La Jr (New $8000 Electrostat)
Aug 2, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #32 of 568
The price tells you that...because it sounds good

Watch out.

Soon everyone is going to say, "Guys can we please stop talking about the price", SMGDH! just like the Susvara

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #33 of 568
Watch out.

Soon everyone is going to say, "Guys can we please stop talking about the price", SMGDH! just like the Susvara

Lol! I have heard "prices are good indicators of performances", then why should we stop talking about prices ? Or why should we have cheaper headphones ?

I root for this

Meh 8k, pocket change. Im waiting for the real gear to start coming out im bored of this cheap headphone affair, Someone please point me towards the $500,000+ headphones for the upper class men and not the peasants!

We are getting there !

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...these-really-are-a-120-000-pair-of-headphones

I bet Shambala will be the first to reach your mark

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #35 of 568
Lol! I have heard "prices are good indicators of performances", then why should we stop talking about prices ? Or why should we have cheaper headphones ?

I root for this

We are getting there !

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...these-really-are-a-120-000-pair-of-headphones

I bet Shambala will be the first to reach your mark

""They have a huge frequency response of between 5Hz and 50kHz, and an impedance of 32 Ohms. Impressive stuff."

Ughh how I hate the headphone and speaker world these days. Only bullcrap marketing and money ruling everything. What ever happened? If I hear "for the first time" and "what the artist originally intended" one more time I'm going to burn something down :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #36 of 568
Well, people is saying that $8000 for the whole system which has the Headphones + the Amp itself is comparable to 009+BHSE. It depends I guess, but it should be compared to Stax 009 and BHSE at this price point.

1/ BHSE can be built by DIY
2/ BHSE maxed out with a new 009 is more than $8k

So, let's see how bold the Sangrila Jr measures upto ? Care to share internal shot of your "amplifier" HFM ?

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #37 of 568
LOL 8K

You know what? I'm in process to reform my flat to acomodate a 27 sq meters listening room, and a get a pair of refubrished and improved Apogee Duettas to drive them active tri-amplified. All for more or less half of the price of Shangri-La senior (55k € here).

If I'm bored, I'll open a review site just to listen to some overpriced TOTL headphones and say how much of a POS they're compared to the Apogee system at half of the price :deadhorse:

8K for a "Junior" version of anyhing headphone related is a waste of time (and money, of course)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #38 of 568
LOL 8K

You know what? I'm in process to reform my flat to acomodate a 27 sq meters listening room, and a get a pair of refubrished and improved Apogee Duettas to drive them active tri-amplified. All for more or less half of the price of Shangri-La senior (55k € here).

If I'm bored, I'll open a review site just to listen to some overpriced TOTL headphones and say how much of a POS they're compared to the Apogee system at half of the price :deadhorse:

8K for a "Junior" version of anyhing headphone related is a waste of time (and money, of course)

Exactly, and this is where the market has gone down the drain. Speakers are superior, period

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #40 of 568
Shangri LA Junior will be available November

Thanks. Can you tell us more about it? Will love to hear the new innovation that you are putting into it and how different it is from the SL and Susvara. Is it going to be available for trying in HK show and Taipei show? I have no plan to attend those show but LoL my plan will have to change now.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #42 of 568
Mm..the estat amp looks beautifully designed. Like.

If that estat amp uses 300B tubes like the Shangri-La, then it is not the best design. The problem with the 300B tube for this application is that it has no more voltage swing than a 6SN7GTA/B and needs significantly more current than is necessary for the purpose in order to have good linearity - a typical operating point for the 300B is 350 volts at 60 mA. By contrast a 6SN7GTA/B can be run at 350 volts and 7 mA with good linearity for the same voltage swing, a triode-connected EL34 can be run at 400-450 volts at 20 mA with good linearity for significantly higher voltage swing. I would also guess that the amplifier uses plate resistor outputs, as constant current output loads would require external heatsinks. Unfortunately, plate resistor output loads are a non-optimum solution to the problem.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #43 of 568
Exactly, and this is where the market has gone down the drain. Speakers are superior, period

Says the man with a 10K STAX setup. :) I am lucky enough to have a really good speaker system (Vandersteen Model 5As) and a few really good headphone systems. If you love music and movies, there is no reason not to have both. Each has its uses.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #44 of 568
LOL 8K

I am doing a similar thing moving to speakers. Just renovated my 40sq living room layout for new hifi setup with room acoustic treatment and it's a lot of effort and tweaking to optimise. Actually after venturing to hifi, 8k is not a lot for e-stat hp with amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back