HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,937 of 1,984
I’m getting my npaudio modded r2r0000 red tomorrow. Bigger battery plus improved components on the inside. Can’t wait 😀

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,938 of 1,984
I wonder if this dap has enough power for the arya stealth?

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,940 of 1,984
I can confirm that it sounds amazing. Highly recommended if you have a r2r2000

Jan 7, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #1,941 of 1,984
I’ve been using it attached to my android phone. It’s been a while since I used a micro sd on this dap. What format should the card be and how does the player like the songs organised?

Jan 7, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #1,942 of 1,984

Damn! I'm tempted to pick one up and maybe a WM1A for modding.

It doesn't look too big really with the extended back, black matches the 2 tone red one.

IMG-20230105-110733.jpg

Jan 7, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,943 of 1,984
Damn! I'm tempted to pick one up and maybe a WM1A for modding.

It doesn't look too big really with the extended back, black matches the 2 tone red one.

IMG-20230105-110733.jpg
It really isn’t very big with the back. Much easier than strapping on a battery pack. The sound is amazing. It’s up there with the totl daps that I’ve tried and owned

Jan 7, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,946 of 1,984
I’ve been using it attached to my android phone. It’s been a while since I used a micro sd on this dap. What format should the card be and how does the player like the songs organised?
I used the SD Memory Card Formatter tool from sdcard.org. Best to have your music folders & files well organised i.e. artist - albums. also strip out all embedded images as the player is not designed to read them and can stumble. foobar2000 can do that easily enough. I only search via folder resultantly have no issue with the R2R2K's primitive UI :)

Qi6

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,947 of 1,984
Lucky you, the resistors have their audio polarity and this time npaudio soldered it in the correct direction than the previous black mod (haven't tested the Amtrans myself because they are too big and I definitely can't vouch for the correct direction, only seen reviews but the wrong direction can completely devalue the sound quality, tested this feeling on many resistors, but the best for me turned out to be Shinkoh resistors, already rare, when I tried them, all the others lost their significance)

I'm also not a fan of replacing the Op Amp, because the magic of the sound intended by the manufacturer may be lost, the OPA1642 together with the PCM1702/04 gives a powerful bass feeling, replacing it may not improve the sound much, but change the character of the sound.

Interested in your impressions of the improved sound quality changes, details matter)

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,948 of 1,984
Lucky you, the resistors have their audio polarity and this time npaudio soldered it in the correct direction than the previous black mod (haven't tested the Amtrans myself because they are too big and I definitely can't vouch for the correct direction, only seen reviews but the wrong direction can completely devalue the sound quality, tested this feeling on many resistors, but the best for me turned out to be Shinkoh resistors, already rare, when I tried them, all the others lost their significance)

I'm also not a fan of replacing the Op Amp, because the magic of the sound intended by the manufacturer may be lost, the OPA1642 together with the PCM1702/04 gives a powerful bass feeling, replacing it may not improve the sound much, but change the character of the sound.

Interested in your impressions of the improved sound quality changes, details matter)

I was under the impression there is no orientation required for a resistor in any application. Surely if there was they would mark it especially for dedicated audio ones. I don't see anything regarding orientation in the datasheet I found:

https://amtrans.asia/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/2207_AMRG_e.pdf

Are you coming to that conclusing by the printing orientation? surely that depends how they land when shuffled into the screen printing machine. Also from what your saying then hifiman are doing it wrong too as these 2 pics have different orientation.

IMG-20221221-124233.jpg

6651c8446c52557d89a71149a5867ab4.jpg

I have found huge improvements can be had with carefully selected opamp upgrades. Don't forget manufacturers need to be within budget and power draw requirements (for battery powered gear) and have the parts available from an approved supplier not just what sound best with a DAC otherwise every product would be cost no object and battery/ product size is irrelevant.

Jan 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #1,949 of 1,984
I was under the impression there is no orientation required for a resistor in any application. Surely if there was they would mark it especially for dedicated audio ones. I don't see anything regarding orientation in the datasheet I found:

Are you coming to that conclusing by the printing orientation? surely that depends how they land when shuffled into the screen printing machine. Also from what your saying then hifiman are doing it wrong too as these 2 pics have different orientation.

I have found huge improvements can be had with carefully selected opamp upgrades. Don't forget manufacturers need to be within budget and power draw requirements (for battery powered gear) and have the parts available from an approved supplier not just what sound best with a DAC otherwise every product would be cost no object and battery/ product size is irrelevant.
Not all resistors sound better in the direction of the print, some resistors sound better in the reverse direction of the print. The mechanical spraying of the resistor is applied in one direction and in this direction the sound will be better, soft and voluminous, "against wool" the sound can feel much worse, sharp and narrow, such a direction effect is also present in cables, for example, for headphones, so I I don't like ready-made cables, even custom ones, because no one takes this into account.

I just wanted to replace the resistors and caps in the r2r2k, because they are cheap and magnetized, but as it turns out, they greatly affect the sound quality, if you replace the ceramic capacitors with film capacitors, maybe the male voice will lose its hoarseness and become smoother, which will have a negative effect on rock music .

I once replaced the HM603 opamp with a newer from the same manufacturer, more expensive and technically better one and could not listen to it, instead of a warm, noisy, wide musical sound, I got a crystal clear, technically better but refined, narrow and uninteresting sound, so not everything that is better on paper will be better and more harmonious in implementation.

I tried many combinations of resistors and capacitors, different combinations and directions on r2r2k and noticed the pros and cons of different variations by ear, so I decided to write about it. Also, the direction of the conductors in the cables has the same effect on the sound, so in real hi-end production, all this should be taken into account, more attention - a better result.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,950 of 1,984
Not all resistors sound better in the direction of the print, some resistors sound better in the reverse direction of the print. The mechanical spraying of the resistor is applied in one direction and in this direction the sound will be better, soft and voluminous, "against wool" the sound can feel much worse, sharp and narrow, such a direction effect is also present in cables, for example, for headphones, so I I don't like ready-made cables, even custom ones, because no one takes this into account.

I just wanted to replace the resistors and caps in the r2r2k, because they are cheap and magnetized, but as it turns out, they greatly affect the sound quality, if you replace the ceramic capacitors with film capacitors, maybe the male voice will lose its hoarseness and become smoother, which will have a negative effect on rock music .

I once replaced the HM603 opamp with a newer from the same manufacturer, more expensive and technically better one and could not listen to it, instead of a warm, noisy, wide musical sound, I got a crystal clear, technically better but refined, narrow and uninteresting sound, so not everything that is better on paper will be better and more harmonious in implementation.

Thank you for your explanation. I am of course assuming NPAudio do listen to their work as opposed to blindly replacing components and then shipping back 🤔😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back