HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Aug 2, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #1,966 of 1,984
ok guess i have problem, no one is having.

i have an r2r red and it just goes crazy with screen glitching. or screen glitching and randomly moving around to different screens/options on the player.

this makes the player 300% useable/unplayable. also none of the "buttons" on the player work while this is happening. and it's even a struggle to cut the player off.

so what happens is the cut the player on and the glitching kicks in and i can't use it at all

or it starts and i'm able to use/set functions and options. and get music to play.

and a short time after that, whether it's 30 seconds or 2 minutes etc. the glitching kicks in the music gets highjacked/disappears. i have no control, of no functions. and i can't use the player at all.

the first time this happen. i gave up using the player for a few days. and used compressed air. and this gave me a few days of normal use. but now the compressed air as zero effected. and i might get a seizure looking at the screen as it glitches and rapidly speeds through selections. while providing no audio !!!!!

anyone knows what's going ? or if this can be fixed ???

i've read pages and pages in this thread and didn't see anyone say anything similar. and google is no help at all. problem not listed.

so can someone save the day and my sanity for me ???? :)

should i just give it up ? and return to *gulp* my phone. :frowning2:

special bonus points, trying the charge the player right now. and the glitching causes the player to cut off. before it gets a full charge. arrrgh...
Have you tried to reset the player or reload the latest firmware? This can resolve most SW issues.

Q-6

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,967 of 1,984
Have you tried to reset the player or reload the latest firmware? This can resolve most SW issues.

Q-6
no, that didn't work. i tried that previously. and tried it again after you were nice enough to reply. :)

i reformatted a card to ex-fat. put the hifiman file on the root. waited a few minutes. turned the player back on. and did the reset setting options. (the joke being it took a few tries to even be able to get there because of the glitching)

and no, the problems remain. but thank you anyway ! :)

i was thinking that instead of a software issue. maybe the problem could be something got inside via the usb port ??? i don't know...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,968 of 1,984
no, that didn't work. i tried that previously. and tried it again after you were nice enough to reply. :)

i reformatted a card to ex-fat. put the hifiman file on the root. waited a few minutes. turned the player back on. and did the reset setting options. (the joke being it took a few tries to even be able to get there because of the glitching)

i was thinking that instead of a software issue. maybe the problem could be something got inside via the usb port ??? i don't know...
check settings inside of the wm1a itself, iirc there was a setting that disabled the option to connect it to PC, over that maybe try and redownload the wm1a drivers on the pc.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,969 of 1,984
check settings inside of the wm1a itself, iirc there was a setting that disabled the option to connect it to PC, over that maybe try and redownload the wm1a drivers on the pc.
isn't that a sony player ? anyway, i downloaded the hifiman firmware to a "card reader". and then put the micro sd card inside the r2r2000.

the firmware was definitely on the card. and after updating the firmware. i see the firmware was gone from the card as hifiman, stated would happen. so i think the firmware updating was successful.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,970 of 1,984
isn't that a sony player ? anyway, i downloaded the hifiman firmware to a "card reader". and then put the micro sd card inside the r2r2000.

the firmware was definitely on the card. and after updating the firmware. i see the firmware was gone from the card as hifiman, stated would happen. so i think the firmware updating was successful.
ahhh my bad!! im following the wm1a thread too and someone had issues connecting there.. sorry, my brain mixed those two up

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,971 of 1,984

i have an r2r red and it just goes crazy with screen glitching. or screen glitching and randomly moving around to different screens/options on the player.

this makes the player 300% useable/unplayable. also none of the "buttons" on the player work while this is happening. and it's even a struggle to cut the player off.

so what happens is the cut the player on and the glitching kicks in and i can't use it at all

or it starts and i'm able to use/set functions and options. and get music to play.

and a short time after that, whether it's 30 seconds or 2 minutes etc. the glitching kicks in the music gets highjacked/disappears. i have no control, of no functions. and i can't use the player at all.

the first time this happen. i gave up using the player for a few days. and used compressed air. and this gave me a few days of normal use. but now the compressed air as zero effected. and i might get a seizure looking at the screen as it glitches and rapidly speeds through selections. while providing no audio !!!!!

i've read pages and pages in this thread and didn't see anyone say anything similar. and google is no help at all. problem not listed.

special bonus points, trying the charge the player right now. and the glitching causes the player to cut off. before it gets a full charge. arrrgh...
This often happened to me, I concluded that it was due to a weak battery. My Red is always connected to the mains or power bank and these failures do not happen, I hope it helped)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,972 of 1,984

I actually had a similar problem: after a few minutes the buttons started to randomly press themselves making the player unusable. I ended up disassembling it and checking if the battery is inflated. It wasn't. After assembling it back the problem disappeared for a few days and then returned again.

Then I did some research and it looks like the problem is that the digitiser glass (the one you touch with the finger) is touching the frame and for whatever reason some current starts to leak onto the digitiser triggering false touches. A potential solution is to add some kapton tape between the glass and the metal frame to separate them better: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/192265/solution+to+phantom-ghost+touches+ipad+air

I was about to try this solution after not using the player for 2-3 months, but the problem seems to be gone when I turned it back on (and works normally last 2-3 weeks). But if it returns I will try to add some tape inside as they suggest in the link.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,973 of 1,984
Hunterua, how do you set the r2r to use a power bank as a power source ? i know how use a power bank as a charging source but that's it.

yesterday when i charged the red. the glitching randomness was happening while charging. (player got shut down 4 times before i could get a full charge)

i doubt keeping plugged to the mains will solve the glitch problem. but thanks immensely for taking the time to reply. and confirming that this problem has happened to others. weak battery, could be a thing though. and worse comes to worse and i have to attempt to replace the battery. i'll be back on head fi. asking how to do it. ha ha. :wink:

goaud27, i'll order the tape. so i'd put the tape right where the glass screen starts aka right past the metal frame ?

(just ordered the 1/8 version of the tape)

also goaud27, i'm sorry that your were another victim to this problem. :frowning2:

again, thanks to both of you for your suggestions :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,974 of 1,984
Hunterua, how do you set the r2r to use a power bank as a power source ? i know how use a power bank as a charging source but that's it.

yesterday when i charged the red. the glitching randomness was happening while charging. (player got shut down 4 times before i could get a full charge)

i doubt keeping plugged to the mains will solve the glitch problem. but thanks immensely for taking the time to reply. and confirming that this problem has happened to others. weak battery, could be a thing though. and worse comes to worse and i have to attempt to replace the battery. i'll be back on head fi. asking how to do it. ha ha. :wink:

goaud27, i'll order the tape. so i'd put the tape right where the glass screen starts aka right past the metal frame ?

also goaud27, i'm sorry that your were another victim to this problem. :frowning2:

again, thanks to both of you for your suggestions :)
Keep in mind, you would need to remove the back plate and remove the battery to get to the sensor glass. It's not easy and certainly dangerous for the player. I don't know where exactly is the problematic point but I would try to squeeze the insulating tape everywhere I can between the glass and the metal, also between all the wires (coming from the screen) and the metal. I personally opened it only because it became unusable, so as good as dead.

Another idea is to ask NPAudio. He (or they) perform a deep modification of R2R2000 (https://www.npaudio.uk/npaudio-modifications/hifiman/npaudio-hifiman-r2r2000-max-upgrade), so he might have more experience/knowledge about it. And maybe even help to fix the issue as part of the mod. (I might order that mode in the future when the battery starts dying).

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,975 of 1,984
arrh....

so it isn't just putting the tape on the edge of the screen. runs in horror....

because my tech skill. is none. oh well when i get the tape .i'll keep it anyway. it was cheap.

hey, has their even been a review comparing a modded r2r2000 to a non mod ?

and i wonder if a modded r2r2000 red beats a non modded r2r 2000 black ?

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,976 of 1,984
anyone think adding a glass screen protector to the back/front of the player would help ?

i know as goaud27 says, problem is things happening on an internal level. just wondering about the glass. i'm desperate. :wink:

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,978 of 1,984

Shame as then points to a issue with the HW :frowning2:

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back