HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Sep 26, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #1,876 of 1,984
The odds are that it will and digital devices are sensitive to power quality. Thanks for considering it though :) R2R and BurrBrowns are known for their stronger emphasis on tone and smoothness rather than details. Many folks fancy that including us here at iFi :wink: No plans for a DAP of our own, but we never say never :)
Yup, I dug a bit into it and turns out akm also has a multibit chip (ak4395/6), So maybe the distinct quality I really love comes from the multibit design rather than specifically BB.

As for the dap, It'll eventually happen, sure maybe not this year, or next, but do you REALLY think there won't be an ifi dap in 5 years from now? ;P it's a matter of time.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,877 of 1,984
Yup, I dug a bit into it and turns out akm also has a multibit chip (ak4395/6), So maybe the distinct quality I really love comes from the multibit design rather than specifically BB.

Although DAC chips matter, everything around them matters too and contributes to sound in one way or another :wink:

As for the dap, It'll eventually happen, sure maybe not this year, or next, but do you REALLY think there won't be an ifi dap in 5 years from now? ;P it's a matter of time.

I have no info on the subject at this time, but thanks for asking :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 27, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #1,878 of 1,984
Mainly work longer, for sure, but if caps and resistors are replaced I can only assume SQ will improve too? I don't know, not too knowledgable at these things..

But the r2r2k black's SQ is something that I always saw as the summit (altho looking at daps like rs8, I've a feeling it's been surpassed, but that's something I'll try in the far future), so the only real issue I had was battery (even then, it wasn't too bad, it definitely was enough for a day if charged daily.)
I tried replacing different brands of resistors and capacitors and they all sounded different:

Resistors:
Vishay Dale RN55 Metalfilm - Pure clinical sound, somewhat synthetic, sharp and narrow.
Kiwame Carbon Film - magnetized caps, very noisy and distant sound, warm and colored.
Takman Carbon Films - noisy at first, but then clean, neutral and a little harsh.
Various old resistors from the USSR - carbon, metal, composite, all showed different bad results.
Shinkoh Tantalum - Musical and wide sound, closer, detailed with soft treble, a little warm, but in fact it is transparent and shows the warmth and musicality of R2R, the best on the market, but the remaining ones are sold out, the required denominations are no longer available, I had to solder in pairs.
Stock resistor - magnetized, sounds dirty and sharp on treble, and some instruments sound a little different.

After Shinkoh, all other resistors sound uninteresting. (Did not try Amtrans AMRG Carbon Film, original Riken Ohm Carbon and Audio Note Tantalum)

Capacitors:
Silver Mica Capacitor - Pure clinical sound, smooth but sharp on the treble, more high-frequency sound, slightly different tonality. The hoarseness of vocals on rock songs is lost.
Stock Ceramic Capacitor - magnetized, did not compare after removal.
Ceramic old Capacitors from the USSR - tried two types, one sounded good, the other had a narrower stage.
Glass-Ceramic old Capacitors from the USSR - The most open, transparent, wide sound, the best of all the capacitors I tested, but also the largest.

I would like to compare the mod with the stock and record on the line output, but I don't have quality equipment.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #1,879 of 1,984
I tried replacing different brands of resistors and capacitors and they all sounded different:

Resistors:
Vishay Dale RN55 Metalfilm - Pure clinical sound, somewhat synthetic, sharp and narrow.
Kiwame Carbon Film - magnetized caps, very noisy and distant sound, warm and colored.
Takman Carbon Films - noisy at first, but then clean, neutral and a little harsh.
Various old resistors from the USSR - carbon, metal, composite, all showed different bad results.
Shinkoh Tantalum - Musical and wide sound, closer, detailed with soft treble, a little warm, but in fact it is transparent and shows the warmth and musicality of R2R, the best on the market, but the remaining ones are sold out, the required denominations are no longer available, I had to solder in pairs.
Stock resistor - magnetized, sounds dirty and sharp on treble, and some instruments sound a little different.

After Shinkoh, all other resistors sound uninteresting. (Did not try Amtrans AMRG Carbon Film, original Riken Ohm Carbon and Audio Note Tantalum)

Capacitors:
Silver Mica Capacitor - Pure clinical sound, smooth but sharp on the treble, more high-frequency sound, slightly different tonality. The hoarseness of vocals on rock songs is lost.
Ceramic old Capacitors from the USSR - tried two types, one sounded good, the other had a narrower stage.
Glass-Ceramic old Capacitors from the USSR - The most open, transparent, wide sound, the best of all the capacitors I tested, but also the largest.

I would like to compare the mod with the stock and record on the line output, but I don't have quality equipment.
Super interesting, thanks a lot, altho your mod is for the red r2r2000, i've a feeling results would be similar on the black :) sent your comment to npaudio

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,880 of 1,984
Super interesting, thanks a lot, altho your mod is for the red r2r2000, i've a feeling results would be similar on the black :) sent your comment to npaudio
Very interesting, I think it will sound more neutral with the Shinkoh, the red has a warm tone, I was interested in trying to replace the PCM1702 with a PCM1704 when the DAP was broken, but wasn't sure I would like it because I was happy with the sound of the red. It would be cool to have two boards with different PCMs)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,881 of 1,984
Very interesting, I think it will sound more neutral with the Shinkoh, the red has a warm tone, I was interested in trying to replace the PCM1702 with a PCM1704 when the DAP was broken, but wasn't sure I would like it because I was happy with the sound of the red. It would be cool to have two boards with different PCMs)
I thought about it too, but rather with other multibit chips, pcm1794 / ak4395, I was surprised that there were so many multibit chips (altho not pure, and are partially delta sigma) but interesting nonetheless.. from lurking around in forums it seems that some people prefer the akm chip, but couldn't find many direct comparisons.

Sep 28, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #1,882 of 1,984

Resistors:

Capacitors:
Glass-Ceramic old Capacitors from the USSR - The most open, transparent, wide sound, the best of all the capacitors I tested, but also the lar.

Hello
Thanks for the impressions !
Me & @srinivasvignesh have problem in our r2r2k red.
Our one channel is not working in HIFI mode but works in low battery mode.
Can you help us on how to open the DAP & what could be the possible problem ?
We think there is something to do with the opamp?
Hifiman customer care are not helpful. Very unprofessional.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #1,883 of 1,984
Hello
Need to use a heat gun to soften glue then carefully lift the back. Likely you will need to replace one if not both of the DAC chips as that's how others have resolved this issue.

Just observational; the R2R2K can get pretty hot under load, more so if charging. I tend to place my own player on its side where possible to lessen the internal temperature.

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,884 of 1,984
early peak at npaudio r2r2000 black mod :)
Interesting, however I don't care for the bulk.

My battery solution
IMG_20220722_135052.jpg
1664353928945.png
Use it when I need it to extend the R2R2K's runtime. MINISO 5000mAh Powerbank, closely matches the R2R2K's footprint has USB A, C & Micro USB outputs. High power density in a small package :)

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #1,885 of 1,984
Hello
Test R2R2K.jpg

You can use any amplifier (AMP), for headphones, for computer speakers, you can also use 3.5 to 3.5 cable from R2R (its for ground). If you hear noise instead of music, the PCM is dead.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #1,887 of 1,984
Amtrans AMCH Copper foil caps and AMRG resistors, not final version, potentially a triple battery which totals 9000mah
Looks cool, hopefully sounds better, I also wanted to try the AMRG resistors and capacitors, but the resistors are too big, and the capacitors are the smallest rated 100pF, the original is 47pF, and they are polypropylene, which can affect the timbre of voices, and now I see that they are also big)

Looking forward to your first impressions) AMRG carbon resistors do not make noise?

I also noticed that the direction of the resistor is important, it can sound soft in one direction, sharp in the other, as with the cables, so it is worth trying by ear. For this reason, I do not buy ready-made cables, but make them myself)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #1,888 of 1,984
Amtrans AMCH Copper foil caps and AMRG resistors, not final version, potentially a triple battery which totals 9000mah
Is there an air gap between the DAC's and the resistors? I'd be concerned about a hot spot as stock the R2R2K's can get toasty at times. Extended enclosure looks to be printed so adding in some vents wouldn't be a big deal.

Q-6

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,889 of 1,984
Is there an air gap between the DAC's and the resistors? I'd be concerned about a hot spot as stock the R2R2K's can get toasty at times. Extended enclosure looks to be printed so adding in some vents wouldn't be a big deal.

Q-6
It's actually a small resistor in a large case, so it could be a heatsink for the PCM) Air vents are a cool idea!

But if use copper protection against radio waves as in the stock, then it will not make sense

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,890 of 1,984
It's actually a small resistor in a large case, so it could be a heatsink for the PCM) Air vents are a cool idea!

But if use copper protection against radio waves as in the stock, then it will not make sense
You'd need to see which runs hotter, PCM's are limited to 85C. Resistors up to155C. TBH doubt will be an issue as a lot more internal space to dissipate heat. My concern would be with the PCM's and not introducing more heat to them as they seem to be a weak spot for some members and becoming ever harder to source. TBH you'd like to go deaf first LOL, that said the cooler the better as it's the Delta of the heating cooling cycle that tends to kill electronics.

Venting could still work as long as is above any copper shield in, but doubt would have significant impact without a large surface area. That said a honeycomb style of extension to the case could also be aesthetically pleasing, revealing the inner copper shield and shed unwanted heat. Would certainly be unique if nothing else :)

Very interested to follow your mod :)

Q-6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back