HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Sep 7, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #856 of 1,984
R2R2000 Red is shockingly good.
I never expected such a sound from them.
My main problem with all TOTL flagships DAPs is the instrument timbre which is quite different from R2R NOS/OS DACs.

In order to truly listen to Red’s signature, I paired it with super transparent Benchmark hpa4 and Audio Technica ADX5000 using 4.4mm(LO) to XLR cable.

The result is mind blowing. I think I have never heard such transients, timbre, and bodied mids(vocals/instruments) from a DAP.

Don’t get carried away by Red’s size & below avg UI . Expensive is not always better.

These belong to TOTL league in terms of pure sound reproduction.

I can see why HFN have r2r2k as source at Canjam events. These can easily replace a good desktop DAC. Just pair them with right amp.

I cannot imagine how will Black sound.:)

DEBF975F-2815-461D-BDF8-2FFC16B07937.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #859 of 1,984
just like you used it as a source to hpa4, did you use it as a source in speaker system ?
Sorry, I don't have a speaker system yet.
Will definitely have one in near future.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #860 of 1,984
I'm debating between the new zx500 or r2r2000R. If only we could a modern dap that sound like r2r2000 but function like a modern dap.
I think a fantastic combo would be R2R2000 plus NW-A100 in LDAC. I know I already raised the point but yet have received an answer. @TeamHiFiMAN Given that you now produce Ananda BT which is compatible LDAC, can you please confirm if you intend to update firmware of R2R2000 for it to also support LDAC? Thank you in advance for your reply;

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #863 of 1,984
I'm working on my Rocky Mountain Audio Fest Day #3 Sunday impressions in the meets forums, but wanted to briefly throw out that I compared my R2R2000 with JH Audio Roxanne custom IEM to the Astell and Kern SP1000M with dual AK4497EQ DACs today. That's about a $2400 DAP and since it's in the same price I targeted that one. I'll start by saying both sounded very nice.

Zl1X4A.jpg

I was using my JHA Roxanne with my Moon-Audio Black Dragon 2.5mm balanced cable, and I don't have my adapter to use it with the pentagon jack yet. But I do have the Black Dragon V3 pigtail to use the balanced cable on the R2R2000 3.5mm SE output. In my listening, I found that the R2R2000 was every bit as good with lossless music via the SD card as the A&K, with subtle differences in their character. I actually thought the treble on the SP1000M was slightly more stiff sounding while the R2R2000 was a little more organic and smooth sounding, without giving up any detail.

I was disappointed that while the A&K and R2R2000 music library's shared about 20 different artists, that in every single case I didn't have the same albums and songs on my R2R2000 as the A&K had. So, I had to find similar songs, in genre and style, to compare.

With careful listening I could likely identify which player to which I was listening blindfolded, 8 out of 10 times. But the differences weren't enough to make me dislike one or the other. Both are quite capable, and enjoyable. But I think in the end the R2R2000 would be less fatiguing, or not at all, with long listening sessions. Obviously I could not try the A&K for a long listening session at the show.

I have not used the R2R2000 as a BT DAC for several months, since my CEntrance BlueDAC weighs about 1/3 what the R2R2K weighs, and therefore mostly use the BlueDAC if my iPhone will be the source. Instead I mostly use the R2R2K as a DAP with microSD card, or as a USB DAC for my Macbook, saving the battery on my iPhone or BlueDAC. The R2R2000 vs A&K SP1000M is hard to describe, other than saying the R2R2K just sounds real to me. In other words, the R2R2000 sounds closer to being a musical instrument than something that's used to recreate the sound of a musical instrument.

My BlueDAC's and HiFi-M8's tone and character would be closer to the sharp and attentive A&K DAP, but I will NOT use the word analytical, because some people think of that as cold and clinical, which they are not. The A&K SP1000M fell in between the BlueDAC/HiFi-M8 and the R2R2000 in that regard, in terms of character and tone, and they all use a similar DAC as well. So, the others when held in comparison to the R2R2000 made me think of them as being a sharper tool that sheds light on the music's detail and structure, more than making me "feel" a part of the music and lose myself in it like the R2R2000.

So, as for the Bluetooth - since I hadn't used it in a long time, I thought why not launch the HiFiMan app and stream Tidal to the R2R2K via the hi-res BT connection, so that I could listen to the same songs on the R2R2K as with the A&K's preloaded music. I connected the R2R2K to my iPhone Xs max via Bluetooth, and launched the HiFiMan app, and... nothing. The app would launch and hang at "Checking Device". I disconnected devices, rebooted, reconnected, and nothing allowed the app to finish loading except launching the HiFiman app without the R2R2000 being connected.

By this time I was out of time (RMAF ending with 5-6 more booths to visit), and had to just stream music from Tidal app on the iPhone to the R2R2K via AAC Bluetooth, and it did not fare well vs the A&K. The only way to really get the R2R2K to sound amazing via BT is through the HiFiMan app, so I'm going to remove the app and re-install it and play with again tomorrow (without the A&K player to compare with).

pl6m58gJj

I absolutely love the smaller size of the R2R2000 and the rich organic musical tone, and absolutely loved the touchscreen interface of the A&K DAP but not the larger size. I could be happy with the sound of both, but would not get rid of the R2R2K for the A&K at this point. The sound is more important I think, and the versatility in being able to use it with the microSD card, with iPhone wirelessly (even in low res mode without SDHC mode), and with my MacBook as a portable DAC.

I'll be spending some time listening to R2R2K with the current Sennheiser HD800s with pentacon balanced jack in a couple of weeks, and I'll post my thoughts. As you know, with the HE-1000se it's like those headphones and the R2R2K were made for each other.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #864 of 1,984
20190910_141309.jpg
20190910_141309.jpg
(Maybe) Greatest pairing to pair with Ra C Cu (Standalone DAP)

It tamed piercing sound from ceramic nozzle to a beautiful silky high. With enough output power (I listened then at 19-20), it produced great dynamic range of sound.

Other paired I like to pair with is Cayin N8 Brass Black but I prefer R2R2k more since it have more orginic and musical sound while N8BB is a bit more transparent and a bit sweeter.

Also worked great with my others hard-to-drived earbud - -)b

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #865 of 1,984
(Maybe) Greatest pairing to pair with Ra C Cu (Standalone DAP)

It tamed piercing sound from ceramic nozzle to a beautiful silky high. With enough output power (I listened then at 19-20), it produced great dynamic range of sound.

Other paired I like to pair with is Cayin N8 Brass Black but I prefer R2R2k more since it have more orginic and musical sound while N8BB is a bit more transparent and a bit sweeter.

Also worked great with my others hard-to-drived earbud - -)b

What cable is that?

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #866 of 1,984
My R2R2K Black is back :) Still in testing phase but here are a few pics of my current favorite pairings with it.

JTLBcdT.jpg

FPO76xK.jpg

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #868 of 1,984
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #870 of 1,984
Quick Tip for those who are afraid to make it fall when carrying it around. Well yes if you carry your phone, the DAP and other stuff it may happen (at least if you are bit clumsy which is my case).

EPlXrUD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back