HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #361 of 1,984
Yes, it is user friendly and you can update the player from home as the software gets better. I'm sure the software will progress quickly if HiFiMan wants to stay relevant and charge their high asking prices, etc.
That is an excellent news as firmware is one of the vital point of this technology. This makes it pricing more understandable.

Have they ever disclosed about what type of FPGA chip is their main DSP engine yet ? Thank you

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #362 of 1,984
They won't say which chip they are using but they were very adamant about the fact that the chip they are using has never been implemented in any portable player before.

So, not only is it significant that it's a ladder DAC inside but that it has a pretty decent chip to handle the D to A conversion.

I believe this is why the player is priced so high. Because we all know the metalwork / industrial design is nothing to write home about.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #363 of 1,984
They won't say which chip they are using but they were very adamant about the fact that the chip they are using has never been implemented in any portable player before.

So, not only is it significant that it's a ladder DAC inside but that it has a pretty decent chip to handle the D to A conversion.

I believe this is why the player is priced so high. Because we all know the metalwork / industrial design is nothing to write home about.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, it is not easy to fit a Resistor ladder inside a portable player (depends on what bit rate it is...did they mention about this ?). Also, it is not easy to have a good FPGA implemented, and next up would be the firmware itself. I can’t wait to hear what they have to disclose more about the technology. If it is so good, why not mentioning about it

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #364 of 1,984
My audio friend overseas just purchased two weeks ago and he could not get the player to read his SD card.

He contacted Hifiman and they sent him new firmware and now he's able to do what he wants with the player.

At first he was very upset and wanted his money back but now he seems to be OK with the player after installing the latest firmware...

Apparently, the player isn't 'dead' but needs to be updated with the latest software to get it to work correctly.

It must sound good or my friend overseas would not keep it. He only keeps the best sounding gear as he has no budget for audio and has an open checkbook to play with.

(must be nice)...
Good to hear the firmware is being sorted. The purchasing sight unseen/unheard part for we overseas customers is a bit crap when there are no reviews to get a warm and fuzzy from. A number of high end DAPs are being released at the moment, so I guess the wait isn’t a bad thing for buyers.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #366 of 1,984
I will continue to monitor the progress of the firmware but I am skeptical that it will improve quickly or completely. The battery life is a real problem at the moment and there is only so much firmware can do for that. This does seem to have a lot of potential given the hardware specs but I think they would have been better off making this a small portable DAC. DAP software is not a trivial thing that just anyone can do. Ask Chord how they liked their experience with the Poly.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #367 of 1,984
I will continue to monitor the progress of the firmware but I am skeptical that it will improve quickly or completely. The battery life is a real problem at the moment and there is only so much firmware can do for that. This does seem to have a lot of potential given the hardware specs but I think they would have been better off making this a small portable DAC. DAP software is not a trivial thing that just anyone can do. Ask Chord how they liked their experience with the Poly.

That is why people have not been grateful enough for companies to really offer their own OS, which is not a variant of custom android Os, such as Ibasso (mango), Sony (WM-OS), Lotoo-OS

OS is what bringing the victorious song to Apple IPhones which stirred up another life for the company. It is a shame since the day Tim got it, and it Os has gone down the drain

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #371 of 1,984
My audio friend overseas just purchased two weeks ago and he could not get the player to read his SD card.

He contacted Hifiman and they sent him new firmware and now he's able to do what he wants with the player.

At first he was very upset and wanted his money back but now he seems to be OK with the player after installing the latest firmware...

Apparently, the player isn't 'dead' but needs to be updated with the latest software to get it to work correctly.

It must sound good or my friend overseas would not keep it. He only keeps the best sounding gear as he has no budget for audio and has an open checkbook to play with.

(must be nice)...
Does your friend have any experience with the mighty Tera Player? That is a R2R WAV player only that sounds incredible for it's size, neutral with a black background, organic , analogue sound. Non-fatigue even after 7 hours non stop listening.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #373 of 1,984
He just may as he has about 15 DAPs to choose from. I don't think he understands the concept of selling gear he doesn't use...

I will ask him if you are wondering how the two compare.
Don't need to, thank you. I have heard them both and actually i own the Tera Player.
I was just curious to know what he thinks about it, if he has/heard so much portable audio gear.

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #374 of 1,984
My main concern with this player wasn't the buggy firmware which I know it will be improved as time progresses but short battery life and lack of skip button. Quite inconvenient to turn on the screen every time just to skip a track. Not sure they if they will redesign but it would've been perfect for me as I love the form factor.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #375 of 1,984
I have tried the R2R2000 but haven't the others. However i will really like to try the LPGT.
Levi my friend, I have caved in. I am getting it. The sound was still haunting me 2 months on now. I hope I'll be as tolerant of the bugs once I receive it if they don't fix them in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back