1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last
  1. Whitigir
    That is an excellent news as firmware is one of the vital point of this technology. This makes it pricing more understandable.

Have they ever disclosed about what type of FPGA chip is their main DSP engine yet ? Thank you

2. P.Car
    They won't say which chip they are using but they were very adamant about the fact that the chip they are using has never been implemented in any portable player before.

So, not only is it significant that it's a ladder DAC inside but that it has a pretty decent chip to handle the D to A conversion.

I believe this is why the player is priced so high. Because we all know the metalwork / industrial design is nothing to write home about.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    NaiveSound likes this.
  3. Whitigir
    Yes, it is not easy to fit a Resistor ladder inside a portable player (depends on what bit rate it is...did they mention about this ?). Also, it is not easy to have a good FPGA implemented, and next up would be the firmware itself. I can’t wait to hear what they have to disclose more about the technology. If it is so good, why not mentioning about it

4. bizkit
    Good to hear the firmware is being sorted. The purchasing sight unseen/unheard part for we overseas customers is a bit crap when there are no reviews to get a warm and fuzzy from. A number of high end DAPs are being released at the moment, so I guess the wait isn’t a bad thing for buyers.

5. Whitigir
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. bflat
    I will continue to monitor the progress of the firmware but I am skeptical that it will improve quickly or completely. The battery life is a real problem at the moment and there is only so much firmware can do for that. This does seem to have a lot of potential given the hardware specs but I think they would have been better off making this a small portable DAC. DAP software is not a trivial thing that just anyone can do. Ask Chord how they liked their experience with the Poly.

NaiveSound and Whitigir like this.
  7. Whitigir
    That is why people have not been grateful enough for companies to really offer their own OS, which is not a variant of custom android Os, such as Ibasso (mango), Sony (WM-OS), Lotoo-OS

OS is what bringing the victorious song to Apple IPhones which stirred up another life for the company. It is a shame since the day Tim got it, and it Os has gone down the drain

8. audionewbi
    Sony soon will two way BT in all it’s vure and few upcoming daps as well as Shanling M5s.

9. Whitigir
    I see! So R2r2000 , LPGT, and N8 are all waiting for Trump tariff before release. Interesting ! Just kidding, it has been a long wait lol

10. musicday
    I have tried the R2R2000 but haven't the others. However i will really like to try the LPGT.

11. musicday
    Does your friend have any experience with the mighty Tera Player? That is a R2R WAV player only that sounds incredible for it's size, neutral with a black background, organic , analogue sound. Non-fatigue even after 7 hours non stop listening.

12. P.Car
    He just may as he has about 15 DAPs to choose from. I don't think he understands the concept of selling gear he doesn't use...

I will ask him if you are wondering how the two compare.

13. musicday
    Don't need to, thank you. I have heard them both and actually i own the Tera Player.
    I was just curious to know what he thinks about it, if he has/heard so much portable audio gear.

14. dhc0329
    My main concern with this player wasn't the buggy firmware which I know it will be improved as time progresses but short battery life and lack of skip button. Quite inconvenient to turn on the screen every time just to skip a track. Not sure they if they will redesign but it would've been perfect for me as I love the form factor.

quantumrush likes this.
  15. Cagin
    Levi my friend, I have caved in. I am getting it. The sound was still haunting me 2 months on now. I hope I'll be as tolerant of the bugs once I receive it if they don't fix them in the end.

First

Back
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last