= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #451 of 829
Do an image search for "computer fan grill".  This could get interesting 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #453 of 829
  Wow, didn't think computer fan grills would work...

So, is that an 80mm fan, or a 92mm or 120mm trimmed down?  The stock grills measure about 86mm.  There are some fun 80mm options out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turns out I have a couple old PSUs, so I removed the grills.  Looks like 80mm for a standard (pic'd above) type.  92mm would just have to be trimmed down.  Not sure if the fancy 80mm types like these 

http://stores.ebay.com/Inspired-Laser-Design/80mm-/_i.html?_fsub=4983761012

would work.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #454 of 829
That fan grill is cool. I might have to try it out

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #456 of 829
I'm looking at some funky acrylic laser cut grills, but need to hear back from the seller re: the actual diameter.

For anyone looking for relatively inexpensive honeycomb grills, here are a couple eBayers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92mm-Steel-Mesh-Fan-Filter-Guard-Black-Large-Hole-/250871242224

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92mm-Black-Large-Hole-Steel-Mesh-Fan-Filter-Guard-/270796387215

the 92mm should be trimmable down to ~85mm (stock grill size)

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #457 of 829
They definitely sound more open especially with the vocals. It's not a super drastic change but noticeable. The bass is just as nice as ever but because the mids sound airier I think the bass depth and impact has improved. I'm keeping this mod. Still no issues with dust

Thank you. I think im going to try the mod then.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #458 of 829
Thank you. I think im going to try the mod then.

You can get a sense of how it would sound just by taking the existing grills off

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #459 of 829
  You can get a sense of how it would sound just by taking the existing grills off

Good advice. I have some reservations about the quality/durability of the plastic mounting ring. Don't want to break it in the process. Any advice, besides the photos posted by Fang, in order to safely remove it?

Thank you!

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #460 of 829
  Good advice. I have some reservations about the quality/durability of the plastic mounting ring. Don't want to break it in the process. Any advice, besides the photos posted by Fang, in order to safely remove it?

Thank you!

Not really, it comes off quite easily and I just used my fingernails

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #461 of 829

Thank you!

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #462 of 829

Thank you!

I've removed those damn rings so many times I've lost count.  The first time can be the trickiest, just don't stress it.  Like spurxii, I just use my fingernails.  Gives you a better feel for the pressure being exerted, as opposed to using a "tool", which I've also used after just trimming my nails.

As for process, start at 3 o'clock and move slowly toward noon or 6.  The tabs are at about 1:30 and 4:30.  You may have to work your finger around the ring to loosen it up.  Once the first tab pops, the others should follow fairly easily.

Good luck.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #463 of 829
Took the grills off my HE400i's and I noticed on the silver grating underneath there is like white fingerprints, they look like a cross between smudges and paint.

Ill try and get a picture later, I wonder if it would be okay to clean this bit?

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #464 of 829
it is on both my HE-400 and HE-400i. probably not affecting anything, I personally wouldn't risk messing with things around the driver. If you are brave, let me know how it goes

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #465 of 829
  Took the grills off my HE400i's and I noticed on the silver grating underneath there is like white fingerprints, they look like a cross between smudges and paint.

Ill try and get a picture later, I wonder if it would be okay to clean this bit?

Mine has the same thing I believe (HE-500) and I also took a pic a long time ago with no response from anyone. I'd say just leave it, doesn't hurt to leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back