= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #406 of 829

I think you're going to need more supplies! 
wink.gif

Woah, got way more PMs than I expected. Unfortunately, I've run out of supplies (grills) and am not planning on getting more of them to produce grills. Sorry to all those I couldn't get these done for!

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #407 of 829
  can someone tell me what is the diameter required ?

thinking of buying this one.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-waffle-grill-swg-5.html

Hey, just wanted to ask if you happened to buy these and how it turned out :] thanks!

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #411 of 829
Well I did the mod and used a metal gutter mesh from home depo that was already in glossy black finish and used "organza" under as dust shield and guess what?
The dam rings don't fit and I have to file down the edges which will take time and I was impatient so just placed some glue on it to listen and it is almost like no grill sound. ..
So far I love the new look. .

Sprayed 3M glue the grill and place the organza fabric.

Comparison..

Nice and shiny :)

The new problem is I just realized I could have done the fuzzer mod as well..
Dam so much to do now..

But so far better sound :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #412 of 829
Well I did the mod and used a metal gutter mesh from home depo that was already in glossy black finish and used "organza" under as dust shield and guess what?
The dam rings don't fit and I have to file down the edges which will take time and I was impatient so just placed some glue on it to listen and it is almost like no grill sound. ..
So far I love the new look. .

Sprayed 3M glue the grill and place the organza fabric.

Comparison..

Nice and shiny
smily_headphones1.gif

The new problem is I just realized I could have done the fuzzer mod as well..
Dam so much to do now..

But so far better sound
smily_headphones1.gif

You can't exactly do the fuzzor mod in a classical way with HE560s, since the inner driver faces (where fuzzor really shines) don't actually have magnets. Instead, something like a grid-pattern diffuser layer might work...something I'm playing around with atm.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #413 of 829
You can't exactly do the fuzzor mod in a classical way with HE560s, since the inner driver faces (where fuzzor really shines) don't actually have magnets. Instead, something like a grid-pattern diffuser layer might work...something I'm playing around with atm.

Oh! sounds good!

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #414 of 829

Ooooh, hardly wait to hear about that one.

@Maxx134 - the only reason to put felt on the outside metal framework would be to hide said framework, if you don't like it being visible.  And IIRC, jerg tried it once, but undid it due to some negative effect he perceived.  I'd done it in the past on my HE-500s, but currently neither of my HFM cans are using it.  Too lazy at this point.

Must be the photos, but that organza looks crazy thick.  Trick of the lens and light, I reckon.  Good to hear you're hearing what I do with a similar setup: just about the same as "sans grills".

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #415 of 829
Ooooh, hardly wait to hear about that one.

@Maxx134
 - the only reason to put felt on the outside metal framework would be to hide said framework, if you don't like it being visible.  And IIRC, jerg tried it once, but undid it due to some negative effect he perceived.  I'd done it in the past on my HE-500s, but currently neither of my HFM cans are using it.  Too lazy at this point.

Must be the photos, but that organza looks crazy thick.  Trick of the lens and light, I reckon.  Good to hear you're hearing what I do with a similar setup: just about the same as "sans grills".

It looks thicker because I bought the shiny silver white :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #416 of 829
It looks thicker because I bought the shiny silver white
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't think about white.  I was all gung-ho for black.  Does the white hide the framework pretty well?  With the black, because the framework is shiny silver, it tends to shine through.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #417 of 829
That's something the HE-4 guys will want to know about as well!

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #418 of 829
That's without shipping, I think it's $10 shipping as well but probably not more for more quantity. I've got a hunch this is coming from overseas..

+1 yep

If someone orders extras, I'd be interested :3

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #419 of 829
I didn't think about white.  I was all gung-ho for black.  Does the white hide the framework pretty well?  With the black, because the framework is shiny silver, it tends to shine through.

Correct it very much hides the innards unless looking close you can see inside of course but at angle the very shiny silver finish glistens and highlights the black grill :)

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #420 of 829
Correct it very much hides the innards unless looking close you can see inside of course but at angle the very shiny silver finish glistens and highlights the black grill :)

I guess I am like a big trout, I like the shiny stuff, bling I guess :fishing_pole_and_fish: :smile:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back