= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #241 of 829
I
I was going to use a green grill on my HE400 but installed it, it would've been perfect with the blue.
id do it if the he500 was blue. At least, I'd use it on game days.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #243 of 829
Whats the best way to remove the retaining rings? I tried prying it out with a thin screwdriver at the 1030 and 130 positions but it wouldnt give. 

Didnt want to scratch anything. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #245 of 829
I used the letter tray mesh on the HE-6 and it's a very nice change of presentation. More speaker like. This, Denon angled pads and the felt mod has made an already world class headphone even better.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #247 of 829
  Why not order this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ

get some tin snips and a file (for thinning the edge).  That's all it takes.

Methodology
  • Use a stock grill to make a cut-out from some stiff cardboard
  • Use that cut-out and a Sharpie or other marker to trace the circle on the mesh
  • Snip it so it's just slightly too large (basically, follow the traced circle, but don't go too much inside the marker tracing)
  • Trim that with the snips and file until it fits
  • If you can't get the holding ring back in place easily, thin the edge (without reducing the size of the circle; so file straight out from the center)
  • If you want to attach a dust shield, organza is a nice fabric; could try spray adhesive (use a smaller circle cut-out such that the spray only gets on the outer part of the grill, rather than sticking the fabric to the entire grill surface), or maybe a glue stick.  I tried and can't recommend Super or Krazy glue or kids' glue like Modge Podge or whatever.  They will work, but can be messy.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, and @Nimzerz, get a pair of Q701 pads
wink.gif

I used this grill and put one on one side while the other side had stock grills.  Then I tested it using some mono tracks.  I could not hear any difference between stock grill and the new grill.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #248 of 829
That's definitely an odd way of testing sound difference... where'd you get the mono tracks and wouldn't you be killing soundstage, separation and depth by going mono tracks?
I used this grill and put one on one side while the other side had stock grills.  Then I tested it using some mono tracks.  I could not hear any difference between stock grill and the new grill.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #254 of 829
The new HE560 wooden cup doesn't have 4 tiny slots carved into its grill rim regions...there has to be some way of keeping the grill-retainment ring secure without having to resort to something permanent (wood glue).

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #255 of 829
You think maybe the units you guys got pre-release might be different in a sense they just glued the rings on vs notching the wood?
The new HE560 wooden cup doesn't have 4 tiny slots carved into its grill rim regions...there has to be some way of keeping the grill-retainment ring secure without having to resort to something permanent (wood glue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back