= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Feb 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #211 of 829
I think so, try it & have fun 
wink.gif
 The HE-400 cups should be smaller than 120mm.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #213 of 829
I used a sharp knife to cut it 
biggrin.gif

First, i used double side adhesive tap to stick the dust filter and the HE grill

Then I cut the mesh (not the dust filter yet). After finished the mesh, turned the dust filter side and cut it.

Note: I think the density of the dust filter is big enough for tiny dust get in so I replaced it with another fabric lately. 

Cheer

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #214 of 829
A few shots of the new grills.  I have a couple unpainted silver pairs (dust shield and open), but I can't resist the red 
darthsmile.gif

The last two are more to show off the AKG Q701 pads, but since the grills are visible, why not.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #215 of 829
I love what these mods do to make the headphones better whether it be making the sound better or making the headphone more comfratable. My only beef though is I would never mod my headphones for the fear if I resell they won't like the mod.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #216 of 829
  I love what these mods do to make the headphones better whether it be making the sound better or making the headphone more comfratable. My only beef though is I would never mod my headphones for the fear if I resell they won't like the mod.

I hear ya, but FWIW, all the mods I've done (grills, "fuzzor," pads)... all reversible 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #217 of 829
  A few shots of the new grills.  I have a couple unpainted silver pairs (dust shield and open), but I can't resist the red 
darthsmile.gif

The last two are more to show off the AKG Q701 pads, but since the grills are visible, why not.

Oh nice - you've probably answered this before, but where did you get the mesh for this? Id love to get a red grill going.  And what (if any) are you using as a dust protection?

I bought tin snips the other day, but having trouble finding nice looking mesh/grill at the local walmart and other similiar stores

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #218 of 829

Oh nice - you've probably answered this before, but where did you get the mesh for this? Id love to get a red grill going.  And what (if any) are you using as a dust protection?

I bought tin snips the other day, but having trouble finding nice looking mesh/grill at the local walmart and other similiar stores

Thanks.  Got the mesh from this guy:  http://www.customcargrills.com/   though I bought it through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ).  A 6" x 36" sheet was about $23 shipped.  It's non-magnetized, and much sturdier than the mesh from those pencil or letter holders (cheap, fliimsy, magnetized metal).  You can easily get four pairs out of it, and it's good to have extra material, since I trimmed one too finely and it turned out a bit too small.  I try to make the first cut a little large, then trim or file it down.  Filing down the thickness along the edge without reduce the diameter helps with getting the plastic holding rings back in.  Most mesh seems a little too thick without that thinning.

I use organza for the dust shield.  It's a very sheer fabric, readily available from any fabric store (got mine at a local Hancock Fabrics).  The trickiest part for me is attaching the fabric without making a gluey mess.  Lately I've tried Modge Podge (kids paste my wife had lying around).  It's water soluble.  Super Glue and the like are a PITA and not worth the effort, IMO.  I just bought some glue sticks at CVS, but haven't had time to try them.  If they prove sticky enough, they'll be the neatest way to go, and inexpensive.

HTH.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #220 of 829
It'll add to costs but you can get 3M adhesive spray at Home Depot/Lowes. Spray the inside of the mesh and place the fabric over it.

Man, sometimes I feel pretty stupid reading this forum 
wink.gif
  Thanks for the suggestion!  I think I have some photo mounting spray somewhere.  It would even be possible to spray only a specific portion of the outside edge by taping a smaller paper cutout obscuring most of the mesh.  That'd make it easier to remove the fabric, should one wish to do so.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #221 of 829
It'll add to costs but you can get 3M adhesive spray at Home Depot/Lowes. Spray the inside of the mesh and place the fabric over it.

But only spray a very light coat. Too much and you'll have visible specks of glue, especially if your grill cloth is black.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #222 of 829
Does it matter if the metal is magnetized? Will it interfere with the drivers? Thinking of grabbing this from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mesh-organizer-15-x-6-in-0421510p.html - not sure if all the interconnects are welded together though

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #223 of 829
  Does it matter if the metal is magnetized? Will it interfere with the drivers? Thinking of grabbing this from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mesh-organizer-15-x-6-in-0421510p.html - not sure if all the interconnects are welded together though

A good question.  If the mesh jerg pictures in the OP is anything like the very similar mesh I used previously, a lot of people are using magnetized metal.  To that end, I've never read any complaints about it.  I wonder if the stock grills are magnetized.  Too lazy to remove my new grills to find out, but something you might check, if you've removed them.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #225 of 829
  I thought that was one of the reasons you got that mesh from amazon? Heh - credit goes to you on that one. 

Nah, that was just luck.  If magnetized or non-magnetized makes no difference, non-magnetized wins for not being drawn to the driver.  The other major plus with the Custom Cargrills mesh is that it's a lot stronger while being more open than the cheap mesh.  I can only take credit for sharing 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back