= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Feb 14, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #227 of 829
  Anyone got any left over mesh they want to get rid of (sell)? Long as I have enough to make 2 grills then that'll do, 3 preferably for errors but 2 is ok. LMK

+1, or anyone willing to send me a pair of cut grills from their spare mesh? PLS?

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #228 of 829
Why not order this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ

get some tin snips and a file (for thinning the edge).  That's all it takes.

Methodology
  • Use a stock grill to make a cut-out from some stiff cardboard
  • Use that cut-out and a Sharpie or other marker to trace the circle on the mesh
  • Snip it so it's just slightly too large (basically, follow the traced circle, but don't go too much inside the marker tracing)
  • Trim that with the snips and file until it fits
  • If you can't get the holding ring back in place easily, thin the edge (without reducing the size of the circle; so file straight out from the center)
  • If you want to attach a dust shield, organza is a nice fabric; could try spray adhesive (use a smaller circle cut-out such that the spray only gets on the outer part of the grill, rather than sticking the fabric to the entire grill surface), or maybe a glue stick.  I tried and can't recommend Super or Krazy glue or kids' glue like Modge Podge or whatever.  They will work, but can be messy.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, and @Nimzerz, get a pair of Q701 pads
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #230 of 829
Can someone comment on the sonic benefits on the HE-400. I've gone through 6 pages and see people saying "the benefits are exactly what you'd expect them to be" or "the benefits fall right in line with the HE-400 benefits" but for the life of me I cant find the post that details the sonic differences. Also, has anyone attempted to leave the felt star on? How did that compare to full mod?

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #231 of 829
Can someone comment on the sonic benefits on the HE-400. I've gone through 6 pages and see people saying "the benefits are exactly what you'd expect them to be" or "the benefits fall right in line with the HE-400 benefits" but for the life of me I cant find the post that details the sonic differences. Also, has anyone attempted to leave the felt star on? How did that compare to full mod?

What felt star? Only hfm hps that had that were the he4 and I believe the 5le or 5. Don't remember any 400s having it. The 4 I took it off before regrilling. As far as regrill on the 400 goes, it just adds a tad bit of air. Nothing remarkable, you can tell, but its very subtle, just like a lot of mods. But, it looks good!

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #232 of 829

What felt star? Only hfm hps that had that were the he4 and I believe the 5le or 5. Don't remember any 400s having it. The 4 I took it off before regrilling. As far as regrill on the 400 goes, it just adds a tad bit of air. Nothing remarkable, you can tell, but its very subtle, just like a lot of mods. But, it looks good!

I haven't actually opened mine, so I wouldn't know if there was any. Just assumed there was by other posts.
Hmmm, would like to gather more impressions, I don't know if it's worth removing the dust filter for a little more air.

I like mods too, and I would definitely wouldn't mind a grill with larger hex holes like the the one thrustor got, but in a natural brushed style

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #233 of 829
Theres no felt, just driver. If you want to test it, just pop the rings off, remove the grill and listen wide open for a bit. Itll take maybe 2 minutes to do, just use something like a credit card to pop the 4 tabs off, be careful, but i still have yet to break a tab, many others havnt been so lucky.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #235 of 829
  I haven't actually opened mine, so I wouldn't know if there was any. Just assumed there was by other posts.
Hmmm, would like to gather more impressions, I don't know if it's worth removing the dust filter for a little more air.

I like mods too, and I would definitely wouldn't mind a grill with larger hex holes like the the one thrustor got, but in a natural brushed style

You mean like brushed aluminum?  You can always create the brushed look yourself, or try the reverse side, which has a different look/texture than the normal outward facing side.  You could also spray paint it to your preference.

One thing that's nice about the larger hex holes is getting more "air" while still being able to use a dust shield.  The shield is pretty much mandatory in my house.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #236 of 829

You mean like brushed aluminum?  You can always create the brushed look yourself, or try the reverse side, which has a different look/texture than the normal outward facing side.  You could also spray paint it to your preference.

One thing that's nice about the larger hex holes is getting more "air" while still being able to use a dust shield.  The shield is pretty much mandatory in my house.

I was going to do the brushing myself, All it takes is a little scotch brite. Do it all the time to get scratches of my watch bracelets.
But if the mod really isn't for anything but the looks, I can hold off on it for a while.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #237 of 829
I'm considering getting the custom car grill, I'm still undecided on what color to spray-paint them.  Would a red grill or a orange grill match better with the dark blue HE-400 cups?

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #238 of 829
Instead of orange use green :) haha, GO SEAHAWKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back