HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Jul 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #166 of 271

Quote:
Has anyone used the RE252 amped?

Quote:
They don't really need much to drive them.  You will notice very little difference between amping and not.  You will always experience at least a tiny change due to more headroom available to driver the earphones, but there are a lot of other earphones out there that need a heck of a lot more power to get them to 100%.  The RE252 is easy to get there.

A benefit you can get from amping, at least with a more expensive amp, is a good integrated DAC.  This can help a lot when playing through a laptop for example where either the audio quality is only so-so or there is a relatively high noise floor from the electronics.  The RE252 is also one of the most sensitive earphones to the quality of the source that I've used.  They sound much worse on poor audio devices and playing low bitrate songs.  It goes to show how much info they actually portray in the audio and how much they can scale to the quality of what comes into them.  When crap goes in, crap comes out, so be careful and make the extra effort.  It's an earphone worthy enough to probably step away from your little E5, not because of a need for more power but because you have the opportunity to hear audio better than you can now.  I also know your RE0 will benefit more from an increase in wattage.  There are a number of earphones out there that can make good use of a good bit more power.  The RE0 is one of them.

Quote:
That's what I thought too when I plugged my RE252 into the Pico Slim for the first time today.  Besides the standard amping benefits, I noticed almost no difference.  But, there is a slight increase in room, like you mentioned, and clarity which is good.  RE0 had more benefits, but it kinda led me to the idea of even amped, in terms of engaging and fun, the RE0 still falls short to the RE252.

The RE252 are not very hard to drive, and I can enjoy them un-amped, unlike the RE2 which I feel need a warm sounding amp.  However, like mvw2 says, the better the source and amp, the better the sound.  

While the RE252 sound very nice out of my iPhone 4 headphone jack right now, there is still a noticeable improvement when I switch to my Cablepro Earcandy Lite LOD and Pico Slim amp to drive them.  No doubt about it.  It's not a huge change; but the sound becomes a little more refined and less edgy, the bass extension seems a little deeper, and the soundstage is also slightly bigger.  I tried a few songs just now both ways, listening to B.o.B. "Don't Let Me Fall" and Bella Sonus "From a Standstill", or Blind Pilot "3 Rounds and a Sound".

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #167 of 271
I noticed when amped, and this is how I actually found the difference, was when I was listening to Billy Talent - Diamond on the landmine, when the piano keys started to play, I could hear them more clearly, and hear the echo as they faded away a lot more prominent over the unamped RE252.  Which is why I think the RE-Zero may use the RE252 drivers, from what I've read, it seems the RE-Zero are right in between the two.  But, the sound characteristics sound more RE252, less treble, more mids and bass.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #168 of 271
Hi!
My RE-252 have been sitting in the dust for a while (literally) since I bought my SM3. But today, I plugged them into my Musiland SVDAC05 dac and what I hear is really excellent! They have a better clarity than even modified SM3 (foam replaced) and still show no single evidence of harshness/siblance (which is not the case for the SM3).
With a slight bass boost (around 50-100hz), they have plenty of slam and the decay is about perfect. IE8 sound like mud in comparison, and even the SM3 are slower and have a bit too much decay for my taste.
They have much more space in their presentation than the SM3, but at the same time, they cannot convey the same depht. The treble is excellent, too. Not agressive at all, but not recessed either. Just about perfect!
I am seriously considering selling my SM3 and enjoying my RE-252 that I bought second hand for a quarter of the price of the SM3! However, the RE-252 do not give their best when plugged into my portable players (D2+ and Clip+). So they would need a good amp to shine, and I'm not sure I'm wanting to carry a big amp with my Clip.
Nonetheless, I am still as impressed as the first day I got them!

Great Job, Hifiman, really looking forward to the new RE-262, but unfortunately, they will almost certainly need an amp to shine.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #169 of 271
I had the craziest dream where I bought a pair of RE252s. Is this a sign? Will I now be powerless to purchase these as I have in my dream? Hell no...I have too many IEMs already...lol

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #170 of 271
Honestly, if they had a little more bass quantity (quality is superb), they would outperform the SM3 in my book. Listening to them A-B, I notice that the SM3 have a kind of gap somewhere in the upper mids, and when I remove the filters so that the upper mids are not recessed anymore, the sound is way too harsh to be enjoyable, imo. The RE-252 are so much smoother.

Really, they are very, very good!
L3000.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #171 of 271
Hope so, cos I've just bought Dfkt's pair he was selling, after reading your comments mate!

Quote:
Honestly, if they had a little more bass quantity (quality is superb), they would outperform the SM3 in my book. Listening to them A-B, I notice that the SM3 have a kind of gap somewhere in the upper mids, and when I remove the filters so that the upper mids are not recessed anymore, the sound is way too harsh to be enjoyable, imo. The RE-252 are so much smoother.

Really, they are very, very good!
L3000.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #172 of 271
Woo, Benny! You're putting to much pressure on me mate
biggrin.gif

If you don't mind less bass quantity than SM3 (and I guess you don't, as you enjoy the Ety HF5), you should like them. I am really looking forward to your impressions compared to your Etys.
Hope you'll like them
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #173 of 271
To quote the immortal David Brent: "Pressure - not as easy as it looks..."
blink.gif

I will certainly be doing a detailed comparison with my HF5s once the 252s arrive, and will most definitely report back for your back-slapping / face-punching (delete as appropriate).

So, you gonna sell those beloved SM3s like I did, do you think?

Quote:
Woo, Benny! You're putting to much pressure on me mate
biggrin.gif

If you don't mind less bass quantity than SM3 (and I guess you don't, as you enjoy the Ety HF5), you should like them. I am really looking forward to your impressions compared to your Etys.
Hope you'll like them
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #174 of 271
Mmhh, not quite sure at the moment.  It's hard to say. As with my IE8, I went through love and hate periods, and finally decided to keep them (my IE8). Anyway, I would not get much from selling them, so I'll rather stick to them for the moments I'm in the mood.
For the SM3, it's another story, as here in belgium/france, I could sell them for a good price. But still, I really love(d) them and think I still do. It's just that I noticed that the RE-252 do several things...would I dare to say better?
Anyway, I certainly won't take a hasty decision. And I'm fed up with my obsession I confess
angry_face.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #175 of 271
I'm enjoying my RE252 for months, I admit that I like more (not so much, just a bit) the shure SE530 but I'm surprised to read that a couple of user do prefer the hifiman to the "great" SM3.
I haven't listen to the Earsonic, I'm very curious but it's hard to believe that my little puppies could be as good as the SM3. Not only for the hype around the earsonic but for the price too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #176 of 271
Well, the SM3 does several things better too, but it comes down to personnal preference. For instance, if one values clarity without harshness above all, the RE-252 are certainly a better bet. Now, if you prefer a more "in your face" presentation with more warmth, the SM3 are better.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #177 of 271
Just bought a pair of 252
jecklinsmile.gif
(Here's to hoping nothing goes wrong tomorrow with the paypal transaction)

I wanna say a big/heartfelt  thanx to wmv2,joker,mark2410 for putting up with my annoying pm's and helping me figure out what to buy

You guys ****ing ROCK !!!

Cheers

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #178 of 271
Giving my IEMs a whirl again.  I completely forgot about 252's haze.  Wonderful soundstage, too, but sounds like two blobs that smoosh together a bit in the center, but it has good depth and precision.  Kind of sensitive as well, the soundstage varies a bit with music.

My MTPC's bass makes my Hifimans shatter like glass, lol.  They also bring out subtle voices and nuances that 252 covers up, though not to the point of throwing off the music's balance; I think it's the haze that covers some things up, not sure.

I'm still using the Monster gel Supertips on my 252s - they bring out detail and tighten up and refine the sound from bass to treble and even add a bit of richness to the sound.  Wonderful little upgrade.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #179 of 271
The MTPC must be significantly different than the MTPG, because the Gold is a relatively muddy earphone.  I've owned the RE252 and MTPG at the same time.  The RE252's bass is heavily dependent on the seal, and that's tough to do without switching to foam tips.  I ran TX-500 tips on mine.  If you want bass, the seal needs to be there.  Yes, the MTPG has more, but it's not oh my god there's so much bass.  The MTPG to me is not a bass heavy earphone.  It was surprisingly well controlled on the low end and constrained enough not to overwhelm the mids which showed through surprisingly well.  I also had the UM3X at the time, again an earphone that has a dominant bass response that is dead flat all the way down.  The RE252 with a solid seal even against those is enough.  Is it lean?  Slightly, but it was just a little bit, and it had a surprising amount of visceral impact that most other earphones simply don't offer.  The RE252 is well balanced.  I also consider the MTPG balanced too.  The RE252 has a slight mid + treble emphasis (slightly lean bottom end).  The MTPG has a slight bass and mid emphasis(smoothed off, laid back top end).  For how bass heavy people claim the MTPG to be and that the Copper has a bit less, I would expect the Copper to be a little lean like the RE252.  If you feel the MTPC has more bass than the RE252, I would guess there is a seal issue with the RE252.  The stock tips really don't work well enough.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #180 of 271
MTPC has never been lean like 252 despite whatever tips I use.  Yes, I am getting a good seal, the Monster supertips are best and I get a good seal with them on 252 - without a good seal, they are too lean but with the Supertips they have full-sounding, more detailed bass.  Also, I'm using Sony hybrids with the MTPC, which brings out bass very slightly.  =p
I've never heard the MTPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back