HiFiMan RE-ZERO vs. Fischer Audio Eterna vs. Panasonic HJE900
Sep 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nonamebrand

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I need your help on picking an IEM. My most listened to genre of music is rock. I do enjoy listening to rock with my SR-225i. I enjoy the "in your face" sound. I really like how the electric guitars sound on Grados. The other type of music I occasionally listen to is electronic. I prefer to use HD 25-1-II for that genre of music. 

I'll be driving these straight from my Sansa Fuze. 

What are your suggestions?

Thanks. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 12
straight from the fuze the eterna sounds magnificent, its stage isnt wide, but it does a really great job of stage FORWARD, in front of you.  Immersion is the word to use, i guess

its 10/10 value for everything but design, its made to loop over your ear

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 12
If you want an in your face sound, I'd suggest the HJE900s. Neither the re-zero or the eterna has that exciting sound you're likely looking for. The eterna especially will sound lacking in treble for a grado lover, and the re-zero is damned inconvenient to use thanks to being balanced, and requiring that ridiculous adapter.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 12
HJE900 is really in your face if that's what you are into. Pretty quick bass, recessed(not as bad as Triple Fi) mids and slightly harsh but very lively highs. No comment on the soundstage as I've yet to hear an IEM with comparable headroom to my HD 600.

If RE-ZERO sounds anything like RE-0 it's more a vocal/classical/jazz phone than anything and you can forget about wearing them down as they have some of the worst microphonic cable I have heard. HJE900's cable is really good.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
HJE900 is really in your face if that's what you are into. Pretty quick bass, recessed(not as bad as Triple Fi) mids and slightly harsh but very lively highs. No comment on the soundstage as I've yet to hear an IEM with comparable headroom to my HD 600.

If RE-ZERO sounds anything like RE-0 it's more a vocal/classical/jazz phone than anything and you can forget about wearing them down as they have some of the worst microphonic cable I have heard. HJE900's cable is really good.

What IEM have you heard that sounds closest to your HD 600s in all respects?

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
What IEM have you heard that sounds closest to your HD 600s in all respects?

From what I read IE7 should be close to HD 600, but I've yet to try that. Out of those that I have tried, none of them are super close to HD600 as I tend to aim for a different signature. But if you force me to give you a name then I'd probably say RE0 but it has sharper, less refined highs; less bass; drier mids and more confusing soundstage.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the replies guys. So the RE-ZERO is out. It's a battle between the Eterna and HJE900. I found the HJE900 for $89.99. http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPHJE900/ . I like hard, fun, in your face music. Which one would deliver that better?

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 12
don't have any experience with either one, but from what i've read the hje900 should be superior, but a lot more fatiguing due to a spiked treble. Be sure to try the foam mod if you get them.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 12
I actual just purchase the hje 900 and is currently comparing that with my re0.  So far, I am very please with the instrument separation and the clarity of the 900.  It is not too far behind the re0.  The 900 also have stronger and more impactful bass. For 5 dollar more, I really think 900 is the a great deal.  

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Different strokes for different folks.  I own the RE-ZERO and Eterna (v1).  I have yet to use the HJE900 but will probably buy a pair to try out within the next coupe weeks.

From my use of the other two and from reviews of the HJE900, I would also lean you towards the HJE900.  The RE-ZERO is great if you are mostly focused on midrange and highs.  The bass is a bit light, a little in sensitivity and a little in note thickness.  The Eterna is well balanced but with some bass emphasis.  It's overall SQ is a partial step down, but it has good fun factor and the enveloping presentation isn't common to come by.  The Eterna has a good sense of space and locational cues.  It has a clean sound yet laid back and not super detailed.  Both of these earphones offer different things.  From reviews, it seems the HJE900 would offer more of everything.  I will also lean you to the Klipsch Custom 3 as a great option.  It is another earphone that offers a lot.  Until owning the HJE900 myself, I can't tell you what's better, but I've used most of the high end universals out there, and the Custom 3 is really only a half step down from the best.  I wish I could tell you how the HJE900 stands up, but I just haven't used a pair yet.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the RE-Zero and it is all about the tips.  Since I got the Sony Hybrid Silicon tips the RE series really shines!  It brings the bass to fulfilling levels and the detail is incredible.  The mids are more forward than the RE-0.  I listened to some remastered live Zep and Doors and the voices are amazing.  The crowd noise and band placement is something that needs to be heard to believe.  I must stress that these IEMs shine based on the quality of the audio you put on them.  The bass goes to all levels and has some good impact.

If you blast the IEMs too loud some of the treble can be a bit siblant.

I don't know about the complaint of the adapter since the flexible one is only a few inches long and no inconvenient in anyway.  If the source is good, the sound stage is good.  Many have said that the RE-Zero might be the best IEM that doesn't require an amp.

With the RE-Zero its all in the details.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Many have said that the RE-Zero might be the best IEM that doesn't require an amp.

No IEM should require an amp...
Sort of defeats the entire idea behind portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back