HiFiMAN RE-ZERO Review
Jul 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #31 of 58

Quote:
so what i got from this is that the re-zeros are pointless. seems you prefer the re0 where the two differ.

no i cant say i prefer either especially.  think maybe one is diet coke and the other is coke zero (coke ZERO, lol) theyre are both really close to each other, a similar taste but different and neither is definitively better than the other. 

Quote:
awww...it is a cable type adapter...and here i thought my decision between re0 and re-zero was decided...deng it.........

oh take the ZERO, for 20 bucks if you dont you will always wonder what if

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #32 of 58
Nice review, Mark. Can't comment on the RE0 comparison as I don't have mine anymore but from an outside perspective that's exactly what they sound like.

As for the adapter, it looks far better than the non-cable type one that I've got except that it makes me wonder about the utility of having two right-angle plugs. Seems like there will always be a kink in the cable a few inches from the player. Minor gripe though, I am sure the adapter will stay in my pocket all of the time.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 58

Quote:
"no i cant say i prefer either especially.  think maybe one is diet coke and the other is coke zero (coke ZERO, lol) theyre are both really close to each other, a similar taste but different and neither is definitively better than the other. "

i still think RE-Zero is better than RE0, i might be lazy in doing a full review and compare all areas, but my ears told me different story as that particular jazz song i used for comparison show RE0 having trouble to separate the details in that 5 or 10 sec. and i did go over and over again to make sure i wasnt delusional

later i finally listen the same song using TF10, at the exact same place my TF10 has same trouble like my RE0 in trying to separate the details. that to me means RE-Zero is a better phone. i didnt wanna elaborate back then but i did leave trace mentioning about TF10 performance and nothing further to add(TF10 is a phone proved it self and so does RE0, they both deserve place in head-fiers' collection ) . i guess i was trying to avoid stir things up with TF10 supporter~ after all i have no intention to do a full comparison between the two and wasnt trying to. but i express clearly how i felt about all three earphones clearly.

still i respect every one's opinion~ the only reason i chip in more now is because i realize me playing safe now could hurt my creditibility.... any way, hope mark and joker understand why i hold different opinion. the rest is history : )

P.S:  the jazz song i used for comparison is "Club des Belugas - Swop" when i have time i will try go back and find the exact time of the song where i heard difference.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #35 of 58
Ive been listening to my thinksound rains for a while now. These have a fun sound, more mid bass quantity, more color, bright but a little sibilant.
After purchasing the RE-ZERO today i decide to put the RE0s on again. Compared to the Rains the RE0s sounded a little dry on my walkman, but after a while when i became more accustomed to the different sound signature that velvety sound of the mids to highs and the amazing bass detail reminded my why i like the RE0s so much.
If the ZERo has a little more bass and are more balanced to the mids, this may be more of what i like on the RE0s. we will see !
I will compare the ZERO with the RE0 on my walkman when i receive them and post my opinion.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 58
[size=10pt]It seems the RE0 and the ZERO sound about the same so I'm torn between the two.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]I will be using one of them with a Cowon J3 with no amp.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Will the J3 be powerful enough to make the RE0 perform at full potential with its higher impedance or does it need an amp?[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]I like the fact that the ZERO has lower impedance but the whole balanced input and adapter really turns me off.[/size]

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 58
The issue here is that they say that the only thing they changed in this model ( Re Zero ) is the cable (silver). Anything else is the same but the cable in BALANCED mode. I just bought one now.  Thanks for the information you gave us.

Edit, I forgot the lower impedance, this changes a little bit the driver.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #38 of 58

Quote:
oh take the ZERO, for 20 bucks if you dont you will always wonder what if

yeah very true....but i usually go for used equipment... its all about reusing/recycling (Go GREEN!!!)  and RE0's can be had for about 60 give or take a few bucks.   that and I'm trying to save for a k701/k702 with heed canamp setup AND a pa2v2 am for some newly acquired sr60i's.  and saving that 40 or so is enough for a pa2v2

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 58

Quote:
Nice review, Mark. Can't comment on the RE0 comparison as I don't have mine anymore but from an outside perspective that's exactly what they sound like.

As for the adapter, it looks far better than the non-cable type one that I've got except that it makes me wonder about the utility of having two right-angle plugs. Seems like there will always be a kink in the cable a few inches from the player. Minor gripe though, I am sure the adapter will stay in my pocket all of the time.

I didn't even think of that.... two right angles since the adapter has a right angle... which would definately be weird to look at...probably shoulda left the cable for the re-zero's straight and have the adapter with the right angle.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #40 of 58

Quote:
yeah very true....but i usually go for used equipment... its all about reusing/recycling (Go GREEN!!!)  and RE0's can be had for about 60 give or take a few bucks.   that and I'm trying to save for a k701/k702 with heed canamp setup AND a pa2v2 am for some newly acquired sr60i's.  and saving that 40 or so is enough for a pa2v2

true, you could always toss  a coin as getting either isnt going to be something to regret.

or just get both

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 58
It isn't completely clear from what's in this thread...  Is the adapter that comes with RE-ZERO the big plastic piece or the smaller cable type?

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #42 of 58
Smaller cable type, now.

I spent some time listening to the RE-Zeros last night, and I must say, they are very, very nice phones and detail monsters. I used both my new ZuneHD amped via HP out and the T3, and amped via LOD/Touch and the T3. I also listened to them without an amp, and while they still sound good, the T3 gives them a little more depth and body, if those are the right words. Either way, they are an excellent value and another fine IEM from Head-Direct. I do have a little trouble with the rubbery cables and the shirt clip. The cables don't relax, so they end up rubbing/bumping into my face somewhat. I guess I should try them over the hear.

I settled on some smaller UE single flange tips, which have large sound tubes, and they work very well. I also used some Complys, but they seem to muffle the highs a bit.

Either way, the RE-Zeros are very fine, mid/high focused IEMs. Not that bass is MIA, but they are not bassy phones, much in keeping with the HD IEM M.O. I would write a proper review, but I don't have the review chops of some fellow HFers. I know Joker is going to review them at some point.

As a comparison, I then listened to the DBA-02s, which to me are still preferable to the RE-Zeros, but it's close. I think the DBAs just deliver a more overall musical sound, fuller and richer, across all frequencies. But having both is very very nice. I would say the RE-Zeros do outperform the Ety MC5s, which I also have, but the Etys are less expensive and are much sturdier and offer better iso.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the RE-Zero.

Oh, and the adapter, the new cable based one, is fine. No weird static noise, like the block adapter that I initially received.

Of course, I would love to hear them through the new HD portable balanced amp coming out as a partner to these phones.

Update:

Over the ear solved the microphonics issue.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #44 of 58

Quote:
It isn't completely clear from what's in this thread...  Is the adapter that comes with RE-ZERO the big plastic piece or the smaller cable type?

i got both with mine, i prefer to use the adapter i have fitted.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #45 of 58
I guess you get both adapters which is nice. You get to choose which one to use :)

I got these in the mail today and I found a very nice surprise today. Straight out of the 3.5mm output from my dac I don't need the balanced adapter.I'm not sure how but I tried it with the adapter and it sounded the same :) It doesn't work on the 1/4inch adapter after I put in the 1/4 to 3.5mm that is but I guess it is better than nothing.

edit: is it just me or is the cable on the Zero better than the one on the RE0? I don't have them anymore so it's based on memory.

Also around how much burn in is the 'sweet spot' on these? They are pretty much right out of the box for me so hopefully the bass gets a bit better over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back