HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #46 of 301
i asked this in the other re-400 thread, but this one seems more active:

just curious, i ordered my re-400's today and i was wondering if they respond well to amping or not. thinking about buying a cmoy but maybe it's an unnecessary expenditure given that i only use iem's other than my sennheisers i use for the xbox.

With amping (vs straight out of an ipod classic) the bass has a bit more control and the soundstage is slightly bigger. The difference is subtle IMO.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #47 of 301
Quote:
With amping (vs straight out of an ipod classic) the bass has a bit more control and the soundstage is slightly bigger. The difference is subtle IMO.

that sounds like it'd be worth it still. i'm considering the jds labs cmoybb 2.03 because it has a bass boost and even though i assume the re-400 will have enough bass for me, it'd be nice to have the option of a little bump there if i feel it's necessary.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #48 of 301
I'm using iPhone or iPhone+HP-P1 with RE-400. There are noticeable differences in SQ.

They are easy to drive, but will have better image, clarity, and more texture and control for bass if amped. However, these differences may not be easily noticed on the go

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #49 of 301
Quote:
I'm using iPhone or iPhone+HP-P1 with RE-400. There are noticeable differences in SQ.

They are easy to drive, but will have better image, clarity, and more texture and control for bass if amped. However, these differences may not be easily noticed on the go

i mostly listen at home anyway, but sounds like an amp would be pretty useful.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #50 of 301
I'm hoping mine arrive today. I've heard they do benefit from an amp, although my portable setup is a bit cumbersome to carry to work everyday. Will post here again when I hear it through my clip+ and also the CLAS -dB + SR71-B + iPhone

All the positive praise / reviews here have made me impatient!

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #51 of 301
i see on the recent images here, someone posted a setup with the re-400 connected to a clip zip and a cmoy amp, which is what my setup would be exactly. would be nice if they popped up and could tell me whether or not the cmoy makes a big difference.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #54 of 301
Quote:
i asked this in the other re-400 thread, but this one seems more active:

just curious, i ordered my re-400's today and i was wondering if they respond well to amping or not. thinking about buying a cmoy but maybe it's an unnecessary expenditure given that i only use iem's other than my sennheisers i use for the xbox.

well it certainly benefits from an amp, the difference isnt huge but its wortth trying

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #57 of 301
Wow. To bad. I like The sound signature of The gr7. Though i read somewhere that The gr6 was gr7 light. So there doesn't exist a gr7be at sub 100€. Was hoping for the re400. If none exist, maybe hope that re 400s bass is good enough for me

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #59 of 301
So I've had the 400's for over a week now.    The only supplied tips that work for me are the large bi-flanges but I wish they came in a medium size, then they would be perfect, but even though they're too big, I can manage, with much manipulation, to get them into my ears.   Once in, they sound great, but they definitely feel a bit too large so I got some Sony Hybrids along with some Comply T-400's to try out.   The medium Sony's fit, but they just didn't sound right.   It seemed that the upper mids through the top end was attenuated and the only thing I could think that was causing this was the smaller opening at the tip as compared to the large bi-flanges that came with the 400's.........so, Sony's were out. 

Next I tried the T-400's.   The mediums fit really well, but while they didn't attenuate the upper mids, the definitely attenuated the top end.    I saw the vid that was posted up over at InnerFidelity and applied that technique, but it still really cut off the top end.   The 400's are already on the warm side, so this is not going to work for me.

I've heard that the TS-400's may be just the ticket since it's been reported that they have the least affect on sound performance as compared to the T-400's.    Thoughts?   I haven't tried them yet but wanted to get a bit of input first.

I really want to get the performance that I get out of the stock large bi-flanges, but just want them to be a bit more comfortable without changing the sound sig of the 400's.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #60 of 301
I have the same issue, sorry for no help on TS-400s since I haven't heard them

but now I am enjoying the mid size tips from my B&W C5
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back