HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Sep 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #241 of 489
Eke26K, what tips have you been using?

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #242 of 489
Quote:
As for the bass quantity, I can see myself easily adjusting to it. Listening to Drake's 'Look What You've Done,' I don't find them lacking at all. This is really a wholesome phone.

Try sony hybrids and Meier Audio Stepdance (bring out the deep low end).

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #243 of 489
Quote:
Try sony hybrids and Meier Audio Stepdance (bring out the deep low end).

I can try the hybrids, but not the Stepdance 
redface.gif

Quote:
Eke26K, what tips have you been using?

The stock tips just happened to seal perfectly. I have other tips that could fit the nozzle, but I haven't had a need to pull them out.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #244 of 489
Quote:

I can try the hybrids, but not the Stepdance 
redface.gif

Try some narrow bore thick flanges then. That should accentuate the bass response.

Stepdance runs it in balanced mode and the bass goes really deep.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #246 of 489
Quote:
Try some narrow bore thick flanges then. That should accentuate the bass response.

Stepdance runs it in balanced mode and the bass goes really deep.

Will it have any effect on the mids and highs? I think the frequency balance is pretty good as is.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #247 of 489
Quote:

Will it have any effect on the mids and highs? I think the frequency balance is pretty good as is.

Just try it out and settle for what you prefer. I didn't find any adverse effect on mids or highs.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #248 of 489
Quote:

The stock tips just happened to seal perfectly. I have other tips that could fit the nozzle, but I haven't had a need to pull them out.

Over ear?

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #250 of 489
I resorted to Complys and a specific MeElec tip, worn down. Gonna break RE-272 out again and recheck seal with the included tips.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #251 of 489
Funny you did this comparison as i always put face,slim body and great 'rear system' as much more important in a woman's looks as  something as overrated as a large 'chest'

and yeah re-272 are my fav iems and i find someone just wanting BASS a bit - i don't know missing out everything about music ?

for up to 250$ i don't think there are many (if any) better iems out there - and if there are oh please do let me know about them

Quote:
I finally got to hear these babies.

If I were to draw what I'm hearing in the form of a human being, I'd draw an extremely beautiful but flat-chested woman.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #252 of 489
Quote:
Funny you did this comparison as i always put face,slim body and great 'rear system' as much more important in a woman's looks as  something as overrated as a large 'chest'

What the ...

Very funny.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #253 of 489
More thoughts on the RE272.

Mids and highs are beautiful. However, the lack of volume and extension in the low end is slightly annoying when I'm listening to some tracks that I know have a very nice bass guitar line in there. It sometimes feels like 1/3 of the song is missing.

Here's how I feel the bass response: On my GR07 and ASG-1, I can feel the sub-bass rumble at and below my jawbone. One some tracks, it's like I'm feeling my chest vibrate. With the RE272, I never feel the bass below my earlobes, if that makes any sense at all 
redface.gif
. For me, it constricts the soundstage to the top half of my skull, without much reach down into the lower half. However, what I'm noticing is a lot of air between instruments due to the phenomenal treble extension, plus it works magic for vocals. On the track below, the guitar and violin seem to float in the air around you while the vocals just hover in the air in front of you, haunting and beautiful.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #254 of 489
Trance is also otherworldly on these if you don't need a lot of bass. The mids and treble almost carry the song, plus these tracks usually have boosted bass, which means increased bass response on the 272. What makes it so great is the soundstage. Gotye's "Making Mirrors" album sounds fantastic on these.

My Fiio E10's bass boost also seems to fill out the range nicely.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #255 of 489
I'd suggest investing in Stepdance if you can get a good deal in FS thread. You will have little to no reason to complain about bass then.

I remember that right off the FUZE+, FI-BA-SB sounds like a loose cannon. With stepdance it gains a lot more control and definition.

RE272 benefits the same way. A lot more meat at the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back