Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,547 of 3,507
My sense of humor amp must've been defective since it crapped out after hearing that same joke after the 17th time this thread.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,549 of 3,507
Quote:
"except for the re-600 which we have deliberately inflated to allow golden eared audiophiles to torture their wallets in the manner to which they have become accustomed. Wouldn't want to rock their boat now."

Joke or not, there's absolutely some truth in that. But that's just how the system is designed. Like trying to fill a bucket with water when there is a hole in the bottom... and many aren't aware of the hole, so they keep pouring the water in.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,550 of 3,507
Well... for those poor bastards who are incapable of controlling their expenditure habits, blaming them on the perceived "greed" of manufacturers, tough **** for them. Keep going through life blaming your bad habits on others.

For those who are mature enough to make intelligent purchasing decisions (i.e. understanding that no product is ever shoved down your throats), exists Head-Fi.org and this thread.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,552 of 3,507
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,553 of 3,507
I would still love to hear the RE 600. After reading a couple of reviews it sounds like it may be worth it....but the 400 is so good. I reread some of the earlier filter changes on this site back around pages 33-39 or so. I still hear some bright upper peaks on some female vocals and george strait for example. So I made my own secondary black filter from the thinnest stretchy double knit. cut it to fit in the nozzle directly over the mini foam circle and reinstalled the original filter. First thing I noticed was they sound a touch more relaxed, all my brighter stuff was easier to listen too. Next that upper peak seamed slightly smoothed and with it a hint more detail in that region and not really a warmer sound but a sense of ease that warmer sound tends to impart to the sound. Subtle improvement on imaging and a hint better layering. Put a few punchy bass guitar and drum tunes on and a hint more snap to the bass. Not a big deal all in all but enough to make me say no way to the T-Peos H 200's. I think on an absolute basis the 400 need a touch more bass. So I flip in the EQ on my Neco and wah lah. I have been following the Caradas Ear Mirror and am not convinced yet. I have read a few comparison of headfiers I trust and thus decided the RE 400 and the T-peos are not that far apart in performance. So where does that leave me. I want a refrence pair of earbuds and am not prepared to go custom. So I will just follow the thread and see what the consensus is on the 600's. No hurry the 400's make me smile:wink:::etysmile:

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,554 of 3,507
Quote:
I would still love to hear the RE 600. After reading a couple of reviews it sounds like it may be worth it....but the 400 is so good. I reread some of the earlier filter changes on this site back around pages 33-39 or so. I still hear some bright upper peaks on some female vocals and george strait for example. So I made my own secondary black filter from the thinnest stretchy double knit. cut it to fit in the nozzle directly over the mini foam circle and reinstalled the original filter. First thing I noticed was they sound a touch more relaxed, all my brighter stuff was easier to listen too. Next that upper peak seamed slightly smoothed and with it a hint more detail in that region and not really a warmer sound but a sense of ease that warmer sound tends to impart to the sound. Subtle improvement on imaging and a hint better layering. Put a few punchy bass guitar and drum tunes on and a hint more snap to the bass. Not a big deal all in all but enough to make me say no way to the T-Peos H 200's. I think on an absolute basis the 400 need a touch more bass. So I flip in the EQ on my Neco and wah lah. I have been following the Caradas Ear Mirror and am not convinced yet. I have read a few comparison of headfiers I trust and thus decided the RE 400 and the T-peos are not that far apart in performance. So where does that leave me. I want a refrence pair of earbuds and am not prepared to go custom. So I will just follow the thread and see what the consensus is on the 600's. No hurry the 400's make me smile:wink::
etysmile.gif

Glad you're enjoying the 400! If you want a tad more treble without going overboard, I would try a larger-nozzle tip. The stock large biflange can be easily modded into a medium size single flange, which fits my ears perfectly and has more treble than the stock small biflange. Seals much better, too. The mod is permanent, though, as it requires cutting the larger flange, and may require trimming the length of the nozzle depending on the shape/size of your ears.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,555 of 3,507
Hi everyone, New member to the group here, but I had done a lot of reading of the forums before joinin up. I have a pair of 10 year old Etymotic ER-6 IEMs with the yellow foam tips that I use, and I figured that the technology had improved to the point where I should replace the ER-6's. Not that I was that unhappy with them, but I was looking for a bit more bass but wanted to keep the smooth treble and detail of the ER-6's. Also I didn't want to spend too much money. The overall opinion here seems to be that the Etymotic sound is sort of on the lean side so I decided to step out to something new to see if I could get the bass and keep the detail. So I got a pair of the RE-400's. I have to say, at least to these ears, I am really disapointed in what I am hearing. This is through a Zune 80, iPod Touch 5G, iPod Nano (latest) laptop headphone out, and Nuforce micro DAC. The sound is really thin, I mean no bass at all. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over barely has a sound from the bass drum kick at the beginning. I can't hear the bass line as the song is playing. I hear a sever cupped hands type coloration that makes the music sound like it's being played through an old gramaphone horn. It doesn't matter what source or what type of music the overall sound signature is the same. Just kind of nasty. I tried all the different tips that came with the RE-400's. Couldn't get my Etymotic tips to fit. But the ER-6's are bass monsters compared to what I hear from the RE-400's. My stock Zune earbuds sound more balanced than the thin sound I am getting from the RE-400's. Maybe there is something wrong with my pair (I hope so). But it's a single driver design, so it's not like they could forget to connect the bass driver. So, I'm assuming that everyone else is not delusional, and I either have a bum pair, or my ears just don't work with these IEM's but I'll be returning these to see if something is wrong with them, and if not, I'll resume the IEM search. Chuck

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,556 of 3,507
Glad you're enjoying the 400! If you want a tad more treble without going overboard, I would try a larger-nozzle tip. The stock large biflange can be easily modded into a medium size single flange, which fits my ears perfectly and has more treble than the stock small biflange. Seals much better, too. The mod is permanent, though, as it requires cutting the larger flange, and may require trimming the length of the nozzle depending on the shape/size of your ears.

Thanks...the large biflangs are great...but much better mixed with a foam core on lower flange and a foam sleeve over the upper flange. Removed the flange kept the upper core. Seal and sound are awesome. Tonal balance is very musical and satisfying across the board. On an absolute basis a bit more transparency would be nice but that is i suspect where the 600 shows it's metal....titanium.

HAPPY LISTENING

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,557 of 3,507
Quote:
Hi everyone, New member to the group here, but I had done a lot of reading of the forums before joinin up. I have a pair of 10 year old Etymotic ER-6 IEMs with the yellow foam tips that I use, and I figured that the technology had improved to the point where I should replace the ER-6's. Not that I was that unhappy with them, but I was looking for a bit more bass but wanted to keep the smooth treble and detail of the ER-6's. Also I didn't want to spend too much money. The overall opinion here seems to be that the Etymotic sound is sort of on the lean side so I decided to step out to something new to see if I could get the bass and keep the detail. So I got a pair of the RE-400's. I have to say, at least to these ears, I am really disapointed in what I am hearing. This is through a Zune 80, iPod Touch 5G, iPod Nano (latest) laptop headphone out, and Nuforce micro DAC. The sound is really thin, I mean no bass at all. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over barely has a sound from the bass drum kick at the beginning. I can't hear the bass line as the song is playing. I hear a sever cupped hands type coloration that makes the music sound like it's being played through an old gramaphone horn. It doesn't matter what source or what type of music the overall sound signature is the same. Just kind of nasty. I tried all the different tips that came with the RE-400's. Couldn't get my Etymotic tips to fit. But the ER-6's are bass monsters compared to what I hear from the RE-400's. My stock Zune earbuds sound more balanced than the thin sound I am getting from the RE-400's. Maybe there is something wrong with my pair (I hope so). But it's a single driver design, so it's not like they could forget to connect the bass driver. So, I'm assuming that everyone else is not delusional, and I either have a bum pair, or my ears just don't work with these IEM's but I'll be returning these to see if something is wrong with them, and if not, I'll resume the IEM search. Chuck

Um...the ER-6 is probably the most bass-light phone I've ever heard. Something is wrong with your RE-400.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,558 of 3,507
Quote:
 Maybe there is something wrong with my pair (I hope so). But it's a single driver design, so it's not like they could forget to connect the bass driver. So, I'm assuming that everyone else is not delusional, and I either have a bum pair, or my ears just don't work with these IEM's but I'll be returning these to see if something is wrong with them, and if not, I'll resume the IEM search. Chuck

Are you sure that you're getting a good seal?

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,559 of 3,507
Quote:

Um...the ER-6 is probably the most bass-light phone I've ever heard. Something is wrong with your RE-400.

Or more likely there is an issue with fit and insertion depth. Try tip rolling. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,560 of 3,507
Quote:

How are the mids and highs? Is the sound also shrill? Most likely you are not getting a good seal. Try pushing the IEMs deeper into your ears and experiment with different tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back