Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Sep 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,973 of 3,507
  Seems to be a mixed bag on build quality. I'm at a bit over a year on mine. I do keep them in the case often, but I also end up sleeping on them at least once a week. Scratches all over the housing, but they sound as great as when I got them. 

KNOCK ON WOOD

Didn't knock on wood hard enough. Left earphone = dead. Strain relief came loose and i imagine the solder joint eventually just failed due to strain. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,974 of 3,507
^Welcome to the club.  I was about to sell my RE600 to spare me this cable/build quality issue, alas the left earphone randomly goes off to completely off.  I loved the sound though, but if hifiman releases products with high chance of dying on you, it really should be hated.  I am now off looking to recable them, where this item shouldve just included detachable cables in the first place

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,975 of 3,507
  ^Welcome to the club.  I was about to sell my RE600 to spare me this cable/build quality issue, alas the left earphone randomly goes off to completely off.  I loved the sound though, but if hifiman releases products with high chance of dying on you, it really should be hated.  I am now off looking to recable them, where this item shouldve just included detachable cables in the first place

Unfortunately detachable cables is not a fix-all solution. Vsonic ran into numerous problems with their detachable VSD3(particularly with the connector). So much so, that they launched a fixed cable version alongside it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,976 of 3,507
  Unfortunately detachable cables is not a fix-all solution. Vsonic ran into numerous problems with their detachable VSD3(particularly with the connector). So much so, that they launched a fixed cable version alongside it.

Nah, it's just Vsonic they failed on their VSD3/3S first batch version but not all the mfr ran into issues....Infact my first batch VSD3S (pre-ordered one) still serves me good and going strong.

RC have lot of advantages over fixed ones, like
1) choice of After-market cables that fits our budget.
2) easy cable replacement if it breaks.
3) we can DIY end-to-end (straight/braided cable,OFC/SPC,pins,sockets,3.5/6.3/2.5mm straight/angled jacks, Balanced/SE etc)
4) no need to open the shells for cable replacements, thus avoiding damage to the shells/drivers.

And if the fixed cable version bite it's dust, most of the users sell them cheaper/trash/they preserve in the drawer, as most of them either afraid to fix the cable issues thinking its a rocket science to do the re-cabling or hesitate to pay (labor+s/h) to the fixer, thinking that adding some $$ to that fees, they might end buying another new pair..

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,980 of 3,507
  Why invent something that is useless and can be harmful? This body is not glued that hard. Knife is more than sufficient.

K, duly noted.....TY for the useful hint!
smile.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #2,981 of 3,507
  Nah, it's just Vsonic they failed on their VSD3/3S first batch version but not all the mfr ran into issues....Infact my first batch VSD3S (pre-ordered one) still serves me good and going strong.

RC have lot of advantages over fixed ones, like
1) choice of After-market cables that fits our budget.
2) easy cable replacement if it breaks.
3) we can DIY end-to-end (straight/braided cable,OFC/SPC,pins,sockets,3.5/6.3/2.5mm straight/angled jacks, Balanced/SE etc)
4) no need to open the shells for cable replacements, thus avoiding damage to the shells/drivers.

And if the fixed cable version bite it's dust, most of the users sell them cheaper/trash/they preserve in the drawer, as most of them either afraid to fix the cable issues thinking its a rocket science to do the re-cabling or hesitate to pay (labor+s/h) to the fixer, thinking that adding some $$ to that fees, they might end buying another new pair..

Didn't know the Vsonic issue was only limited to the first batch. Sorry about that.

RCs are great and offer all the advantages that you listed. What I meant to say was, simply going RC is not enough. "Poor reliability" can apply to anything. And could also apply to RC IEMs that HiFiMAN may or may not build. Vsonic was an example of what could go wrong in RC land.
Hifiman needs to to up their build quality in general and add RC while they're at it, for added reliability.

PS: My RE400 is also going strong(nearly 2 years), but sleeps on a bed of sponge, in a steel vault, in it's designated drawer, and never leaves the house...........annnnd The wire at the Y split is slightly showing now :frowning2:
PS1: My DUNU Titan 1 has been put through the ringer and is occasionally used as a belt, but shows no sign of wear. It is possible to make a very reliable fixed cable IEM and I hope HiFiMAN will deliver, because I'm a HiFiFan-Man/Boy

Edit: Rogue comma

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #2,983 of 3,507
  Didn't know the Vsonic issue was only limited to the first batch. Sorry about that.

RCs are great and offer all the advantages that you listed. What I meant to say was, simply going RC is not enough. "Poor reliability" can apply to anything. And could also apply to RC IEMs that HiFiMAN may or may not build. Vsonic was an example of what could go wrong in RC land.
Hifiman needs to to up their build quality in general and add RC cables while they're at it, for added reliability.

PS: My RE400 is also going strong(nearly 2 years), but sleeps on a bed of sponge, in a steel vault, in it's designated drawer, and never leaves the house...........annnnd The wire at the Y split is slightly showing now :frowning2:
PS1: My DUNU Titan 1 has been put through the ringer and is occasionally used as a belt, but shows no sign of wear. It is possible to make a very reliable fixed cable IEM and I hope HiFiMAN will deliver, because I'm a HiFiFan-Man/Boy

Edit: Rogue comma

Yeah, "Poor reliability" is what if not done in right direction, for anything......in this case its something what Vsonic put 11th hour efforts on their "proprietary mmcx" type socket (due to VSD3/3S release date deadline?) that ended up with "Poor QA" in the prod run. BUT, in reality, it's the "Poor implementation" part that mattered which they never cared of, not their proprietary mmcx they developed. Even my tf10's stock cable failed on me within it's reasonable life tho I replace them in a box after use.It's again a "Poor reliability" on the stock UE cable not the IEM itself nor UE's 2 pin design. just sayin....

And Yes, we STILL believe HFM is hearing us what we repeatedly voice about their poor cable implementation with RE-400/600s and we wld expect ATLEAST like what a $5-$10 KZ iems offering (cable/jack) along with HFM sound that we love, on their future IEMs? (hope so). No matter it's fixed or RC cables.

Hmm, sorry to hear about your waterline, and don't know when mine's gonna give me surprise -tho- I double baby them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back