Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,958 of 3,507
  hifiman re-400 often fail? Left or right speaker

Yes, they do fail often. Could be either speaker. I am on my second pair that is starting to go out after ~6 months. It sucks because they sound so great and are really comfortable, nice looking IEMs. I'm going to keep these until they are completely dead and have the recabled one day. One day....

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2,959 of 3,507
Could we petition? I wouldn't mind paying more for quality cables! It's the only concern that holds me back

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,960 of 3,507
Seems to be a mixed bag on build quality. I'm at a bit over a year on mine. I do keep them in the case often, but I also end up sleeping on them at least once a week. Scratches all over the housing, but they sound as great as when I got them. 

KNOCK ON WOOD

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,961 of 3,507
  Seems to be a mixed bag on build quality. I'm at a bit over a year on mine. I do keep them in the case often, but I also end up sleeping on them at least once a week. Scratches all over the housing, but they sound as great as when I got them. 

KNOCK ON WOOD

oooooh thats scary! i would never do that with my pair 
basshead.gif

mines is going on 2 years now (mines are i think a part of the 1st-2nd batch (i think 2nd batch because i got the hard shell carrying case and not the wind up stick) , but with infrequent use after the 1st year (too many earphones to 1 set of ears).

good problem to have (i'm very fortunate) 

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,962 of 3,507
Just tried my RE-400 with Flare Audio silicon tips made for their R2 series IEMs. Though these silicons didn't work with R2PROs (dull, dark, veiled), they seem to have a good synergy with RE-400 providing that missing bit of lower frequences response.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #2,965 of 3,507
Anyone knows who could change the plug to make it single ended. The plug it's failing so I would like to change it. Any company? I would change it myself but I don't know how to deal with the cables, anyone's knows the scheme, like the colors and how it attach them to the new plug?

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,968 of 3,507
Anyone know how to open up the housing of a Re400? Someone mentioned that btg audio refused to mod the 400 as the driver is too fragile. Mine is still working fine, but I wanted to swap out that annoying cable, it makes tons of noise rubbing against the shirt, and wearing it over the ear didn't help much. Is the 2 piece housing glued on or actually screwed on?

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,969 of 3,507
Anyone know how to open up the housing of a Re400? Someone mentioned that btg audio refused to mod the 400 as the driver is too fragile. Mine is still working fine, but I wanted to swap out that annoying cable, it makes tons of noise rubbing against the shirt, and wearing it over the ear didn't help much. Is the 2 piece housing glued on or actually screwed on?

No idea about how the housing can be opened.
But, Vesper Audio does offer cable replacements for HiFiMAN IEMs
http://vesperaudio.com/gallery/43-fixed-cable-recables?brand=86

Also, they could probably address your housing query

Users who are viewing this thread

Back