Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
May 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,926 of 3,507
  enjoyed the sweet read! nice to know the where the re400 stands now .. especially with the slew of earphones coming out in the chinese/ asian market! 

did you find the rockets eartips slip off easily? they seem like they are practically glued to your ears once their in, and it would require a tow truck to yank them out (that kind of seal sounds interesting but at the same time worrisome) 0.0 not sure how i feel about that! 

That... is complicated... The tips aren't silicone; they are a medical grade thermoplastic elastomer... So they have a lot of similar properties to rubber... Like they are sticky in nature. This causes them to grip your ear and stay in very well. This is usually a good thing. However, like rubber they also expand very easily under heat. So while under regular usage if the tip stays below the expansion point it stays on the housing of the IEM very well, if not... well then it can and will come off in your ear and chances are if they are deep in you'll need a set of tweezers to get them out. It has only happened to me once and it was annoying, but using other tips will mitigate that issue. 

There are other issues too... they will, over time, mold to your ear. Which you would think is a good thing, but unfortunately it actually cuts down on the seal you get, at least in my experience. I've rotated the tips and flipped them between ears to continue to get a good seal.

Just to bring this back to topic about the RE400s. I actually wasn't able to find a really usable tip from the selection they gave me so I ended up buying some Auvio tips (which work really well for them). For the Rockets I didn't but I'm highly considering investing in some Comply tips. 

May 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,927 of 3,507
Hey I'm using the Auvio tips on my RE-400s as well! They're great. I too could not get the provided tips to work with my ears but the Auvios create a great seal and their bore matches up well with the bore of the earphones.

May 16, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,928 of 3,507
I finally settled with the smallest of all Sony Hybrid sizes and the fit is great. They allow a very deep seal and the comfort is by far the best. With the stock bi-flanges I kept getting soreness in my canal and my ears became very itchy after a while.

May 19, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,929 of 3,507
I've got to admit - some would rank the re 600 over the rockets regarding the SQ but I can't help but feel worried about the life span of the songbird!

I owned the Miles Davis Trumpets but got them replaced 4x due to the not so eternally true lifetime guarantee - That was pretty much the best upgrade to the Re400 (more refined microdetailed version with wide soundstage +more subbass +8k airy smooth)

but dammit it's disheartening seeing them have crappie cables!

May 20, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2,930 of 3,507
Guys, do you think the RE400 and RE600's sound signature complement each other?  Is it a good idea to own both?

My RE600 is under warranty repair, and I found a great deal for the RE400.  I only heard the RE400 way back for awhile, and I cant recall how it can compare to the RE600.  Hoping it would be like the Momentum and MOE, where balanced and v-shape sound sig respectively complements each other.

May 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,931 of 3,507
I have a similar question. I just ordered the HM700 RE600 package yesterday. I'm not regretting my purchase but I'm kind of thinking I should have done a little more research. I guess I'm going to find out regardless.

But would you guys say it's necessary to get the HM700? I have an X3II that I love but I figured for $100 more I figured I'd try the balance/synergy. If the difference compared to the X3 is minute, then I might not even touch it and put it up on ebay instead. 

May 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,932 of 3,507
  I have a similar question. I just ordered the HM700 RE600 package yesterday. I'm not regretting my purchase but I'm kind of thinking I should have done a little more research. I guess I'm going to find out regardless.

But would you guys say it's necessary to get the HM700? I have an X3II that I love but I figured for $100 more I figured I'd try the balance/synergy. If the difference compared to the X3 is minute, then I might not even touch it and put it up on ebay instead. 

I'm willing to bet the X3II has a better UI and is just overall easier to use. But I will say the RE-600s sound just a bit better running balanced with my HM-700. I think you'll mostly use the X3 though.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,933 of 3,507
I thought i would help revive this thread, with a comparison between the hifiman re400 and the Dunu Titan 1s! I have attached below my written and video review!

Enjoy!
http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/13302

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #2,937 of 3,507
  I'm willing to bet the X3II has a better UI and is just overall easier to use. But I will say the RE-600s sound just a bit better running balanced with my HM-700. I think you'll mostly use the X3 though.

Yeah the HM-700 is smoother but the x3 has more punch especially on high gain.

Has anyone used the re400's at the gym or for running? I sweat a lot, like shirt drenched but my Klipsch S4i sports have held up no problem. Is like the "sports" just a gimmick or will using the re400's instead damage them?

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,940 of 3,507
Recently found out that the channels on my RE-400s are switched; sound that's supposed to come out of the left ear piece comes out of the right and vice versa. Oh HiFiMAN, why must your QA be so low? They still sound great though, so much so that it's hard to listen to my other IEMs for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back