Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #2,312 of 3,507
I just got my pair of RE-400s earlier today, and I have quite a few thoughts on them.

First of all, I have been using a pair of Hifiman HE-500s for daily at-home listening, and Hifiman RE-0s for on-the-go; but since the latter broke, I was in the market for a new pair of IEMs.

Coming from the RE-0, the first thing I noticed is that the RE-400 have a much deeper fit with the stock biflanges. This is great, because I was never able to get a good seal with the RE-0 and its shallow insertion depth. This in turn makes for much better isolation and fit.

The soundstage of the RE-400 is pretty impressive. Neither my belated RE-0 nor my HE-500 have as wide a soundstage or instrument separation. Granted, planar headphones like the HE-500 aren't exactly known for their soundstage, but my point stands.

As far as the bass goes, the RE-400 have much, much better bass in terms of both quality and quantity than the RE-0 were ever able to accomplish. It extends much deeper and has substantially more power (though this was a known weakness of the RE-0). This isn't to say that they are excessively bassy by any means, but they posses a surprisingly accurate and deep low end for an IEM.

The mids are also more present on the RE-400 than RE-0, which could be both a good and a bad thing. Since they have a pretty substantial bump at 2KHz, some might find this slightly unpleasant (some might describe it as "shouty" or "honky" mids). Headphones that people generally agree to have a "pleasing" and "laid-back" sound signature (like the HE-500) often attenuate the 2k frequency to mitigate this issue. However, in general the mids (like the rest of the headphone) are pretty darn accurate and to my ears sound better than the RE-0.

The treble is the only category where I would say the RE-0 have the upper hand over the RE-400. Since the RE-400 has a darker [deeper, richer, pick your semantically vacuous adjective] sound signature, the treble is slightly less present, which is most noticeable when listening to vocal music. This can also be determined through visual inspection of the measured frequency response, which shows a big dip in at 4KHz (the "in your face, presence" frequencies), and a slightly smaller dip at 8KHz ("sparkle").

To mitigate some of the issues I mentioned regarding the shortcomings I perceived with the RE-400, I made a sample equalization profile I'm using with MediaMonkey. If you don't believe in equalization or don't hear the same things I do, feel free to totally ignore it.

vnWoh7C.png

All in all, the RE-400 turned out to be an astonishingly good buy, and I think they categorically outclass their predecessor (the RE-0) in nearly every way and make few compromises with regards to sound quality, despite their price. I can't imagine getting much better sound for only $100.

If actually they do sound great, their cable is very bad, break very fast, cutting sound in one side of the earphone. I did purchased one and had to replace it twice in 18 month, last Hifiman purchase for me.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,313 of 3,507
  If actually they do sound great, their cable is very bad, break very fast, cutting sound in one side of the earphone. I did purchased one and had to replace it twice in 18 month, last Hifiman purchase for me.

That looks like the old headphone jack BTW, they changed the headphone jack due to build issues.  The new one is 90-degree terminated instead of a 45-degree curved termination.  

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #2,315 of 3,507
I've had the RE-600S for a couple of days now and I have to say, it's okay.
The cables are thicker and more supple than those of the RE-400. It has a straight plug which I'm not a fan of. I've had problems w/ the strain relief leading into the phones w/ the RE-400 so I'd worry a little about that. Aside from that, they feel solid and I have no other problems w/ the build quality.
Comfort, like the RE-400, is amazing. The stock small double flanges allow deep insertion and I've worn them for hours w/ no problem.

As for the sound, I'd call it thick. 
Dark and warm.
Soundstage is wider compared to a lot of IEMs I've tried (<=$200)
The mids are the focus. Very thick and lush. Too thick for me.
The bass is just the right amount, not anemic and not overblown, for my tastes anyway. I don't listen to much EDM and related genres where bass plays a bigger part though.
However, the treble is too subdued for my taste. It's very smooth and drum hits and cymbal crashes don't have the impact I think they should, they sound clear but lack sparkle. Too polite.
The one up side to this is that it never becomes harsh or sibilant.

The sound is generally safe and inoffensive, it can play well w/ most genres.
Personally, I like a stronger treble that brings with it a sense of more detail and more clarity.
I believe the non-S version out of a balanced source would sound much better.

It improves on all aspects of the RE-400, marginally. Not sure how much of an upgrade it'd be considered though. I actually kind of prefer the RE-400.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,316 of 3,507

That looks like the old headphone jack BTW, they changed the headphone jack due to build issues.  The new one is 90-degree terminated instead of a 45-degree curved termination.  

actually i think thats the second iterations, there seems to be 3 iterations from the sound if it

here is a a picture of the first iteration where the jack is made of a harder plastic and and well... you can see for yourself. the edge is more edged and the strain relief doesn't look as good as the one pictured above

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,317 of 3,507
actually i think thats the second iterations, there seems to be 3 iterations from the sound if it

here is a a picture of the first iteration where the jack is made of a harder plastic and and well... you can see for yourself. the edge is more edged and the strain relief doesn't look as good as the one pictured above

Did they change it again after April of this year? That's when I saw HiFiMan with the 90-degree jack.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #2,319 of 3,507

i guess so i got these re400s about 1 month or so after they came out in canada.

any chance for a picture of the 90 degree jack?

I might have taken a picture of it at the meet, but that was about 6 months ago.  I don't think I have those pictures on me any longer :/  

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,321 of 3,507

The later RE-400s have been better quality and more reliable. If any RE-400 owners are having trouble, just contact customer service and we will replace them under warranty. Just be prepared to show us proof of purchase.

Thanks,
Peter 

I recently purchased the flexible 45 degree jack version of the RE-400. As has been discussed a bit in this thread, I'm very curious if there is in fact a 3rd iteration of the design with better durability.

Thanks,

Michael

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #2,324 of 3,507

Don't know why you're talking about RE400S, there's no sign of an updated version on their website, by opposition to RE600 & RE600S. The RE400 seems to be exactly the same...

I'm pretty sure Tom22 was just using the plural, not talking about a new edition.

To the point: I got mine replaced and now have the new jack. However, plugging them into my phone and then walking around at work still gives me plenty of temporary cutouts, ie I have to twist or jerk the jack a little bit to get the "full" connection. Still, they sound absolutely great so I'm not shelving them as such but I do wish Hifiman will start to get better at the whole cables business.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,325 of 3,507
I'm pretty sure Tom22 was just using the plural, not talking about a new edition.

To the point: I got mine replaced and now have the new jack. However, plugging them into my phone and then walking around at work still gives me plenty of temporary cutouts, ie I have to twist or jerk the jack a little bit to get the "full" connection. Still, they sound absolutely great so I'm not shelving them as such but I do wish Hifiman will start to get better at the whole cables business.
[/quote

Yes i was sorry for the confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back