Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Jan 8, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #46 of 666

Yepp, but it still have better sound than ZX2 you're goin' to buy.

Text analysis of a useless post:

"that you are going to buy"

Well, first I am glad you are following my posts and know exactly what I am going to buy, while I do not know you (and do not wish to now).

"but it still have better sound than ZX2"

If you really knew me, you would know I have always advocated that the 901 is by far the best sounding DAP on the market, and I own / have owned most of them.
This does not change change the fact that TO MY TASTE the 901 was ugly (and too big, reason for me selling) and the 901s seems just as ugly TO MY TASTE.
Besides you have no clue what the ZX2 will sound like, and also no clue what the 901s will sound like.

To summarize : you post is aggressive, useless, does not address the post you quoted, and states facts you know nothing about. Nice!

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #47 of 666
Am as guilty as you of reacting to rude and "not so smart" comments. So a reminder for both of us:

koTECH has so far not added anything valuable to any discussion. In each of his posts he stirred up confusion - you are lucky, he didn't post here for 2 years and you triggered this outburst of kindness and helpfulness. I blocked him, will never see his posts again, feels good.

Cheers,
K

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #49 of 666
I would say both look fairly ugly to my taste.

Yea neither looks good... But I have to say the new casing, while far from good looking, at least isn't as hideous as our beloved 901 original. For Rmb999 I'm willing to send her in for a facelift. Do we know if upgraded/modded units get warranty extended and how long?

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #50 of 666
Agreed, they both are somewhat ugly and clunky looking by today's standards, but I don't care about that much. Size, sound and function and... battery life! matter most to me. . 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #51 of 666
I only want to change to S to get rid of the stupid normal/balance switch and resulting balance problem. No news yet from Head Direct

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #52 of 666
I used the 901s quite a bit at CES last week, a few thoughts:

* Startup time is very quick, however this is due to the device being in a sleep-like state when "off", which will result in the battery running down if not used, to flat after a couple weeks

* The battery is accessible/replaceable, however two small screws must be removed to open the battery door (apparently to take care of complaints that the battery came out of the 901 too easily, not a problem I ever had).  No word on battery life being different from the 901.

* The upgraded processer runs the UI faster the the 901, and completed scanning my 128GB card in less than two minutes, as opposed to five or so for the standard 901.

* Screen had much better viewing angles than my 901.

* New click wheel feels quite a bit better than the old one, fast-forwarding or rewinding tracks was also more responsive.

* Did not notice any significant sound quality difference to the 901.

All in all, it's a sleeker, more responsive HM901 with the same great sound quality we've enjoyed from that player.  The battery is only slightly harder to change, if needed, and isn't a major issue to me.  The change of the filter and gain switches to software controls also makes for a nicer body, as does the elimination of the balanced switch in favor of a separate jack.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #53 of 666
Very informative summary, thanks!

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #54 of 666
the design has put me off, reminds me of the old PDAs.
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #55 of 666
Now the only question that comes to my mind,, can I use it to output music from a laptop or some other device?

I would love to use the DAC/AMP of the hifiman,, I guess it would have to act like a usb sound card. Does anyone know anything about this? I think Ak-240 has but im not sure.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #56 of 666
Now the only question that comes to my mind,, can I use it to output music from a laptop or some other device?

I would love to use the DAC/AMP of the hifiman,, I guess it would have to act like a usb sound card. Does anyone know anything about this? I think Ak-240 has but im not sure.

ive read somewhere in other forum that it can now be used as dac/amp when connected to a laptop...
but i doubt it...
perhaps again thru the DOCK...

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #57 of 666

ive read somewhere in other forum that it can now be used as dac/amp when connected to a laptop...
but i doubt it...
perhaps again thru the DOCK...

I just hate the idea of stationing a portable setup aka the DOCK

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #59 of 666
Is this a released product?
Don't seem to have any review..
And what about the upgrading from 901 to 901s...very slow in happening..

Sorry if I'm being ignorant...

Announced, not released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back